Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Not sure about this one...

Author Topic: Not sure about this one...
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
His name was Death.
He came with the bite of an autumn wind pushing the leaves along the ground, when orange pumpkins dazzled brilliantly in Farmer Horace’s field and everyone was preparing their stores for the coming winter. Me and Sup saw him come riding amongst the rows of corn and Sup looked at me and said, “Look there, Tobe! There’s a scarecrow come to life, like in Weaver’s story!” Sup was smiling when he said it, but I recall he had some fear in his eyes. I looked up from my work and saw where he was pointing. The scarecrow appeared briefly between the rows, a thin black shape riding a bony nag grey as frost. He was wearing a wide-brimmed hat that hid his face, and though his head didn’t turn I had the strange impression he was

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 08, 2009).]

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. The prose pulled me along and while it is heavy on description it didn't distract me from the story. I thought it flowed nicely. I would read on.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like it. The only thing that threw me off was Sup's dialogue sounds pretty cheery when he sees the scarecrow come to life (death), and the rest of the description makes it sound like a scary creepy thing to be seeing. Unless there's a reason for him to be cheery in the coming paragraphs, I would suggest changing that.
Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it too!

The setting is giving me a real "To Kill a Mockingbird" vibe, the america south in the 30's. Is that what you were going for?

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLH
Member # 8897

- posted      Profile for TLH   Email TLH         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it to me! I wanna read.

Regards,

Tony.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all! Working on it. As far as the style of it, I was going for that classic tale feel. Rustic setting, reminiscent of the American south, but not quite. When I've finished this draft I'll send it out. Thanks again!
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. No real nits. I'd keep reading long enough to feel who this death fellow is. It seems to me like the pumpkin farmer is going to get a visit...
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Nearly done with the first draft, but I've hit a snag on which direction I should take this. Would anyone like to read what I have so far? I'd like to know what you think.
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Oh yeah, Teraen. The pumpkin farmer WASN"T going to get a visit, but you got me thinking. So what did I end up doing?
The pumpkin farmer has a visitor, thanks to you.

D2
Member # 8930

- posted      Profile for D2   Email D2         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it.

Only real nitpick I have is that "Me and Sup" should be "Sup and I," but grammar is sometimes a victim of the character's voice, so, your call

Posts: 40 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Yep, I'm afraid you're gonna find lots of intentionally bad grammar in this one!
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

- posted      Profile for TaoArtGuy   Email TaoArtGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm digging this. Nice layering of descriptions to build atmosphere.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cutter McKay
Member # 8962

- posted      Profile for Cutter McKay   Email Cutter McKay         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued, send me what you've got, I'll see if I can help.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

It's on its way, Cutter.

Thanks for the kind words everybody

skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this...needs a tweak or two, but it has a nice feel.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Thanks skadder! Yes it does, probably many tweaks. Actually, the beginning has changed slightly from the one posted. I'm just trying to get this thing finished, then I'll set to work polishing it up. Some of it I like, other parts I'm not completely satisfied with. Hopefully I can make it into something other people will actually want to read.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.