Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Noir

Author Topic: Noir
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

- posted      Profile for bandgeek9723   Email bandgeek9723         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my short story "Noir." General Fiction with a Film Noir bent (thus the name)
About 1400 words

--

I could see in her eyes that I was in trouble. I don’t know what I had done, but I knew that before the night was over I’d be sorry.
Before I could even take off my rain soaked hat she was yelling at me, “You bastard!”
“What?” I asked, a dumb look plastered on my face. I’d like you to think that I was just playing dumb, but to be frank, more often than not, that same look could be seen across my ugly mug.
“Who was she?”
“Who?” oh ****. I took off my hat and hung it on the peg beside the door, trying to act as though nothing was wrong.
“That cheap floozy I caught you with at the Diner last night.”

[This message has been edited by bandgeek9723 (edited October 18, 2010).]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. It might help if you said who "she" is from the very beginning. As it is, how do we know where this is taking place?

This guy could be coming in to work, and "she" is his receptionist, or he could be coming home, and "she" is his wife (or significant other or housekeeper or babysitter or cook or whatever).

You have room for a little more information, because this is less than 13 lines.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

- posted      Profile for bandgeek9723   Email bandgeek9723         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, fixed it. Now it's the first 13.
Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KMMeyer
Member # 9278

- posted      Profile for KMMeyer   Email KMMeyer         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the MC just saying "what" with a confused expression on his face was a rather casual reaction. It is a natural for people to become very defensive instantly when being attacked like that. The reaction here isn't quite believable.

Of course, this type of reaction could be very characteristic of your MC. It's hard to be able to tell without reading the entire piece; however, if this isn't typical of his personality you may need to do some tweaking there.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twiggy
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Twiggy   Email Twiggy         Edit/Delete Post 
If the MC was caught with a floozy the night before, he wouldn't have to wonder why he was in trouble. Maybe you should say the woman had seen him.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.