Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Time Out

Author Topic: Time Out
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a new idea. Still hashing out the details. What do you think?

Since this is an idea, maybe it's best to keep it in my head...

for now...

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited July 11, 2010).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was a suspension from school. After a second, though, I figured it was something more unusual. I was totally hooked. And when I finally got to the part where it turned out the "suspension" is some kind of cryogenic freezing, I was ready to read more.

The only issue I have is this: at first, because I was thinking school suspension, I figured Molly was a high school student that got in trouble. Even though I quickly realized it wasn't school related, my initial thought that Molly was in high school didn't change. So it was strange when she called her mom "Mommy". It took me a second to understand that she was a little younger than I initially imagined. I don't even know if it's worth changing. It was only a moment of confusion and then it was gone.

Great job and good luck!

Trisha

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sixbells
Member # 8610

- posted      Profile for Sixbells   Email Sixbells         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:

It was a lie. Plenty of Molly’s friends didn’t get suspended and nothing bad happened to them. Cindy never did and no bad people ever harmed her. Molly wanted to be out like her. Not locked in a time freezer until her parents could find time for her.

The simple past tense in the next line seems flat and over emphasised, you give two examples, first her friends and then Molly. It doesn't feel tight enough.

quote:

“But I just got out, Mommy. It’s only been two days. I didn’t get to see Cindy, or Nana, or Papa. You promised last time that I would get to see them.”
Her mother stroked her hair and smiled. “We will next time, sugar. Nana and Papa live a long way away. The weekend is only

I didn't understand you were talking about Freezing, it gives the text a whole new dimension. I thought the suspension was school, so didn't realy rate this as a good 13 lines. Now I know what it's about I think it's a great idea, but the first lines threw me off.

[This message has been edited by Sixbells (edited June 06, 2010).]

Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I twigged to the trick the moment the "chamber" was referenced.

I think the protag's name may need to change (Molly and Mommy is not a good combination to be tossing around in the same sentence).

There seems to be some confusion about the motivation here - first Molly seems to be taking her mother's motives at face value (talking about protection but how other kids don't seem to need it) but then she abruptly switches to the "find time" concept (which feels like the real reason, given the characterisation we have of the mother so far).

There are fascinating ideas that might be explored here - the idea of children, in effect, ageing at different rates dependin on how much "suspension" they get - so I would read on.

Just my opinion. Feel free to reject it.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooked.
I agree that there is a tiny bit of age confusion in the start. Perhaps the opening line should be:
"Mommy, I don't want to be suspended."

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool idea. We always think of suspended animation as a long-term process, like deep space travel or waiting for medical science to catch up with our maladies...not like turning on the TV.

I think it's fine for there to be confusion for a while about what 'suspension' refers to. SF readers are used to that.

I suspect your opening will change after you've gotten into the story. This opening is good, but it's designed to give a lot of info (imho). It may be more immediate to start the story sometime else, for example, like when the parental units are debating whether to awaken the brat now or after a cocktail party...that'll save them a babysitting fee.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing your story in print.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice little mind twist to get the interest juices flowing. I would read on.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Thanks everyone. I hate what I wrote but am very glad you all like the premise. This needs tweeking.

Thanks loads!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. The twist is nice and the hook is good. I would make the fact that it's a suspended animation chamber stand out a little more, I read right over that the first time. Maybe have Molly complain more about effects or something.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geronl
Member # 9156

- posted      Profile for geronl   Email geronl         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same thoughts as some of the other responders but I also think this is a very interesting idea. I think it will easily get copied by others for their own stories.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
I think it will easily get copied by others for their own stories.

What?!?

Don't make me erase my 13. I'll be very upset if I see this get stolen.

geronl
Member # 9156

I'm not going to steal it. I meant the idea of short term cryogenics instead of just on long space voyages might get used. Do we keep the military frozen until we need them too? That would seem to save a lot of money wouldn't it?
Instead of feeding the poor we freeze them.

You can see where that could go.

I think its a great idea and you should keep working on it. It's original enough to get attention I think should you submit it to one of the sci-fi magazines.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geronl
Member # 9156

and NOW I notice you want to keep it in your head.

Sorry.

Feel free to edit my last post.

snapper
Member # 7299

I'm not implying you would steal it but you did make me paranoid.

That idea is on a shelf at the moment but I do plan on getting back to it, eventually.

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not nice to tease
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't make him paranoid--you wouldn't like him when he is paranoid.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.