Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Hidden

Author Topic: Hidden
easterabbit
Member # 9810

- posted      Profile for easterabbit           Edit/Delete Post 
The dog danced in the heat haze as it dragged the carcass away from the perimeter. Jomal adjusted the targeting sight on the flechette rifle, keeping the animal centered.
He touched his temple "Dog's come back. It's chewing on the fox Sila killed yesterday."
"Has it crossed the boundary?" Vikan's voice was crisp in his ear.
Jomal slid a non-lethal round in the breach. "If it had, it would be history, wouldn't it?"
There was pause. "Watch your tongue, Jomal. Kill the dog if it crosses the line."
Jomal sighed. "I'm trying to tell you that I think the dog knows about the perimeter. It drags the corpses away before it starts eating. Same each day. It may be a probe of some sort."
Another pause. "Really?"

[ May 05, 2012, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: easterabbit ]

Posts: 61 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! I'd keep reading this for sure.

One small quibble, though. "The dog danced" creates a different image from what it turns out to be, so there's a disconnect there.

How about "The dog rippled"?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eliza C
Member # 9805

- posted      Profile for Eliza C           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, danced is a strong verb but maybe not quite the right one - I'd picture more planting and jerking motions. Away from the perimeter of what, I thought as I read? If the boundary has a name, a specific here would be nice to grab onto, even if I don't know details yet.
Again, I would suggest specific terminology in "He touched [the gem/button/switch/whatever] at his temple" - good job though on not giving too much info, it's obvious here that he's operating a communication device.
Otherwise good. Intriguing start.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.