Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Interview--sf

Author Topic: The Interview--sf
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

- posted      Profile for Ben Trovato   Email Ben Trovato         Edit/Delete Post 
A palm-sized glowglobe squatted in the middle of the table. The room's only illumination, its position and perspective somehow turned perfectly ordinary objects into half-real grotesques; the hastily placed wires trailing up the walls morphing into creeping multicolor fangworms, complete with subliminal moist slithers. The huge-shouldered ursinoid did not seem to be disconcerted. I was.
"So, Mr.—it is Mister, isn't it?" A muscle was jumping below my right eye. Let the eggheads babble of Racial Prejudice, I was not nervous because the creature at the other end of the conference table was seven foot tall and looked like a starved Kodiak.

...so, any takers?

Edited to remove the "shadow discrepancy" (sounds like a bad thriller title, doesn't it?)

[This message has been edited by Ben Trovato (edited December 31, 2009).]

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveBowen
Member # 8786

- posted      Profile for DaveBowen   Email DaveBowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mood, tension, dramatic lighting, big bear...good start.

One question:

quote:
The elongated shadow of a huge-shouldered ursinoid did not seem to be disconcerted.

Would the shadow of ursinoid be disconcerted, or would the ursinoid himself?

Thanks,
Dave Bowen

Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

- posted      Profile for TaoArtGuy   Email TaoArtGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
You've piqued my curiosity so far and I'd read on.

I get the sense the light is flickering or at least not constant since it is creating the illusion of movement for the wires on the wall (i.e. creeping and slither) but the light isn't described that way.

The last sentence seems to be contradicting everything before it. The character is nervous despite stating that he isn't. Is there another sentence following this that got clipped by the 13 line count?

I'd have to second the previous comment that it reads like the shadow is not disconcerted when it should be the ursinoid who acts that way.

I'll read the whole thing if you'd like.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

- posted      Profile for Ben Trovato   Email Ben Trovato         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies.

The last sentence is contradictory because the next sentence is chopped off.

(I'm still not sure how to count if there are 13 lines or not).

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
A simple method for validating for thirteen lines;

Set up a word processor format in Standard Manuscript format. One-inch margins all around. Set typeface font to a monospaced 12 point type, ie., Courier New. Copy and paste from a story's first thirteen counted lines into the post new topic text box.

Set up in SMF, a line of 12 point monospaced type occupies 65 columns of a matrix, including glyphs and word spaces. Thirteen rows equals thirteen lines. In a propotional typeface, like Times New Roman, the number of columns varies widely.

I keep my wordprocessor set to SMF because it's also mostly in Standard Transcript Format, which is for the bread-and-butter editing work I do. The only change I make regulary is to legal size paper for transcripts, and letter size paper for manuscripts.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can go read this topic, which is about how to tell what 13 lines are here on the Hatrack River Writers Workshop forum.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

Er. Yep. Gotcha.

Thanks.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice imagery, and yes, I assume the next sentence was gong to explin why the MC/narrator WAS nervous.

The shadow/ursinoid/disconcerted thing has been mentioned above and I echo that. But otherwise; nice opening, and enough setting hooks not to make me worry about th elack of a plot hook as yet.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
If you need another reader, I'm game.

Something is bothering me about "A palm-sized glowglobe squatted..." - I associate squatting with living, or sometimes animate things. Is the glowglobe mobile? Is it alive? Hey, it's speculative; it could happen!

I would like the ursine creature's name to actually make it into the "So, Mr." line. I believe the MC knows the name.

Aside from that, I like the setting and the start-up.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D2
Member # 8930

- posted      Profile for D2   Email D2         Edit/Delete Post 
I love half-real grotesques.

I'll second that squatted seems like the wrong word there -- I get the imagery, but it definitely made me do a mental double-take, and for the fourth word in the story, that's a little uncomfortable.

There are a few little nitpicky things I'd mention -- the comma after Prejudice should be a semicolon, I think, for example (unless you added but after the comma). As far as the writing goes, though, I love how you set this up. The way you build the room around the glowglobe is brilliant. I'm hooked.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give a read if you like.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

Thanks, folks. E-mails sent.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.