Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sliver of Life

Author Topic: Sliver of Life
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Lima lay on the back of the gently shifting jellyfish as it drifted with the tide across the Capulin Straits and watched the constellations twinkling above. The edge of jellyfish slid below the surface for a moment and water lapped at her clothes.
Lima flopped her head to one side and tapped her temple. Don't sink, my friend--let's drift on the surface a while longer.
The tiny green light on the spike she'd driven deep into the jellyfish flickered as it relayed the command to the primitive nervous system of the alien creature. It bobbed up again.
Lima reached into her pouch and pulled out ten small black spheres. She cast them into the night sky and they disappeared with barely a hum.
Two miles to the target. She pulled out her knife and checked its nanoics.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 30, 2011).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
My concern is rather minor. I do not know who is the alien.

The term 'jellyfish' is what is throwing me off. It is unique to Earth (well you can say all life is unique to Earth). So this is making me believe Lima is the alien, on Earth, and that she must be small to be riding a jellyfish. But it could be she is the human and the jellyfish is a native lifeform on another planet.

This is so silly because trying to figure this out is keeping me from falling into this. You could distinquish (if they are on an alien planet) that the jellyfish is not an earth jellyfish.

Or you could just ignore me

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I do get your point. I figured it was like a jellyfish, so I should call it a jellyfish. Perhaps I should call it something else--a drifter-gel or something.

But as to your point, the woman is human-sized and the jellyfish is huge/alien, as is the world they are on...

[

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 30, 2011).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JHam
Member # 9518

- posted      Profile for JHam           Edit/Delete Post 
I may be weird but I didn't get that. I pictured a giant jelly fish with a woman lying on top of it as it drifted along. I thought it really drew your attention and was a good hook.

Where was she that had such large jelly fish?

What was the thing she had stuck in the creatures head, did it control it or was it just a means of communication?

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I went with a small pixie type woman on a jellyfish. And yes it did give me concern. Strange how that can happen.

Other than that, skadder I can't find much to pick at, very solid.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this and see very little wrong with it.

I had no problem picturing a giant jelly with an Earth-type human riding on it. The beginning raises lots of questions that I would look forward to having answered as the story progresses. The main one that comes to mind would be is this a future Earth or some other planet? I would expect an ansswer to this fairly quickly on the next page or two. And if the woman is human or something else.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
I also wondered if the alien was a)the woman b)the Jellyfish or c) a living liason that allowed the woman to control the Jellyfish.

I think the term Jellyfish gives a much better and more immediate picture than an invented name like gel-drifter. Perhaps you could still use Jellyfish, but indicate in a different way that it's not an earth life form. Like "(planet name)-ian" Jellyfish or say that it was immense like everything else on this planet etc etc. (just random examples)

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks!
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I would keep jelly fish. I got the image of a small pixie. I think there is no reason to change it because I am sure things clear up quickly.

I think the mental image the reader has of the MC and the jelly fish is a little irrelevant this early on.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
I dig it although I felt like I ran out of mental breath reading the opening sentence. I usually like a short one to start, so I can get my bearings.

Also, there was some confusion about who was watching the constellations. Lima or the Jellyfish?

Seems like you could just say "giant jellyfish" in the opening and just "jellyfish" later on.

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited June 10, 2011).]

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lima lay on the back of the gently shifting jellyfish as it drifted with the tide across the Capulin Straits and watched the constellations twinkling above.

My issue is it sounds like the jelly fish is watching the constellations. I'd suggest changing the order of the information, so Lima watched the constellations twinkling above as she lay on the back of the...

From there on though the story is active and interesting.

I like it.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
This is intriguing.

Upon first read I had the same odd assumption that she was either a pixie or just Thumbelina small. But the great thing about that is that once I realized that she was on an alien world I got this sense of a mortal entering the fairy world. I know this is SF, but I found the overlap of themes to be a kind of beautiful juxtaposition.

I would definitely keep reading, and I would be happy to crit this one for you if you like.

-Jo

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.