Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Do you have something in print? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do you have something in print?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
This discussion area is for Hatrack writers who have had something published--so you can let the rest of us know what and where.

Paying markets are the best places to be published, but if you really want to tell us about something you've got published in a nonpaying market, go ahead and use this space.

Messages will be deleted after they have been here for a while--say a month--so don't be shocked if that happens.

And please don't fill this up with congratulations. It's nice to get the applause, but it can make the whole system clunky and slow, and we don't want that.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Enola Mai
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for Enola Mai   Email Enola Mai         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll be the first to brag. My poem "Goodnight Moon" was published in the latest issue of Maelstrom, a lit mag in NJ. "Goodnight Moon" is on page 39, under my real name Sarah Jewell. Since none of you probably get the mag, here's the web address:

www.geocities.com/~readmaelstrom

Their website is a little lacking, and a little out-of-date, but the hard copy is great, so get a subscription!

I don't think my poem's on the website now, so here's the poem (hope you don't mind me putting it right here, it's short)!

Goodnight moon

for Karen "Luna" Edwards

The cool moon, a spotlight
four beams from four corners
centered in the stage sky.

Its orange tint hints that
it is a sweet cheese;
not green, but American.
A pale penny,
Lincoln’s face faded
worn from God’s rubbing thumbs.

If Eve spins in a sequined skirt
then the moon is her pendant.
I sit down to dine with her
at the dark smooth table
scattered with salt stars and
drink the half-full cup of moon.

*Enola Mai

Oh, any comments, go to the Young Writer's Poetry discussion, I'll open up a topic there. Or just e-mail me.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 282

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush   Email Samuel Bush         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a tiny bit of success. I wrote a poem "The Ballad of Uncle Fred" which a genealogist in New England asked if she could publish in a family new letter. She said that she couldn't pay me anything, but I said, what the heck, go ahead anyway, just be sure to spell my name right.
I was one of five winners in a parody contest conducted by political parodist Paul Silhan. He pieced together a parody of "The Beat Goes On" from the entries and sent each of the winners three of his CD's. It was actually pretty good payment for a couple of lines: Donkey Kong was once the rage, uh huh/Now you need your own home page, uh huh.
I have also had several articles published in my company's news letter. I didn't get paid for it (other than my regular wages) but then I didn't expect to either. Hey, adulation is good too. I haven't figured out yet if the publication of my articles is a reflection of my writing skills or my supervisors' relief that they don't have to write the articles themselves.
I don't suppose the next items account for much, because I've since read articles which indicate that most poery contests are scams and not searches for quility work. Anyway, two of my poems were supposedly printed in contest anthologies. Fortunately, I didn't buy their books for 50 bucks each plus S&H, so I'll never know. I also don't enter contests anymore. The poem's names (in case anyone cares) are "Mother's Old Button Jar" and "To J.S. Bach."

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bina
Member # 11

- posted      Profile for Bina   Email Bina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had quite a few things published in paying markets--my first big hooray came in June of this year. That's when my story, "Writer's Block at the Cafe des Poetes" was accepted by Cafe Irreal, a surrealist web-mag. I got $5 US for it--not a whole lot, but a nice start! (The same has since bought two other stories from me--"Why They Juggle Fishes Here", and "Waltzing Down A Ladder". I've also sold a poem, "Worldbuilding", to Dreams and Nightmares magazine, for $5. I'm slowly but surely building publication credits, which is really nice...

'Bina.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Apr 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Osh
Member # 356

- posted      Profile for Osh   Email Osh         Edit/Delete Post 
I only have one thing published so far, and that isn't even recent. Four years ago in fifth grade I got a piece of my work published. I am hoping to get another one of my stories published relatively soon.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
rainsong
Member # 430

- posted      Profile for rainsong   Email rainsong         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had my article, Today's Samaritans, published in Jackhammer E-zine. I got $6 for that.
Posts: 386 | Registered: Mar 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeannette Hill
Member # 317

- posted      Profile for Jeannette Hill   Email Jeannette Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been published in the Literary magazines of the first two jr. colleges I went to. the Muse at Riverside Community College in Riverside, CA (three consecutive issues), and the Mirage at Cochise College in Sierra Vista, AZ. I wasn't paid for any of them, but it was quite a rush to see my poems in print. At RCC, it was a "blind" submission process, where our advisor and the author, (if they were on the staff), knew who's piece it was, but no one else did until all of the pieces were chosen. So, I even got to hear what others thought of my work without them knowing the writer was in the room and that was pretty cool. Even though not everyone liked my work, it was good to hear their unbuffered opinions.
Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Xoe
Member # 570

- posted      Profile for Xoe   Email Xoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...when I was in 2nd grade, I had one of my poems published in the Anthology of Young American Poets. It might not be much, but hey, it was definitely a start.
Posts: 79 | Registered: Jul 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I have had accepted for publication my short story FORGE OF THE NIGHT BIRD. It is dark fantasy and will be divided into three parts appearing in the next three issues of Wild Child Magazine at www.wildchildpublishing.com Short storys are not what I usually do so this feels great!

S.R.Howen

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
celebrin
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for celebrin   Email celebrin         Edit/Delete Post 
ummm.....*peeps up in a meek voice* i'm on the suggested reading at the library on elfwood.com under my real name nicole chartrand, but i guess that doesn't really count, does it?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it counts, Celebrin. You should hear Orson Scott Card talk about being a writer and how the writing is what is important.

Not only have you written, but your writing has found an audience. That's way cool.

Write on!

Joyce
Member # 956

- posted      Profile for Joyce   Email Joyce         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I started writing for 'real' about 4 years ago I was paid up to $75 for short stories with a few Sunday School and children's mags. Even sold a few photos, too. It was totally awsome when the editor called to ask me the first time. I even got a check in the mail 2 years later for the sale of the reprint. All in all they total about 8, I think. I had a Star Wars story published in a fan zine, got no money, just copies.
For the last 18 months or so I have only been studying and not writing. Really glad to be here on this website for the learning and encouragment.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been published in a small press magazine (Crossroads). The short story was a twisted fairy tale called "Sleeping Beauty." Since then, the pressures of work have kept me from writing as often as I would like... But now, I'm forcing myself to write more, and hope to have more in print soon!
Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Dante   Email Dante         Edit/Delete Post 
a short poem of mine, Night Owls, is being published in the new anthology from Poetry.com.

woo ha!

Dante

Posts: 316 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Dante   Email Dante         Edit/Delete Post 
a short poem of mine, Night Owls, is being published in the new anthology from Poetry.com.

woo ha!

Dante

Posts: 316 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently completed a magazine article on how to conduct a creative and entertaining driving tour of your home town using audio tapes. It will be published in DeLorean World magazine, due out this week.

When it comes out, you will see my article listed at the publisher's website:
www.delorean-owners.org

If you look back over the years, you will see my name on many articles in this magazine (and a few others).

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

The magazine is out, and I have mixed feeling about the results. The editor did a few things that leave me unhappy. For example, he took one of my sidebars and inserted it into the text in such a way as to make the article difficult to read. But he is the Editor, he must have had a good reason.

On the positive side, he did select my article for the prominent centerfold position, and he printed it (along with my photographs) in full color. He also featured my article on the cover of the magazine. I am aware that the Editor considers all three of these to be badges of honor, so I will not grumble about the tiny transcription problems that my critical eye spotted in the final product.

Jayelle
Member # 1184

- posted      Profile for Jayelle           Edit/Delete Post 
Dante, I'm really, really sorry to tell you this, but from what I've heard and experienced, poetry.com is a scam. They publish every poem in an "anthology", so that those who submit will buy their poems back. You have to be really cautious with poetry "contests", suprisingly enough, those that are free are usually the scams. Most real contests have a small entry fee (probably $5-$10).

~Jayelle~

[This message has been edited by Jayelle (edited June 28, 2001).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rina
Member # 825

- posted      Profile for Rina   Email Rina         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've heard that poetry.com and all those poetry contests inthe backs of magazines and stuff are scams. That's why I've never submitted.
I have a short story that I am going to be submitting to a publisher soon, it is almost finished. Problem is, it's becoming too long and I think that it will end up being more like a short novel than a story, which is a problem. So if it ends up being too long or whatever, what then?

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
Does writing a guest strip for a web comic count? (The script that is, I didn't do the drawing)
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
pam
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since anyone posted here. I'd like to hear about someone's successes. Who knows... maybe we will all rush out and buy your book!
 | Report this post to a Moderator
Rina
Member # 825

- posted      Profile for Rina   Email Rina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 essays that I will be submitting to a magazine soon. I'm also in the process of beginning a story that's a futuristic diplomatic kind of story. Who knows where it'll take me? :P
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
This may or may not turn out to be publication, but seems close enough to be excited about: My story "A Ship That Bends" was a finalist (but not a winner) in the second quarter Writers of the Future contest this year. They're hanging onto it for possible inclusion in the anthology, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's so cool. Way to go, both of you!
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
HopeSprings
Member # 1533

- posted      Profile for HopeSprings   Email HopeSprings         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All - I definitely feel like the odd woman out here! I love to read SF and other flights of fancy but what I write and have published is quite different! But I thought I would offer it up as potentially useful for anyone who has to make a living doing technical writing.

(Altho' - I did have a poem published at the tender age of 12, so long ago . . .)

My adult career has consisted of: an editorial regarding HIV/AIDs prevention efforts in my community for the local newspaper (no pay), an article on formula manufacturing scams and breastfeeding benefits for a statewide publication (free), articles on parenting issues for the local community (free), several successful grantwriting adventures (good money for the agency in question while I, of course, was a lowly college intern!), articles on community service issues for a variety of local organization newsletters (free). . . and (well-paid - it's part of my job) articles on public policy as it relates to crime victims issues for statewide publications, analysis of early childhood education issues and "other duties as assigned" such as legislative taskforce reports.

So, I don't know if that counts in the realm you all operate in, but it feeds me and my kid, allows me to develop my writing skills in at least the technical area and therefore allows me to use the talents I was graced with.

However, if anyone ever needs assistance in these areas, I would be glad to help out!

Posts: 70 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

I recently had a short-short story published, sort of.

Two weeks ago the layout guy for DeLorean Club of Ohio newsletter emailed me saying he needed another half page of material. It was four hours from press time. I told him I'd come up with something.

An hour later I had a complete short-short story, exactly the right size. The editor loved it (for what that's worth . . . the editor is ME) and four hours later my first bit of published fiction was coming out of the color copiers at CopyMax.

I didn't pay myself for the story, though the elimination of a half-blank page was a significant personal benefit. So far it has been well received.

BulldogDrummond
Member # 1213

- posted      Profile for BulldogDrummond   Email BulldogDrummond         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had a story of mine reprinted, but this time I actually got paid for it. A whole 5 dollars. Not enough to quit my day job, obviously, but it is the first time I've actually been paid for a story, which felt very cool. The story is "Farewell, Obesity" and can be found at TCMSFF.com, which an ezine that focuses on sff writers from Minnesota. I originally wrote the story years ago, and it appeared on darkplanet.com, but as they were looking for storiest that take place in the Twin Cities--and this one fit the bill--I zipped it off to the editor, who was very easy to work with. A couple friends in my local writing group have also been published there.

Also, I recently had a travel article on Crete & Santorini published on culturaltravels.com.

Now if I can just get some new material ready for submition....

Cheers,

Marc Drummond

Posts: 113 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
tresblam
Member # 1564

- posted      Profile for tresblam   Email tresblam         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had one novel published, Reign Of The Dragon.

The book is fantasy and follows the adventures of a scribe and his companions as they set off to destroy a nasty wizard named Illdred.

The book is full of magic, dragons, intrigue and even a talking wolf. The book is available at Amazon.com or the Barnes and Noble site.

Sandra Fallon

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
slickaway
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for slickaway   Email slickaway         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.

Brand new to this site...had no idea that it existed until today. I suppose like all the rest of you I'm an avid reader, especially of Mr. Cards.

My publishing credits all lie within the same field; Comic Books.

I started as an intern for a small independent publishing house in North Carolina (Hickory) where I wet my feet as a penciller and inker. However, after the books started to sell in higher volume I took on the additional responsibility of plotting many of the stories. Sadly, that is the extent of my comtribution to the literary world.

Can anyone tell me if any of that matters in this profession?

I have always written but never with the intent of getting published. Recently my wife cajoled me into trying my hand at that as well.

Hope I live up to her expectations.

And my own.

Thanks,

SLiCK

[This message has been edited by slickaway (edited January 14, 2003).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Slick, any storytelling work is going to be good experience for you. Readers tend to care about a good story as much if not more than they do about any other aspect of literature.

Work in comics and other such visual media may not teach you much about description, but it will teach you about plotting and dialog, both of which are crucial.

If you're asking about comic publishing credits counting for much in getting other kinds of stories published, then I'd have to say it would probably depend on the editors and on the stories you send to them.

Of course, if you're Neil Gaiman, you've got it made, but there are others out there who have done both, and at the very least your comic credits say that you know how to work in a professional environment.

I'd say that you have a head start over many people who decide to try selling what they write.

Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out yesterday that a magazine called the New Era wants to buy one of my poems. It will be a while before it is actually in print, though. Nothing huge, but it's my first.
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Brinestone!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

What Kolona said, Brinestone.

Way to go!

PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I made a pro sale!

I just got an e-mail from Elizabeth Bear, editor at Abyss & Apex, a bimonthly online speculative fiction magazine, accepting my short-short story "Just Like Meteors" for publication.

By the way, this is a very cool market: They take electronic submissions, turn around responses very quickly, and offer constructive feedback. They're at http://klio.net/abyssandapex/

Luc

[This message has been edited by PaganQuaker (edited March 05, 2003).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

Way to go, Luc! Congrats!
Rahl22
Member # 1411

That's fantastic -- let us know when it appears so that we can all read it!
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Congratulations, Luc.
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

Even better news! I just got the e-mail that they will be publishing my short story "A Ship That Bends" in the Writers of the Future anthology (number XIX) this year! As I understand it, this credit comes with payment and an all-expenses-paid trip to the awards ceremony and accompanying week-long writers workshop. I'm giddy with amazement and joy here!

Luc

Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 

That's just wonderful!!! Congratulations, and here's to a wonderful time there!

Someday I'll be able to say "I knew her when..."

PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

Well, him, actually, but thanks for the good wishes regardless.

Luc (pronounced like "Luke." It's the French version.)

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's quite an honor! Congratulations, Luc...and make sure you give us all the scoop about that awards ceremony after you go!
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

I'm sure you deserve it, Luc. Congratulations big time.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Congratulations, Luc.

My first sale was to the Writers of the Future anthology (my story is in volume 9).

That week-long workshop was an interesting experience. It's fun to see how the careers of the other writers in the group have gone on--I see some of their names every so often in various publications.

You'll be glad you went. Make the most of it.

Brinestone
Member # 747

So sorry!!
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

No worries, Brinestone.
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so jealous.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

Hey, and I should mention: The current quarter of the WotF contest ends March 31st, so you can take your best speculative story, spend a couple of days making it the absolute best it can be, and send it off. Full contest info at www.writersofthefuture.com. Substantial prizes for quarterly winners, fame, glory, and it's free to enter ...

Luc

Rahl22
Member # 1411

Great news, Luc!

I always get the WotF anthology -- and I can't wait to read your piece! I hope they pay you a goose that lays golden eggs; I'm positive you deserve it.

DEC
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for DEC           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

This is my first post and an introduction of sorts I guess. My most recent work was a poem in the Northwood Journal called "Silent Seclusion". It was published this year and I was paid a small sum for it. I also have two fantasy novels in print. One called "Quest for the Eye of Light" (1996) and the other is "Greed" (1997). Both are available at www.journeybookspublishing.com BN.com and Amazon.com. That's an interesting story in itself. I signed with Journey Books, a small press of course, and then later I bought the press. In a way I guess that makes me a self-publisher, but that wasn't my original intention. The books have done well. I published a poem in an anthology called "The Eyes of a Child" sometime back. My first publication was in an anthology by Coolsprings Press in 1995. The story was called "Of Earth and Imagination." I still get a small royalty from that. All the stories are under my real name, Donnie Clemons.

[This message has been edited by DEC (edited April 24, 2003).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachant
Member # 1648

- posted      Profile for Sachant   Email Sachant         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it may not be seen as much, but I was just published as a co-author for a game strategy guide. It ended up being 365 grueling pages and was a collaberation of many people. The fiction itself in the book was written by the game loremaster and we had to edit submissions from testers as well.

It's the Shadowbane Strategy guide by Brady Games. It's kind of wild to think it's now in the library of congress. *boggle* I also was a game site manager and wrote many essays and rants for public consumption.

I'm looking to do far more creative writing however since it is my true love.

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.