Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Way

Author Topic: The Way
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a one k thing I wrote in an hour. Interested what everyone thinks of the opening

They made up their mind and started packing.
“Should we bring our medicine?” Helen asked
John smiled at her. It was the first time in a month his wife was able to maintain a coherent conversation. She used to fade in and out, now moments of clarity were rare jewels he treasured. Equally as rare was his shaking had stopped. It was as if their decision had cured them.
“Let’s leave it behind,” he said. “It hasn’t been working all that well anyway.”
They put their single suitcase in the backseat of their 15-year old Buick and left before the sun came up. John drove south, sticking to the costal highway and off the freeway. He saw Helen looking up at the mountains. The glow of the rising sun

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious. So I would read on but I think a bit of color would be good. And was it cool etc?

Should there be a -ing word in the First sentence?

But it's simple and to the point which is good.

Yes, I know it's short which is why I said a bit of color. And a bit of the five senses would help I think. If you can get a couple in other than hearing and sight.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited July 02, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Frank,
Here's some thoughts.

I don't believe -They made up their mind- is grammatically correct.

You have three uses of the word -it-. The first one should change because it refers to nothing. The second two refer to the medicine but after a break that's just long enough for me to have to go back and question what -it- was referring to.

You could remove the first dialog and make it an active scene.

-They put their single suitcase...- Telling again. I mean, I can see it, but it's past tense as if it already happened. The scene is a still photograph in my mind. Can you make it a moving scene?

Is -15 yr old- significant? With only 1k words, each fact should be necessary, or gone. (This may be too harsh, as this could be in for flavor, but I think flavor comes from -the glow of the rising sun-. The Glow isn't technically necessary either, but you are painting a picture, creating a scene, so it's a nice visual, while 15 yr old is simply an uninteresting fact.)

Lastly, -He saw Helen looking- is passive and tell-y. Make it active and emotional.

I don't know why they're leaving. But am willing to keep reading to find out. There's enough character and curiosity/hook for me to go on.

Remember, nothing above is fact. Just my opinion meant to get your creative mind working. Hopefully something was helpful.

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited July 06, 2011).]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
My rock didnt hit you in the head did it?

Alright on to the first 13.

Simple and interesting.

I had 2 suggestions.

I would suggest showing the first line, versus telling it, more impact and could be done fairly easily.

"So we're leaving?"
John nodded. "Yeah." He tossed the suitcase on the bed. "I guess we are."
"Should we bring out medicine?"....

Alright not great, but you probably get what I am trying to say.

My other thought, was, the line of Equally as rare, was having him hold his hand out. It just seemed a way of showing motion in the story, adding a little showing.

Ex.Equally as rare--he held his hand out for confirmation--his shaking had stopped.

Something along that line.

Good luck.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Thank you gentlemen.

quote:
Should there be a -ing word in the First sentence?

I would agree with you and Tiergan 99% of the time on this but there is a very good reason why I choose to write the first line that way. There is a relationship between the title and it. I was hoping someone would have pieced it together, and more hopefully, an editor will as well.

Nevertheless, this opening could use some improvements.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I can see the connection now that you mentioned but at the same time I don't feel like it's very strong.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfCreature
Member # 9486

- posted      Profile for WolfCreature   Email WolfCreature         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper,

I admire that you can crank out 1k in an hour (the most I've ever been able to manage is 250 words) However...

> They made up their mind and started packing.
Unless this couple is a hermaphroditic Siamese twin joined at the head, then I think they would have made up their minds.

> Helen asked
John smiled at her.
How about adding either a comma or and >and< after asked.

> It was the first time in a month his wife was able to maintain a coherent conversation.
Try getting rid of these fuzzy was-ies: For the first time in a month his wife could maintain a coherent conversation.

> She used to fade in and out, now moments of clarity were rare jewels he treasured.
Get rid of that passive >were<. How about: She used fade in and out and he treasured like rare jewels her moments of clarity.

Equally as rare was his shaking had stopped.
Just cut >was<: Equally as rare, his shaking had stopped.

> John drove south, sticking to the costal highway
costal, n. pertaining to the ribs or the upper sides of the body: eg. costal nerves. So these Siamese hermaphroditic twins are small enough to travel on someone's upper body. And this body also has freeway that they decided not to take. Interesting.

Well, anyone can see the road that they walk on is paved in gold...

- WolfCreature

........../\,,,,,,,/\
..........’’\,,,,,,/’’
.........“””9,,,9“”"
.........“””\,,,,/”””
............””(..)””
............V’’’’’’V
.............^,,,,^

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I totally read it as coastal. That's not like me to miss that. In my own writing, sure, but not during a crit. Nice catch Wolf.

I'm totally missing the -ing thing in the first sentence. Does it have to do with -their mind- ? If you're saying you wrote the sentence very intentionally, and it's not like you to make such a mistake in the first sentence, then what are you getting at?

(I'm asking this question with one eyebrow raised.) For an example, please see the 19.5 second marker of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0KvbSqfd28

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

You never miss a thing, do you wolfie? Even got the reference.

Thanks everyone. See all the mistakes you can make in an hour?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, I missed the was-s etc. and misspellings too.

Then again passive sentence usually do not bother me like they seem to do a lot of readers. I'm working on that in my writing though.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
"Was" or "were" are simple past tense. They are not inherently passive constructions - they will occur in passive constructions but only if the past tense is being used.

"They were walking" is not passive.
"They were hit by a car" is passive ("A car hit them" is the active equivalent. "They are hit by a car" is still passive, just in the present tense, so no occurence of "were").

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

tchernabyelo

"They were walking" sounds passive with both the were and the -ing word or it sounds like the what passes for passive in the do not do list. Or maybe it sounds too much like tell. but it both boils down to don't use either word if you can keep from using them.

axeminister
Member # 8991

Louis,

It might have to do with what comes next also.

They were walking toward the spacecraft when an alien emerged and stepped on them.

They were walking, but had no destination in mind. It felt nice to walk.

I've recently begun to substitute -ed words for -ing words in my stuff and I swear that's making it better.

Axe

H.G.Galt
Member # 9573

- posted      Profile for H.G.Galt   Email H.G.Galt         Edit/Delete Post 
I think cars are good "markers" with which to characterize. Instead of telling us the car is "a 15 year old Buick", maybe you could describe what a 15 year old Buick looks like. If it's been stored on the coast for years, there's likely to be rust spots, bubbled up areas of corrosion from the salt water.

-Trey

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.