Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Story's A Story No Matter How Small

Author Topic: A Story's A Story No Matter How Small
SR Dev
Member # 9986

- posted      Profile for SR Dev   Email SR Dev         Edit/Delete Post 
A Story's A Story No Matter How Small
(Except When It's Just Not A Story At All)

1,200 Speculative Fiction. Humor.

“How long have you been expecting, Mr. Bartles?”

I shift on the examining table, uncomfortable in just my boxers. The papery hospital gown chafes against my thighs. My head pounds. “Three months.”

Dr. Ditore nods once and swivels her metal stool to face the screen displaying my chart. “This is your first abortion?”

“Yes.” I close my eyes, half because I can't handle her professional-grade pity, and half because of the florescent lights of the clinic room.

Clack, clack, clack, go her nails against the keyboard.

I ignore the pain playing the inside of my skull like a steel drum.

“Have you titled it?” she asks.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanB
Member # 10008

- posted      Profile for RyanB   Email RyanB         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it. Nothing else to say but that.
Posts: 222 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SR Dev
Member # 9986

I'm looking for someone to read it and give feedback, especially on spelling, grammar and if the jokes work. Interested?
Posts: 37 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a go. But, after my last foray on your writing you may politely decline. I won't mind.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SR Dev
Member # 9986

No, not at all! A good critique never hurt anybody. [Smile]
RyanB
Member # 10008

- posted      Profile for RyanB   Email RyanB         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, send it over.
Posts: 222 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked out the story--or opening that is--because of the header.
I was expecting something under 500 words with that header. [Smile] 1200 isn't all that short.

But as to the opening not bad at all, very good. You introduce the MC, show the unique problem, and have every humans sense except for taste.

I'm in the middle of a bunch of crits now so I rather not do it but if the rest of the story is like this you may not need much help.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
While cleverly arranged, this opening signals to me a joke ending at readers' expense. Every writer is entitled to one in a lifetime and every reader ought to experience one in a lifetime. They don't work for me, though I suppose a collection of them could be used for modeling an analysis of their conventions.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
extrinsic may have a point

It would be normal to expect a punch line or humorous story with this opening. But I wouldn't be as harsh with my words. Since it is obvious it probably would be cut some slack.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the whole story and I didn't feel like I was the butt of the joke. I will get my crit to you asap, SR Dev, but things have gone a bit haywire for me recently.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the title.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SR Dev
Member # 9986

There is a bit of a punchline, but it's not so much a "trick". At least I don't think it is. The title refers to the Dr.Seuss quote a person's a person no matter how small, that has been co-opted by the pro-life movement. Although perhaps a better title.

A Story's A Story No Matter How Droll
Unless, of course, it's not a story at All

(yay, slant rhyme?)

Or maybe

A Story's A Story No Matter How Banal
Unless, of course, It's Not A Story At All

except for the problem with the guy's story isn't exactly that it's banal, but more that it's scattered and doesn't really have a plot.(The doctor asks him why he wrote it, and he said he wanted to express a feeling.)

No rush Phil. [Smile]

mayflower988
Member # 9858

- posted      Profile for mayflower988   Email mayflower988         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely got the Dr. Seuss/pro-life reference. Especially the pro-life part, since the guy's about to have an "abortion."
Is the title "A Story's a Story No Matter How Small," or does the title include "Unless, of Course, it's Not a Story at All"?

Posts: 298 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SR Dev
Member # 9986

It includes the bottom line, too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.