Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Donald

Author Topic: Donald
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been trying to finish up some stories I've had sitting incomplete and came across this one yesterday. Its a short story, not quite finished, but the first 2 chapters (1,600 words only) are more or less complete and i would like to get a crit. I had posted this before, but ages ago, and have revised the first 13 lines.

“Donald? Donny! I need my Pop Tarts! Are they almost done? Donald? Doonnaaallllldd!?” The nagging voice dug into Donald Morden’s ears like rusty nails, burrowing toward each other, trying to reach the center of his brain. He gripped the lip of the kitchen counter and squeezed his eyes shut, repressing the urge to walk into the next room and strangle his fat mother. An image of her enormously saggy arms flailing appeared in his mind, her eyes bulging as his thin hands buried between her chubby chin and plump neck, cutting off her windpipe with a slow firmness that made him grin.
The timer on the toaster oven gave a sudden DING! Donald shook the forbidden picture out of his mind and thought no more of it. He juggled the hot pastries out of the oven and onto a

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
The good news is I find the first line very annoying, which conveys a good sense of the mother's character.
The bad news is I find the first line very annoying, which makes me consider not reading on.
Do you cut out a couple of the "Donalds", perhaps making the mother less vivid but making it easier for the reader (maybe just me in particular)? I don't know... I'll leave it up to you.

"...as his thin hands buried..."
Maybe, "...as he buried his thin hands..."?

"toaster oven gave a sudden DING!"
Could lose the "sudden". The timer dung when it elapsed, just when it was supposed to. It wasn't really "sudden".

I think I'd like to wait until the whole story is done before I read the whole thing. Let me know.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole
Member # 3549

- posted      Profile for Nicole   Email Nicole         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Devnal!

I don't have a problem with the first line at all, I think it's brilliant. I felt repulsed and harassed and that's what I look for in fiction: feeling through a character.

Also, it's excellent characterization.

Now, reading the rest, I see sparkling lines and lines that I don't really need because they tell me things I already know.

>>>The nagging voice dug into Donald Morden’s ears like rusty nails, burrowing toward each other, trying to reach the center of his brain.

Don't need to tell me it's a nagging voice, you showed me perfectly in the first line. The rest of the line, I don't really need, if I compare it to the one that follows it:

>>>He gripped the lip of the kitchen counter and squeezed his eyes shut,

This, I need and like. This shows me a reaction, it doesn't tell me about it. The rest of the sentence, I don't need either because I already have the image of poor Donald gripping the counter. I do like him picturing his mother's death, just not the line "repressing the urge to walk into the next room and strangle his fat mother". I feel this line is telling, and I've read it a million times.

>>>An image of her enormously saggy arms flailing appeared in his mind, her eyes bulging as his thin hands buried between her chubby chin and plump neck, cutting off her windpipe with a slow firmness that made him grin.

I like this, very graphic. You could split it in two and make "made him grin" a new sentence. Like, "He grinned". In the long sentence his reaction to the image gets lost to me.

>>>Donald shook the forbidden picture out of his mind and thought no more of it.

Hmmm, again, I don't really needs this. Murdering your mother is sort of forbidden already, no matter how annoying she is

This are minor things:

instead of "The timer on the toaster oven gave a sudden DING!" you could just use "dinged". I'm not a native English speaker but I think that's a verb, or it could, or it should.

All the things I've said are, of course, suggestions, nothing more.

Overall, I liked the first 13. No idea about the next 13 lines, though.

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited June 12, 2009).]

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.