Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » This One's Untitled

Author Topic: This One's Untitled
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Finishing up several projects, but just had to put this one up. A short, incomplete. Would you read on?

I was in a hurry the morning my bicycle chain broke. One long hill, smooth sailing to Byzantium, and by God I was going to make it to Betty Pilager’s house before she slipped away forever. I wanted a goodbye kiss. Instead, I got a bruised crotch and what was darn close to if not an actual concussion.
Betty Pilager slipped away forever.
“Mike?” a voice hovered somewhere.
I opened my eyes and saw two directions at once. Somewhere in the middle was my best friend, Norman Atwater.
“Hmm…” I said, dreamily. I don’t recall what I was thinking about at the time but it sure wasn’t Norman Atwater.
“Hey Mike! You okay?”
“Uh-uh.”

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

- posted      Profile for starsin   Email starsin         Edit/Delete Post 
To be blunt...probably not. There isn't much going on...why does he want the good-bye kiss? Who is Betty Pilager and what is she to the Main Character? Why is he in a hurry? Where is she going and why is it that by going there she has "slipped away forever"? There's a lot of...I don't know...emptiness(?) here. Stuff is going on and happening, but without knowing these things...mainly the "Why", I personally feel little to no desire to continue on. The only real reason I'd continue is to find this out.... Perhaps this information will be conveyed to me by the end of the first page, but from the first several lines...not really.

Sorry if I came off as rude btw...

[This message has been edited by starsin (edited March 11, 2011).]

Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Your voice is great. It's easy to read, and personable. I would read on for the very reasons the previous poster would not. I'd like to find out all the 'why's' and the writing seems competent enough to provide a good story with good answers. I guess that's what personal preference is all about, eh?
Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I might read on. I think if you answer all the "why" up front, then I wouldn't want to read on because there would be no reason to continue.

After all this is only the first 13 lines.

Here are my suggestions:

The first lines are awkward. I would start with "I wanted a goodbye kiss. Instead, I got a bruised..." Then go on to say I would have made it if my bike chain ect....

"I don't recall what I was thinking about at the time but ti sure wasn't Norman Atwater."

My thing is you just recalled to us what you were thinking about: Betty and her kiss.

I agree with RoxyL your voice is great. I would read on to answer the whys mentioned by starsin, but make very sure you answer all those before the story is over.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tryndakai
Member # 9427

- posted      Profile for Tryndakai   Email Tryndakai         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. Again, for reasons of your voice. You've got a bit of a whiplash humor going on here, quick and precise and occasionally abrupt.

I really like these lines:

quote:
One long hill, smooth sailing to Byzantium, and by God I was going to make it to Betty Pilager’s house before she slipped away forever. I wanted a goodbye kiss. Instead, I got a bruised crotch and what was darn close to if not an actual concussion.
Betty Pilager slipped away forever.

*except* for the "what was darn close to if not an actual . . ." that slows the snappiness *way* down. And especially since you have him seeing two directions in the next couple lines, I'd just ditch the hedging and say "I got a bruised crotch and a concussion."

My other nit is that, in jumping from "the morning my bicycle chain broke" immediately to him riding said bike, and then the results of the chain breaking . . . it jumps back and forth too quickly over too short a time period to really be useful in the "this is what happened. Now let me tell you about it . . ." sort of way. I'd ditch the "flashback" and just tell it chronologically. Just start at "One long hill . . ." and go from there.

Also, I'm left rather curious about "Byzantium" . . . is that some kind of allusion to his dream girl's kiss? I'm assuming he's not *actually* biking down to the ancient Greek city . . . I'd have to look it up to see if I'm missing something.

[This message has been edited by Tryndakai (edited March 12, 2011).]

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all!

EVOC - "My thing is you just recalled to us what you were thinking about: Betty and her kiss."

Well, technically, he was thinking about that before the wreck, not afterwards. Maybe I should make that clearer.

Tryndakai - "Sailing To Byzantium" is used very loosely here, but if you google it you'll get the gist. I stole it from a Yeats poem, but so have a lot of other people.

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.