Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Doll Eyes (Fantasy, Working title)

Author Topic: Doll Eyes (Fantasy, Working title)
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
EDITED TO ADD:

All right, I am looking for readers now and I won't shy away from trading stories!

(Kathleen, could you maybe edit the title of thread and add "looking for readers"? Thanks!)

Here's the first 13:

“How quaint. Afraid of a city that lies in ruins.” There was but the hint of mockery in Valyn’s voice.
“I am just saying that I find the silence... Unsettling.” Parn replied as he steered his garron through the meandering streets of Rowano. Even the horse was reluctant to move through this accursed city, negotiating its way through the scattering of swords that stood rammed in the ground, each blade a gravestone.
“Compared to your yammering, I, for my part, find the silence welcoming. And if anything nasty crosses our paths, well, there’s a remedy for that.” Valyn said, tapping the pommel of his Godslayer.” Parn thought of reminding his comrade that the last envoy did not return from Rowano, but thought better of it.

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited March 18, 2011).]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Good start. Strong characterization: Valyn, the macho overconfident warrior and Parn, a more sensible companion whose viewpoint we see through. The last line really flushes him out showing us that he contemplates his thoughts before speaking or acting on them.

In the first line you tell us there is a hint of mockery in his voice. This is unneccesary; you're dialog is strong enough to make this clear. A simple dialog tag will suffice.

In the last line of dialog it says, "for my part." Do you mean "for the most part"?

Also a nit: there's a misplaced quote after "Godslayer."

Good luck with this one!

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
Good start. I agree on the "hint of mockery"

I think we see here a lot about the two characters and how the interactions between them would be interesting to this reader. It is a good hook, I like it.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the majority of it. Nits:
1. I agree with Wordcaster about the mockery.
2. Not sure Unsettling should be capitalized.
3. What is a garron? You then say it's a horse - is garron it's name (capitalize then), a real horse species (my ignorance may be shared by others), or a fantasy/alien creature which you then mistakenly refer to as a horse?
4. You use "thought" twice in the last sentence - consider using "consider" first
Otherwise good characterization, setting, and intro.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Thanks, guys.

By the way, a garron is a breed of Highland pony.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it.

1) I concur on the “but the hint of mockery”
2) Ditto on the “unsettling”
3) Garron is going to need explaining in the text, not necessarily in the 13, but likely wherever it is first used. Trading “horse” for “rugged mountain pony” in the next sentence could help, but… wordy. Why does it matter if the horse is a Garron? Whatever that reason is, maybe where that comes into play is the right place to explain.
4) I like “for my part”
5) Ditto on the misplaced quote after "Godslayer."
6) I like replacing the first “thought” with “considered” in the last sentence

Nits aside, seriously, I like it. Willing to crit if you like.

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Like it. Alot. I'll read if you aren't in a hurry.
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Thank you Josephine and andersonmcdonald!

I'll get back to you as soon as I finish this draft.

Foste
Member # 8892

Bump.
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. Though I think garron deserves a little clarification.

I'll take a look, depending on length.

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

It's 4300w.

Hope it's not too long .

redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like, I can read it as well and give you feedback.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Thank you redux! It's on its way!
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
4300 is fine. I'm a bit busy this morning, but I'll take a look tonight.

ETA: Running a bit late on this. Had to take my daughter to hospital today. Nothing serious but everything else got put on hold for a while. I'll try to get to it over the weekend sometime.

[This message has been edited by pdblake (edited March 19, 2011).]

OK, I've had a look and sent you back my thoughts.

[This message has been edited by pdblake (edited March 20, 2011).]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. Cuts right to the chase.

You will, of course, have to explain at some point in the near future just why this place is so cursed that somebody didn't take those swords for themselves. that, and I don't get the connection to the title 'Doll Eyes' yet.

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.