Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Seventy-Three Percent Dead

Author Topic: Seventy-Three Percent Dead
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I did something similar--but wasn't really happy with it, so I tried again.

Fried noodles with hot chilli. Some bite--that's what he needed. Jimmy clenched and unclenched his jaw as he watched the market vendor flip the noodles and stir-fry slivers of pork.
Eating noodles at dawn in the night market was special. Because you like the violet light and the chill in the air; the crash and chatter of the market, and the promise dawn always brings with it—even though it's just a lie. Jimmy scowled to himself; it was because he liked the...lie, he decided.
The vendor served the food in a chipped china bowl and, in a move worthy of kung-fu master, flicked a pair of chopsticks into the steaming noodles.
“Fourteen sys-dollars, Sah-Si.” The vendor grinned, wrinkling up his ancient face. He nodded towards the flashing swiper-tech embedded in the counter's surface.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 25, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a slow burn start for sure, but well crafted and interesting enough for me to read on.

A couple things bothered me:

"Jimmy clenched and unclenched his jaw" - This feels like filler. Is this a reaction to being hungry?

"Jimmy scowled to himself" - This is one of those weird POV things where the POV character knows hes making a face because he can feel it (not see it), but the scowl is most certainly a visual thing, usually described by an observer.

I think you could cut both these lines. For me they don't add anything and the "to himself" stuff is a pet peeve of mine.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this bad habit lately of thinking of movies whenever I read a first 13. I thought of the vendor in Fifth Dimension here. lol

Back to the story:
-I liked it, definately laid the scene out well.

-Isn't it Chili? With one L?

quote:
Some bite--that's what he needed.
Some bite? Wasnt sure if you were saying he needed some food with a 'kick' as in spicy...or if bite was the POV description of food overall 'some food-that's what he needed.' Simply because bite, made me think of actually chewing.

quote:
as he watched the market vendor flip the noodles and stir-fry slivers of pork.
Eating noodles at dawn in the night market was special.

Can you just call him 'vendor'. It still effectively describes him and you mention 'market' as the overall scene in next sentence. Or calling him 'something' vendor can give reader a deeper description of him while still using 'market' in next sentence.

- Hook wise, I am interesting in the 'Lie' of dawn.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Not hunger--internal tension.

It take your point regarding the scowl and 'to himself'. I use 'Jimmy frowned...' a fair bit and people almost never comment on a frown or a smile being a step outside POV. Perhaps I should simply drop the 'to himself'.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Jimmy clenched and unclenched his jaw" - This feels like filler. Is this a reaction to being hungry?

Not sure if thats what he meant, but that is exactly what I thought. Like salivating in anticipation, as he smelled the foods. Because I thought that I liked the description. Of course if he was going for something else then I am way off base.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
Not hunger--internal tension.

Then see my above comment. Maybe show internal tension another way, since the food and eating established in the 13 immediately made me think his jaw movement was related to that.

alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, the jaw thing in close proximity to the food talk makes them seem related. Maybe make it an eye twitch or a fist clench or something instead.

Is this finished? I'll read if so.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Fifth Dimension of Fifth Element? There's a chinese vendor in the Fifth Element.

It may be chili with a single L somewhere, but I have word set to UK English and it likes two Ls. In fact as type this on my mac it has underlines the above word 'chili' as a spelling error. I just do what the computer tells me to!

The '...some bite' sentence could be misinterpreted, I guess--now you mention. To be honest I shortened the sentence to get an extra line in the 13 lines. it originally read:

Something with some bite--that's what he needed.\

Thanks for reading and commenting.

skadder
Member # 6757

No, I'm only about 1500 words into it. I reckon it could be 6-8k long.
skadder
Member # 6757

I suppose the food and tension are related--we don't usually clench and unclench our jaws, unless we are tense. The fact he will soon eat gives him a sense that the food may relieve the tension he is feeling.

I am loathe to change that--and I do get you point--but I don't necessarily want to be obvious about his tension. The jaw clenching and unclenching and the jadedness of the 'dawn lie' are meant to be hints regarding his state of mind.

Perhaps it doesn't work as I intended. See if any others have a view on it.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Fifth Element, lol...sorry. And the title made me smile thinking of The Princess Bride
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd keep reading. I'm getting a vaguely Blade-Runner-esque feeling from this, though less bleak in terms of character personality. It even has an Asian food vendor.

Points to ponder...

1. Separating the nervous behavior from the anticipation of food will make both clearer, or at least will clarify the nervous behavior. I use jaw clenching too, though, as a nervous behavior so I didn't immediately think it was related to the food, but the proximity to the food-related stuff made me pause.

2. I'm not a fan of artificial currency names. It's not One British Pound twenty pence, it's one pound twenty (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I was in London). Same in Canada, it's a dollar twenty, or a buck twenty, or just one twenty. Maybe he pays Five Sys-D's? I dunno.

3. I feel like I'm missing some of the visual impact of the market, and I'm mentally substituting in the Blade Runner street restaurant which (while it might be similar) isn't terrific for someone who has never seen Blade Runner. You spend a lot of words on food, when (I'm guessing) the vendor & food will disappear forever on page 2. Is it worth all those words?

Whoops... forgot to add, I'd keep reading. The prose is solid and the images my mind is generating generally pleasing to a PKD fan like myself.

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited November 25, 2009).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Blade-Runner-esque? i suppose it does. I hadn't considered that. Although Blade-runner doesn't start with that scene...

My story is very different...its about a group of androids--called replicants--who have returned to earth...oh wait--it is the same.

Nope, but it is a detective story and Jimmy is the detective.

I guess I'll need to consider if the similarity helps or hinders.

1. Enough people have mentioned this now--it needs to change.
2. In the UK we say, "One fine British pound with the Queen on, and a sparkling twenty pence piece with an even younger Queen on, please." Good point, but it was part of a network of clue that this wasn't Earth/present day.
3. The previous version had more market in it--but I wanted to get in his head a little more. Too much on the food? Will think about that.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-Isn't it Chili? With one L?

Depending on what you are referring to and where you are, it can be chile, chili, or chilli. At the very least.

I'm sligtly irked by the talk of a "Blade Runner" feel just because it's written in English yet features noodles. It could be set, for all I know, in Los Angeles; in Vancouver; in London; in Bangkok; in Chengdu; in Yokohama... please, people, open your cultural eyes.

I didn't like the use of a semi-colon and then an ellipsis in the same sentence; I think the semicolon should be a period, and the ellipsis arguably should be before "the" rather than after it, though I can see what you are trying to get at (i.e., he wants to tell himself it's something else he likes, but you don't need the definite article attached to his failed hope; read it aloud with a pause for the ellipsis and I think you'll see what I mean.)

I'd read on but would hope for something further very soon - more about who the MC is, or why he is there, because at the moment there is no clue as to either what the story is about or why this is the start of it. Luckily you have a good hooky title and deft enough prose to keep me going for now.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Hmmm... if memory serves, Blade Runner actually did take place in Los Angeles, though Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is set in San Francisco. Culturally I'm reasonably diverse, at least gastronomically; on Monday I ate butter chicken for lunch, Bún Bò Huế for dinner, and wrapped up the night with a hot dog & beer at the hockey game I was attending. Actually I don't know if that makes me culturally sensitive or just a bit of a glutton. Edmonton is actually a pretty culturally diverse city, for all it's rural tendencies.

I picked up the Blade Runner feel from the hints of setting - night market & Asian food vendor, the lie of dawn intimating some form of dystopia, the chipped china bowl juxtaposing with the high technology of the card reader. Subtle hints, to be sure, but it's what caught my imagination lacking some more visible setting description.

As I appear to be the only person who made this connection, maybe I should stop watching Blade Runner reruns as often as I do. It's coloring my perception. Stupid AMC.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies if I came over harshly, it's just one of those things I see around alot and that tends to push my buttons.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

No problemo.
skadder
Member # 6757

I wouldn't worry too much about. I think if someone had a visual from BR it wouldn't harm the unfolding scene...the story is different.

This is set on another planet in a more distant future--it's just that economics and distance have meant that this planet is playing catch up.

"Begin again on a new world..."

adamatom
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for adamatom   Email adamatom         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd skip the food thing and get back to the loud squeal behind him, the thugs, and the victim vendor. Though I am a bit intrigued by the promise of the dawn.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I agree that just on a 13 lines basis that that intro was probably better, but in terms of the scene unfolding and establishing the seeds of character is it was flawed.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 26, 2009).]

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Hang on - you're unhappy with this? Starting again? All our hard work gone for naught?
skadder
Member # 6757

No--I had a previous thread with a different version--a month or so ago.

Here: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum11/HTML/003792.html

Adamatom was commenting on that he preferred that one. I was just saying while that may have worked purely on a 13 line basis, it didn't work so well with the actual story.

The current one works better. IMO.

Architectus
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Architectus   Email Architectus         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are my thoughts. Although it is a slow opening, I believe it works. It peeks my curiosity enough to keep me reading.

quote:
Because you like the violet light and the chill in the air; the crash and chatter of the market, and the promise dawn always brings with it—even though it's just a lie

This line pulled me out of the story because of the word "you." Is this a quote? Did someone else say this to him in the past? If so I would make that clear before the quote. Or change "you like" to "he liked."

Perhaps to show his tension you can write something like. He flexed his jaw and fists then relaxed.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

It's funny...your the first one to spot that line.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
This paragraph really bugged me...

quote:
Eating noodles at dawn in the night market was special. Because you like the violet light and the chill in the air; the crash and chatter of the market, and the promise dawn always brings with it—even though it's just a lie. Jimmy scowled to himself; it was because he liked the...lie, he decided.

Switching to italicise comes in the middle of a clause. It may have worked if this was 3rd person but not as a 3rd person. Makes the MC look as if he is narratating to the reader, I'm pretty sure that was not what you were after.
A line like this would work better if he was saying to someone else, IMO.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.