Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » On the Streets of Hell - Literary flash fiction

Author Topic: On the Streets of Hell - Literary flash fiction
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

This is a story written for a challenge on this site, and now I'd like to get it submitteed. Current word count is around 920, so I'm definitely looking for readers of the whole thing. It's a quick read!

And I'd like a vote: Keep the 'sang' or replace/omit it?

Thanks so much!

newest version:

Kelsey sprinted across the room, nearly tripping several cardboard boxes in her haste to answer the phone. “Kelsey Adams, future Los Angeles businesswoman,” she sang.
“Ms. Adams, this is Morrison from accounting.”
“Oh, hello,” Kelsey said. Her fingers tightened on the receiver. What possible reason could her new company have to call her at home?
“I have some bad news. It seems that we cannot bring you to Los Angeles after all.”
Kelsey choked out a laugh. “You mean, my move is delayed?”
“No, Ms. Adams.” Morrison sounded brisk, almost bored. “The company has declared bankruptcy, and as a part of our restructuring plan, we have to terminate all new hires.”

first:
Kelsey sprinted across the room, nearly tripping several cardboard boxes in her haste to answer the phone. “Kelsey Adams, future Los Angeles businesswoman,” she sang.
“Ms. Adams, this is Morrison from accounting.”
“Oh, hello,” Kelsey said. Her fingers tightened on the receiver. What possible reason could her new company have to call her at home?
“I have some bad news. It seems that we cannot bring you to Los Angeles after all.”
Kelsey choked out a laugh. “You mean, my move is delayed?”
“No, Ms. Adams.” Morrison sounded brisk, almost bored. “The person whose job you were taking has decided not to quit after all."

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited June 17, 2009).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHopper
Member # 8652

- posted      Profile for TheHopper   Email TheHopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! The poor, poor, woman! XD

One thing though, is it realistic for this sort of thing to happen in real life at all? If someone had gone so far in quitting that they had given their two weeks notice, and the company had actually gone so far as to hire a replacement, I don't think the company would be pleased at all that the first person changed their mind.

I would think it far more likely that the company would say, "What? You want your job BACK?" and then boot him or her to the curb without so much as a christmas bonus. Especially since I'm pretty sure that you can sue a company for libel if they hire you and then go back on a that contract before she starts(assuming she had gotten as far as to sign a contract, that is). And If she hadn't signed a contract yet, then why would she be packing? I wouldn't dare relocate for a job unless I actually had signed the contract saying I was hired first. I had thought that was common practice...?

Other than that, my heart goes out to the woman. But it doesn't seem to be going in a direction that's my cup of tea.

p.s. Love the "sang", adds great characterization to her, I feel.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

That scenario happened to one of my friends. But should I change it back to what it was at first, that the economy killed Kelsey's new job? (I changed it because I worried economy stories might become cliche)
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sang" shows me Kelsey's emotional high and her excitement over the new job, moving and all. That high crashes in the next few lines in a big contrast with 'sang.' A mundane word like 'said' would be easier to read, but wouldn't give the same impact. It takes more work to read a tag with something other than 'said', but in this case readers get what they pay for.

There is that risk that economy stories are becoming cliche, but it avoids the problem TheHopper points out. If the company hires nobody for the job, there isn't a legal complaint even if Kelsey has been hired--she just got laid off. If they hire anyone, even the former employee, the company would be faced with an issue.

I'll offer to read if you like.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Especially since I'm pretty sure that you can sue a company for libel if they hire you and then go back on a that contract before she starts(assuming she had gotten as far as to sign a contract, that is). And If she hadn't signed a contract yet, then why would she be packing? I wouldn't dare relocate for a job unless I actually had signed the contract saying I was hired first. I had thought that was common practice...?

Well, it certainly wouldn't be libel (which is a form of defamation, like slander. Slander is spoken; libel is written.). If there were a contract involved, there might be some form of breach of contract. However, most employment, at least where I come from (Los Angeles), is at will, which means either party can terminate at any time. You are not legally required to give notice, although it's good practice.

As for taking the previous employee back, that would depend on who they were, how valuable they were to the company, and why they were leaving. If it was the boss' daughter who changed her mind . . . . Or, if the employee was taking a promotion that is no longer available, they would likely get first chance of keeping their old job. The employee is a known quantity. The new-hire isn't.

Companies look ahead before they hire. For something like this to happen because of the economy, there would have to be something sudden--like the company was just bought up in a merger (think banks) or just filed for bankruptcy (think GM).

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

In my work in the Park Service, you signed all the papers once you arrived at the work site. But I changed the start anyway; again, no use having that in the first thirteen if it provokes discussion so as to take away from the rest of the story, which isn't at all about the economy.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read this and found it to be a wonderful and enlighting piece. I recommend it to anyone that is looking for something to read.

A couple of things in the opening.

Would it be someone from accounting to let her know her job is no longer available? That's a job for personal.

The first drafts, retiring person she is replacing changing their minds, as opposed to a bankruptcy, works better. Makes it more cold, which is best for the theme you are after. However a colder explanation would be a simple open ended 'cut backs'. Makes the excuse a corporate number crunching one and elminates any compassion her expected employer could have had.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited June 17, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to have a read. The premise of the newest version seems more believable to me than the second.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.