Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Where Flesh meets Stone - 7K fantasy

Author Topic: Where Flesh meets Stone - 7K fantasy
Dame
Member # 8513

- posted      Profile for Dame   Email Dame         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my latest and perhaps last hope for WOTF. Any feedback appreciated. [Smile] ((Edited: I'm OK for crits for the whole piece. I'm looking for feedback on the opening to make it as intriguing, enticing and promising as possible.))

Damon.

Where Flesh Meets Stone

Euryale watched the man pull his tiny boat up onto the sand below her. Anger swelled and crackled in her chest. The last human to disturb her lay in scattered stone fragments below her perch. She had hoped to be forgotten. Had hoped to forget them, too.

He heaved the boat high above the tide mark before facing the cliffs. He obviously thought he had a chance of returning. From up here on the icy peak of the ancient volcano, only the shore was visible. The man disappeared into the shelter of the cliffs, and she shifted on her perch of rock, letting the wind lift and spread her useless wings, wondering whether to slide over the ice and peer down on him. More than likely he would slip on the slick rock and fall. Did the thought comfort or disappoint her? She could not decide.

[ November 07, 2011, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Dame ]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it to me.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Actually, I'm fine for longer crits. I can send it if you would like to read it, but I'm really hoping to hone the opening to make it as enticing as possible. Thanks though.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it to me anyway. I'm not very good at looking at just the opening without context...once I know what the story actually is I can perhaps make a decent comment.

For me, the first word (in this case name) is enough to get me interested, but that's just me. The same thing will turn off anyone who is disinterested in/bored of Greek mythology.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I would read on. I think you did a good job of building the character of Euryale and giving her enough complexity to pull me in. Also, you've set up a pending conflict between the two characters which I am eager to see resolved.

A few little details for your consideration:

Euryale watched the man pull his tiny boat up onto the sand below her. Anger swelled and crackled in her chest [evokes two different images that to me zaps the power of both-swelled is watery, crackles is dry/ firey]. The last human to disturb her lay in scattered stone fragments below her perch. She had hoped to be forgotten. Had hoped to forget them, too. [these last two lines were a good hook, I thought]

He [The man? Just to keep us grounded in her POV. Also, you might consider building a bit more--you've established there's a man--maybe drop another detail about him so we get a clearer sense of the time/ setting we are in--is he wearing a tunic or jeans? Does he have a sword or a gun?] heaved the boat high above the tide mark before facing the cliffs. He obviously thought he had a chance of returning [don't think you need this--pretty clear what his intentions are]. From up here on the icy peak of the ancient volcano, only the shore was visible [don't think you need this line, either, as you've established us in her POV]. The man disappeared into the shelter of the cliffs, and she shifted on her perch of rock, letting the wind lift and spread her useless wings, wondering whether to slide over the ice and peer down on him. More than likely he would slip on the slick rock and fall. Did the thought comfort or disappoint her? She could not decide.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Thanks, annepin. Good points. I'll address them in the next draft. I love honing the opening. Much less terrifying than editing a whole draft. [Smile]
wisealma
Member # 9690

- posted      Profile for wisealma   Email wisealma         Edit/Delete Post 
Dame,

This has some good elements that peak my interest, and make me want to keep reading. I do try to take note, however, of where I find myself pausing to make sure I understood something, or when I have to read something over again.

For me, the difficulty surfaced with the orientation-related contrasts you created. I just had to read them several time to make sure I understood.

For example:

[up] on to the sand [below] her.
...lay in scattered fragments [below] her perch.

...the boat [high] above the tide mark...
From [up] here on the icy peak...

I get the sense that you are trying to create an air of mystery by how you are ordering the perspective (from up on the perch, then jumping down to the man below, then up on the perch again... etc) I felt a little disoriented.

Just my humble 2 cents.

Thanks
Justin

[ November 19, 2011, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: wisealma ]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Thanks, Justin. You know, it's something I notice in other's work, sending the reader's attention jumping all over the place instead of a smooth steady flow, say from top to bottom.

Seems like I need to have a look at that here! Thank you - good point.

D

Uley Bone
Member # 9696

- posted      Profile for Uley Bone   Email Uley Bone         Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting opener, and just a few thoughts of my own after reading...

In the first paragraph, you might either consider dropping the last fragment, or joining it in with the previous sentence. It's a little awkward, as is.
Same with the second paragraph, as her indecision is already obvious in the prior sentence.

Does seem to work though, as in getting the reader to keep moving on with the story.

Uley

Posts: 21 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Thanks Uley.

I think I'll keep the first para as it is, as I like the style of it, but your second point is interesting. Not being able to decide makes her perhaps too conscious of how she feels, and I may well cut it.

Thanks a lot.

D

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.