Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Best Intentions

Author Topic: The Best Intentions
Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a raw draft (somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd edit) of something I just recently finished.
There are holes in it, and am looking for fresh eyes to help me find them.
One of my specific concerns is word count. I am aiming for 10000 or less. I am currently under, but not by much.
All feedback welcome and please, be brutal. I'm wearing my armored ego from the Hatrack Utility Belt so I can take it.
Thanks in advance.

Version 1:

Silvery moonlight shone brighter than he cared for, but they could do nothing about it without magical aid. Asrone looked behind him along the road and adjusted the sleeves of his robe. A shiver, slight, but telling wracked his slight frame. They should have been gone from here already.
“I can feel magic here, Oren, but I don’t think I can sense the stronger wards,” Asrone told him as he stepped into the cramped dark common area of the cabin. Oren was already searching the unkempt table, trying not to knock over the unlit lamp sitting there. Asrone rooted around the shelves, shifting crooked books only slightly. They were to leave no evidence that they had been there. Asrone cast a cursory glance at the unwashed crockery on the countertop and dismissed it.

Revised:

Asrone bounced anxiously from one foot to the other as he waited at the edge of the road for Oren to get the door open. The moon shone brighter than he cared for, but nothing could be done about it without magical aid. Asrone looked along the road towards town silently begging for the thief to hurry. A shiver, not from the evening chill wracked his slight frame.
“We need to hurry, Oren. I can feel magic here and who knows when that old wizard will return,” Asrone said, stepping into the cramped dark cabin. Oren went to search the untidy table. Asrone rooted around the shelves, shifting crooked books only slightly, not wanting to leave any evidence of their presence.
“Just tell me if I’m about to stick my hand into anything that’ll burn it off.”

[This message has been edited by Denem (edited September 08, 2009).]

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
In the first paragraph there is no mention of a cabin, just a road. I thought we were just traveling along it. Then we are suddenly entering a common room, which for me is jarring. Perhaps mention that Asrone is peering out a window as he is worrying about the moonlight?
Not sure that you need all the description you are using - I suspect that's where your surplus words are coming from. 5or example, I don't know if therels any important reason to mention the unlit lamp on the table - that's 10 words right there.
Willing to make a cutting pass if you'd like.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Like NoTimetoThink, I’m unsure about the transition to the cabin to the road. The initial impression is that they’re outside. I presume they’re already inside the cabin, looking out the window. You might want to increase the tension by your opening dialogue as well…I’m not sure talking about “feeling the magic” is as strong a hook as Asrone saying something like “hurry up before he returns”, etc.

Looking at the 1st 13 purely from a word-cutting viewpoint, how about the following? Some of it might lose the flavor of what you’re trying to do, but it may be worth considering:

quote:

The moon (not actually a cut, but I assume the moon shines silver unless told otherwise) shone brighter than he cared for, but they could do nothing about it without magical aid. Asrone looked behind him along the road and adjusted the sleeves of his robe (how does this add to the story or reveal Asrone’s character?). A shiver, slight, but telling (apart from the repetition of “slight”, I think the shiver by itself gives the reader the necessary implication) wracked his slight frame. They should have been gone from here already. (This could perhaps be implied by the reader given the worry about the brightness of the moonlight, Asrone’s look down the road and his shiver; it’s clear that he’s worried.)
“I can feel magic here, Oren, but I don’t think I can sense the stronger wards,” Asrone said as he stepped into the cramped dark common area of the (not very specific…the subsequent description of the room should give us an idea of its function) cabin. Oren was already (necessary?) searching the unkempt (I’d associate “unkempt” with a garden, clothes or hair…how about ‘’untidy”?) table, trying not to knock over the unlit (we know the lamp is unlit by the fact the cabin is dark) lamp sitting there (we can assume it’s sitting there if it’s on the table). Asrone searchedthe shelves, shifting crooked books only slightly (I’d personally say something like …”he searched through the bookshelves, being careful to leave no trace of his presence” and cutting the following line. That mightn’t give the image that you want though). They were to leave no evidence that they had been there. Asrone cast a cursory (a glance is, by definition, cursory in this context) glance at the unwashed crockery on the countertop and dismissed it (You could possibly leave this out if your following description shows that he’s dismissed it as a hiding place…also consider whether it is important that we know about the unwashed crockery at all. Is it enough to say that the room is a mess and leave the rest up to the reader’s imagination?)

Cheers,

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited September 09, 2009).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denem
Member # 8434

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's amazing how obvious the issues are when someone points them out to you. I've posted a revised version above. What do you think?
Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Denem,

If I could spot everything obvious in my own writing, I definitely wouldn’t be here. I think it looks cleaner and tighter from my perspective. Below are my comments (all IMO of course and which may not be helpful), but I fear I’m getting into re-writing here, which isn’t my intention.

quote:
Asronefidgeted (does this capture the anxiety you’re trying to capture?) as Oren struggled with the door (one less word). The moon shone brighter than he cared for, but nothing could be done about it without magical aid. Asrone looked along the road towards town, silently begging for the thief to hurry. A shiver, not from the evening chill, wracked his slight frame (Do you need this? I think we’ve got Asrone’s tension from his edginess and his silent pleading for Oren to hurry)
“We need to hurry, Oren. I can feel magic here and who knows when that old wizard (Does Oren know who lives in the cabin? If so, wouldn’t Asrone refer to him by name?) will return,” Asrone said, stepping into the cramped dark cabin (might have to mention that Oren has succeeded in opening the door). Oren searched the untidy (perhaps “cluttered” might be the better word?) table. Asrone rooted around the shelves, shifting crooked books only slightly, not wanting to leave any evidence of their presence. (tighter, but it still seems unwieldy. I’m not sure of the remedy though. “Rooted around” implies a pretty vigorous action. How about “Asrone examined between each book on the shelf, moving them as little as possible”? It’s implied that he’s searching for something without making it obvious).
“Just tell me if I’m about to stick my hand into anything that’ll burn it off.”

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denem
Member # 8434

No worries, Nick.
I posted this knowing full well that there would be some significant rewriting to be done after fresh eyes looked at it.
Your suggestions are good ones and I have incorporated many of them. My main goal for the opening scene was to establish Asrone's nervous and unsure demeanor. From your feedback and that of NoTimeToThink I gather I'm almost there, but not quite.
Thanks again for your input.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest question is, and you may well answer this in the story, but do they really think they can go through a wizard's stuff and not have him know it? This is a good curiousity however as you have already drawn me into the story.

This is all regarding the revised intro.

Little things:

When you mention the moon shining too brightly I don't think it's obvious that it's because of the breaking and entering they're doing. Maybe 'brighter than he cared for on a mission like this', or something.

The part with the shiver could be smoother. Maybe just describe the shiver rather than telling us what it's not.

They step into the 'dark' cabin and start looking around but I think they need some source of light.

The last line is a great hook. Good set up on the characters. I want to know what's going to happen next. I'll be happy to read if you like.

[This message has been edited by genevive42 (edited September 09, 2009).]

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Asrone bounced anxiously from one foot to the other as he waited at the edge of the road for Oren to get the door open. What kind of vehicle is he next to (at the road’s edge)? The moon shone brighter than he cared for, but nothing could be done about it without magical aid. (why does he care about the moon?) Asrone looked along the road towards town, silently begging for the thief to hurry. (ah! A heist! Suggest swapping this sentence and the one before it.) A shiver, not from the evening chill, wracked his slight frame.
“We need to hurry, Oren. I can feel magic here,” said Asrone. “Who knows when that old wizard will return?” They stepped into the cramped dark cabin. Huh, cabin, not vehicle (long sentence) Oren went to search the untidy table. Asrone rooted around the shelves, shifting crooked books only slightly, not wanting to leave any evidence of their presence.
“Just tell me if I’m about to stick my hand into anything that’ll burn it off.” I assume this is Oren?

Nice job; very interesting opening. Good tension and setting. I suspect they are kids; I hope that suspicion will be confirmed soon with a general age range (I’m guessing 12-15). I also hope to get some hint of description of Oren soon.

It reads as if they are friends, but calling only Oren “the thief” makes me think maybe not? If they are not friends, please clarify or I’ll be surprised later.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.