Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Nanite Imam, ~7000 Words, WIP

Author Topic: The Nanite Imam, ~7000 Words, WIP
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

First thirteen of a spinoff story of another story I posted first thirteen for a few months ago. I've written up to the climax and am struggling with the scene, but hope to have a completed first draft in a couple days for anyone who might be interested in reading the full manuscript. I'm happy to exchange critiques.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
FIRST 13:

Ninety-Nine Names of God. Ninety-nine attributes of power, among them the Giver of Life, the Bringer of Death. Ninety-nine algorithms for ninety-nine subroutines for ninety-nine thousand nanites. Godhood, coded.
Abu Sufyan carried the box, glistening with mother-of-pearl patterns of stars within octagons within stars, on outstretched palms. His bare feet glided off the pomegranate-colored carpet of the prayer alcove that girded Al-Azhar’s courtyard. The cool marble contrasted the midsummer Cairo heat, and despite his urgency, he slowed his pace to enjoy it.
He would have already reached his destination if he’d been permitted to carry the Ninety-Nine code in his own nanocore and dispense with the ceremony of its presentation. Shaykh Murad Ibn ...

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited June 27, 2011).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Love it, Osiris. The mixture of the old tradition and the high tech. I'd read on.

One minor critique would be the one I've been bludgeoned with during my time here at Hatrack: favor sentence flow over description. Another would be in the first line of the second paragraph: Does the box or Abu Sufayn "glisten"?

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

[This message has been edited by History (edited June 27, 2011).]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Thanks Dr. Bob, "glistening" is indeed ambiguous there, thanks for the catch!
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job on the opening paragraph. I’m very curious.

My only nit is that I got no sense of what the 'urgency' was. Without this, I don't see why anyone short of a masochist wouldn't pause to get some sort of relief from the heat, so that passage comes across as taking up valuable First 13 space...which could have been used to perhaps add a few extra words about the presentation ceremony.

Other than that...fairly well done.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice set up, you have the location and there's even some hint of the time period too. Maybe even some hint of the problem, depending on what that might be... I could see it going in two or three different directions just as it is.

Good descriptions. I really can't say anything more except that the opening reminds me of an old story. The story doesn't start like that but it deals with the Names of God. Never can remember the number but something like the Nine million names of God. I'm sure a couple of of hatrackers will say the correct name.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C Clarke.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:

"The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C Clarke.

Indeed, an excellent short story. I doubt my story is in the same league, and it doesn't go in the same direction. Also, the concept of ninety-nine names of God is a real Islamic principle, I'm not sure if the monks' endeavor is based on real Tibetan philosophy or not.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
That's it. Should have remembered the Billion but I'm mildly surprised it really was nine.

I know your story goes a different way but it still reminds me of it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tryndakai
Member # 9427

- posted      Profile for Tryndakai   Email Tryndakai         Edit/Delete Post 
EXCELLENT opening paragraph. Each iteration of "ninety-nine" somethings has me mildly interested, then curious, and then, "Godhood, coded." Bam! My interested is piqued right to the top! How very intriguing . . . I could make some tiny nits that I noticed only on the second read-through, but mostly I'm simply intrigued. Carry it in his own nanocore? Is that saying something about his physiology, perhaps? Questions, questions.

The only real "nit" is that I prefer mother-of-pearl "inlays" over "patterns," for some unfathomable reason. Probably a matter of exposure to the phrase and nothing else.

Good hook. Nice mixture of two seemingly vastly different elements. Good pacing and solid voice, from what I can tell. Props.

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Tryn, you are absolutely correct, "inlay" is a much better word there, and I believe I have fathomed the reason.

"Inlay" implies a specific craftsmanship and technique that involves three dimensions (there is a depth and texture involved in inlay, a z-axis in geometrical terms). "Patterned" is pretty unspecific; one can paint or draw a pattern in two dimensions. So inlay is more specific and descriptive of the kind of artwork used in making these kind of boxes:

http://www.trocadero.com/sindler/items/1075982/catphoto.jpg

In any case, that is my long-winded way of saying thanks, and I'll definitely change the word in the MS.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited June 29, 2011).]

WakefieldMahon
Member # 9555

- posted      Profile for WakefieldMahon   Email WakefieldMahon         Edit/Delete Post 
On the first reading I was thoroughly confused by the wordiness, however on the second read through I was able to discern your meaning and it does sound like a fascinating start. Beyond that I concur with the earlier assessments. Perhaps I just need more caffeine
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.