Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Behind Locked Doors

Author Topic: Behind Locked Doors
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to resurrect an old story but I'm not sure where to go with it. It's about 2000 words and I would appreciate anyone who would be willing to read it. Comments on the first thirteen are fine too.

Elaine sat in her stiff school uniform and felt invisible, but then, wasn’t that the point of the uniform in the first place, to make sure no one stood out. Except it didn’t work; people still stood out, just not her.
Elaine had no friends, now. At her old school she’d had friends. Her mom had dropped her off at Agatha’s Boarding school for girls a month ago without any explanation. Elaine had gotten letters from her friends, but nothing from her mother. She slouched lower in her seat and quit taking notes. The teacher wouldn’t notice, no one noticed.
She reached in her pocket and brought out the key. It had been laying in the dirt outside. She wouldn’t have picked it up, except it wasn’t the typical found in the dirt type of

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Elaine sat in her stiff school uniform and felt invisible, but then, wasn’t that the point of the uniform in the first place, to make sure no one stood out. – Um, this is phrased as a question and should end with a question mark.

Actually, it’s a bit long and involved and probably would work much better if broken into two or even three sentences.

Something about your second sentence bothers me. Yes, I understand what you’re trying to say – could it be you should continue on with Elaine’s problem being ignored/getting noticed instead of other people’s standing out? Give a concrete example of how she isn't getting noticed rather than a vague generalization of how other people are standing out? And it would be nice if that concrete example segued into her old friends somehow.

Then start a new topic in a new second paragraph - her mom dropping her off here. I’d skip the letters from the friends. That’s too upbeat when she’s on a good depressing funk here. Go on with a bit more about how miserable this is, abandoned by mom. Then a sort of beat as she slouches. Another bit that is a concrete not a vague generalization…maybe just use that to bring out the key.

By the way – it had been laying WHAT in the dirt? Eggs? Lay, laying REQUIRES AN OBJECT!!!!

Oh, you must have meant it was LYING in the dirt. Didn’t you?

Fiddling with the key in the middle of a geometry lesson or a poetry reading and nobody notices might be a lot more visual and interesting.

...it wasn't the typical found in the dirt type of --- huh? Typical what found in the dirt type...you need to fix that. I assume you do not mean typical key found in this type of dirt -- do you? The typical what -- you really do need to say what.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 24, 2009).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I remember this one.
Send it to me, I'll read.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamatom
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for adamatom   Email adamatom         Edit/Delete Post 
Very effective. Don't change a word of it.

My initial reaction is that it reminds me of so many intros to stories I've seen in literature textbooks. And those stories are chosen for those textbooks for good reasons. Among other reasons, they have great intros.

I'd love to read the whole thing. I'm backlogged, but send it anyway. I'll eventually get caught up.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamatom
Member # 8840

I reread it and reread it again. Repeat, don't change one word. Rework the punctuation maybe, but don't change the wording.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamatom
Member # 8840

PUNCTUATION REWORK:

Elaine sat in her stiff school uniform and felt invisible. But then, wasn’t that the point of the uniform in the first place, to make sure no one stood out. Except it didn’t work. People still stood out, just not her.

Elaine had no friends now. At her old school, she’d had friends.

arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Still needs the question mark.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamatom
Member # 8840

It's not a question. It's a rhetorical question. A question solicites an answer. A rhetorical questions asks and answers the same question. A rhetorical question is a statement phrased as a question. The purpose of punctuation is to make the story clearer, not to comply the story with alleged punctuation rules. If anything, a question mark in this case would interrupt the flow of the story.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Arriki is right.

Send it my way, please.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Adamatom, your e-mail is not listed in your profile so I'm not sure where to send it. Thanks for offering to read.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamatom
Member # 8840

moreheadalumni @ yahoo.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.