Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Spirit of the Lion (New Version) Fantasy 1600 words

Author Topic: Spirit of the Lion (New Version) Fantasy 1600 words
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've added some to this to hopefully make it a story, rather than a vignette. Readers welcome.

Fenar pulled his horse to stop at his brother’s signal. Torkaz stopped, too, not quite as quickly.

“There, by that rock. Look close,” Vatar said.

Fenar looked where his older brother pointed. First he made out the darker mane of the male lion, then its huge body. Three females lay nearby, watching the three boys with mild interest.

“What do we do?” Fenar asked, proud that he kept his voice steady despite the appraising gaze of the lions.

“Nothing. They’ve eaten recently. They only want to be left alone. We just ride on.”

“How can you know that?”

Vatar smiled. “I just sense it. Since I got my Clan

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a major hook here--some docile lions and some lads looking at them.

I think you could trim this a bit and work in your hook. Is it vitally important for us to know that Torkaz doesn't stop as quickly as Fenar? For a moment I stopped to wonder if Torkaz was the brother who made the signal to stop. I think you could clarify this and cut it down to something like, "The two boys pulled their horses to a stop at Vatar's signal." or something like that to save yourself a few words and simplify the opening. You could work in which two are brothers at a more natural point later on.

First he made out the darker mane of the male lion, then its huge body. Three females lay nearby, watching the three boys with mild interest. This reads a little strangely to me--he can barely make out the mane and then suddenly he's seeing the body and then three females. I think you might be better served by giving us a setting while describing the lions. All I know at the minute is there is a rock with some lions next to it. Where are we? I think you could better describe the lions and how difficult it is to see them if you use the surroundings, such as the shadows dappling through the trees or something like that.

Aside from that, I can't help wondering why this would be a good place to start the story, whether four idle lions doing nothing are worthy of the opening to a short story. If the point of the opening is to show Vatar's connection to lions, I think you could do it in a much more active way.

I'll read the whole thing if you like--I've (amazingly) got a couple of free evenings coming up to catch up on some crits.

Oh, and thanks for offering to read "In The Garden Of Time", though if you're not too keen on a bit of blood, I wouldn't want to upset you with the ending so I thought I'd play it safe and not send it on

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
It took some work for me to figure out that Vatar was the brother who gave the signal.

The effort and slow resolution of making out the lions would depend on distance and background contrast. Is the distance between the boys and lions important later in the story? If so, it might be worth mention while they are trying to see.

There isn't much of the speculative or fantasy in this start. I'm more curious than hooked, so I'll offer to read it if you like.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHopper
Member # 8652

- posted      Profile for TheHopper   Email TheHopper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no expert, by any means. My hooks are worse than yours.
But If you'd like me to read, I will. I admit, I'm slightly interested, but you'll have to do a lot of work in the next few lines, or I'll put it down.

Give me the story. I'll read it.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm, sounds familiar. I'll take a look at it. Send it along. Right now, the hook isn't super strong because everyone is real quiet and there is obviously no real threat.

They sense the lions, but there's a lot they can sense.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love any story that begins with lions.

I think you need more setting to this to help ground the reader. When Fenar looks for the lion describe the scenary a little before he can make out the lion on the rock. What color is the rock? Is there long grass? Are they on a savannah? I also want to know how far away the lions are from the boys. If the lions are really close to them that adds more tension.

Also in my first read, I thought the females were human not lionesses (is that the proper plural for lioness?). Maybe it was just me, but you might want to make that more clear.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read this one too. Send it on please!
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.