Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Chingu

Author Topic: Chingu
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
Genre: Urban Horror; Length: 7000 words; Looking for readers/swaps

The gray smoke from Kim Jung Hyun’s cigarette drifted up from the burning ashes to curl around her neck. She sat opposite her seongsaegnim, O Seung Tae, in the Café Bene in Nohyeong Rotary. Seung Tae slouched back in his chair, legs crossed, and stared out the window into the darkening evening. The days had grown longer as March fell to April, the snowy winter given way to a rainy spring. Already, it was almost eight o’clock, and Jung Hyun checked a sigh of impatience as she waited for her seongsaegnim to tell her why he’d called the meeting today.

“The Gwanlyo has given you a new assignment.” Seung Tae took a slow pull from his cigarette, and turned to look directly at Jung Hyun as he blew a long funnel cloud of smoke from his nose. “We need a human.”

[ April 01, 2012, 02:57 AM: Message edited by: Denevius ]

Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C@R3Y
Member # 9669

- posted      Profile for C@R3Y   Email C@R3Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it to me.

I don't really do 13 lines.

=]

Posts: 193 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

thanks for the offer. i sent it along to you.
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
let me get through this week (end of a quarter..ick) and I can give it a read.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what a seongsaegnim is and tripped straight over the word.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

sorry you tripped, pdblake.

and babooher, i'll send it along and feel more than free to get to it when your quarter ends. good luck on exams(?)!

babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Denevius. I'm the one who gets to grade the exams...One last batch, one last batch
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

haha. well, have fun with that!
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the prose and the set up. One suggestion, by stringing together so many words out of the normal, "..seongsaegnim, O Seung Tae, in the Café Bene in Nohyeong Rotary. Seung Tae...", you run the risk of pulling the reader out before he gets invested in the story. You might try breaking them up and introducing them in some context so the reader has a chance to internalize them.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

thanks for the suggestion, utahute72!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.