Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 50 WORD STORIES

Author Topic: 50 WORD STORIES
Rocketdog
Member # 11236

- posted      Profile for Rocketdog   Email Rocketdog         Edit/Delete Post 
Wanted some feedback on my 50 word stories - is that permitted?

The Hatrack River Writers Workshop forum is not a publisher. Posting a complete story here counts as publishing, which is why I have deleted them.

If people would like to read and comment on your 50-word stories, they will need to volunteer here. Then you can email your stories to them.

[ October 09, 2019, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Kathleen Dalton Woodbury ]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmmaSohan
Member # 10917

- posted      Profile for EmmaSohan   Email EmmaSohan         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting!

She felt the pill in her hand. Enough could kill her. Did she want to die?

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Maybe. She held the pill to her mouth.

She put the pill in her mouth.

She . . . swallowed.

#16.

She took another pill. Did she want to die?

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rocketdog
Member # 11236

Very good
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Greenstein
Member # 10615

- posted      Profile for Jay Greenstein   Email Jay Greenstein         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're trying to cram too much into too little to engage the reader:

quote:
He enters the chat room where potential victims await.
"The" chat room? On what subject, or age group, or...? And, "victims?" Ones s/he plans to scam? To drink their blood? As in sex targets? You know, but the reader isn't privy to your knowledge or intent, and has only what the words suggest to them.
quote:
An easy target’s needs ring out on the NET.
You lost me here because it might make sense to you, but...

I pretty much had the same problem with the others because you give the reader no context with which to make the story meaningful to a reader.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rocketdog
Member # 11236

Thanks thats useful
EmmaSohan
Member # 10917

Hi Jay. What would your 50 word story sound like?

I'm not sure how Rocketdog could fix those problems without exceeding the word limit. My story must have the same problems, right? My story doesn't tell her age! I've never done that before, it like violates a rule for me. But . . . maybe that's part of the art for a 50-word story.

You really should try it. Everyone should -- the thread demands to go in that direction.

[ October 09, 2019, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: EmmaSohan ]

Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Please do not post complete stories on this forum, whether they are 50-word stories or not.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Greenstein
Member # 10615

- posted      Profile for Jay Greenstein   Email Jay Greenstein         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hi Jay. What would your 50 word story sound like?
It's not mine, but here's one I like in thirty:

A rabbi, a priest, an imam, a minister, and a witch doctor enter a bar.

The bartender frowns at them and says, "What is this, some kind of a joke?"

It has a beginning, a middle, and a resolution, presented in a single M/R unit.

Something from me? It sounded like fun, so here's something exactly fifty words long:

Jason eased toward the cave’s mouth. The ogre was there, back to him, snorting in anger, upending carefully fashioned defenses as if they weighed nothing.

Now was his best chance, so, with a rush he leapt from the cave and to the attack, shouting, “I have you now, evil Daddy!”

In fact, it's a true story, though the name has been changed to protect the innocent. [Wink]

quote:
I'm not sure how Rocketdog could fix those problems without exceeding the word limit.
Exactly. Too much detail for too little story because he's thinking in terms of explaining the plot instead of involving the reader's emotions. Lots of people have written stories containing all the elements of one in ten words. And a joke is a story often requiring only fifty words. The trick is in the emotional conntent, not cinematic detail.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rocketdog
Member # 11236

Kathleen - apologies and thank you for the direction - i wont do it again.
EmmaSohan
Member # 10917

Thanks Jay. That answered my question well.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.