Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Man in the mirror - Scifi - 4,400 words

Author Topic: Man in the mirror - Scifi - 4,400 words
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I started this writing thing last year, I've piled up about a dozen stories that I never submitted or anything. I'm going back through them to see what I have. This is a light-hearted one that starts out pretty mundane, but goes kind of crazy at the end. It's also probably the only thing I've written that might be considered scifi. Some of you might remember it. Looking for readers before I send it out.

1st thirteen

Mel Norman squinted at the bathroom mirror and a stranger stared back.
He spun around reflexively to find the intruder, but he was alone.
In the mirror was a short, stout, dark-haired and completely unfamiliar reflection mimicking his every move.
A slow boil began in the pit of Mel’s stomach.
"Honey!" he drew the word out and terminated it with a shrill whine.
The stranger in the mirror was sweating by the time Mel’s wife poked her head into the bathroom.
"Must you? At this hour? What?" she said.
Mel was irritated by her tone, and her inattention. He spread his hands and gestured like a game show hostess at his face.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to read it.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an interesting opening. The only thing that bothers me is the line-by-line choppiness. I definitely would like to know what is going on with this character though.

I enjoyed your last story so much I would love to give this one a read if I didn't scare you off with my last critique. Let me know.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.