Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Hollow Mind

Author Topic: A Hollow Mind
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I sat on the wet park bench. Leaves tumbled past, caught in the wind's petty gusts; the tail-end of the rain shower licked against the hood of my coat and dripped down my face.
A well-dressed woman leaned into her umbrella as she walked towards me, her hair swirling, her destination unknown.
Yet her mind whispered to me, it's sanctity pierced by mine.
I let my thoughts drift, seeking the silence of my synasthesia. Her mind-chatter faded and when I looked at her again a ribbon of words unfurled upon an invisible banner behind her: Times New Roman font in a deep red that contrasted clearly against the bare trees and shrubs she passed. As I read her secrets, the letters curled and turned to smoke. The ticker-tape of her mind revealed her fear: would her husband notice the marks her lover had made?

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 06, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done, very flowy. Like the synasthesia a lot also. You've been hanging out with Brant haven't you?

I have no meaningful criticisms. I'm a little surprised to see you doing the struggling telepath thing, but, while its not super interesting to me personally I see nothing wrong with it. I like the descriptions and the flow of the writing a lot.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A well-dressed woman leaned into her umbrella as she walked towards me, her hair swirling, her destination unknown.
Yet her mind whispered to me, it's sanctity pierced by mine.

I suggest you change towards me to 'my way'.

This is a reworking of an old ideas of yours, isn't it?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krista
Member # 7738

- posted      Profile for Krista   Email Krista         Edit/Delete Post 
"Yet her mind whispered to me, it's sanctity pierced by mine."

I find this sentence rather confusing. I understand what it's trying to get across, and I like the impression it gives that he's knowing her private thoughts, but to me, it reads as if her mind's sanctity is being pierced by the narrator's sanctity, rather than the narrator's mind. Maybe there's a better way to phrase this?

I really like the final paragraph. Interesting concept, and surprising imagery with her thoughts appearing as scarlet words.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

@Merlion,

Hanging out with Brant? Are you saying our writing is similar or the content is similar? I chat with him on Facebook and I know he has published a novel...

In this story the guy is a more than a struggling telepath...although the telepath bit is meant to provide a hook sufficient to take you to his real conflict.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

@snapper,

'My way'is better--you're right. It's not so much a re-working of an old idea as a merging of two old ideas.

Thanks.

@Krista,

Yeah, I spotted that, but left it as I felt it wasn't that confusing and I had no slicker solution.

Thanks for reading.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
The style is interesting and the voice strong. The hook doesn't really do much for me, though - it's not as if we haven't had self-tortured telepath stories before. I note you later state that this is an introduction to the character and not the "real" conflict and I'm nto surprised to hear you say that, but it does make me question whether you are starting the story in the right place.

A couple of nits: "its sanctity" not "it's sanctity" and "synesthesia" (or in the UK "synaesthesia") not "synasthesia".

Just my opinion. Feel free to reject it.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I don't reject it.

I take your point about whether I have started in the right place (and would normally agree)...I can only say that I think I have.

Thanks for the spelling headsup. I wrote it on Google Docs but usually write in MSWord which underlines mistakes.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
The word synesthesia always makes me think of Brant.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a nit but it really bugs me. It's is short for it is. It's is not a possessive form.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

It's a mistake I commonly make. I do understand the difference, but if I don't pay attention it pops out.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 08, 2010).]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done. Your beautiful use of words is what draws me in more than the subject matter. I love the imagry of the words in Times Roman curling out like a ribbon and turning to smoke.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.