Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Hatrack writer on Screen

Author Topic: Hatrack writer on Screen
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. It's not print media, and it's not my writing but- if you have kids "Elmo in Grouchland" seems to be having a theatrical rerelease. I'm in it as a puppeteer. There's also a point, five minutes into the film, where I'm on camera as an extra.

So- if it's in your area and you're taking your kids anyway, I'll tell you how to spot me. After Elmo leaves the landromat, he parachutes down with his blanket (it'll make sense in context) directly behind him is an icecream cart. I'm the woman in the hat.

The puppetry stuff is harder to spot. I'm listed in the credits as Mary Harrison. (maiden name. Robinette is my middle, not my married name, but that's another story)

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited June 23, 2004).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
Way cool! I'll be looking for you!

And will be able to say "I kinda, sorta, maybe a little, know her!"

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
How exciting! Congrats!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. Kowal:

Please accept my sincerest felicitations!

Mr. Fisher

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all. It's actually something I did several years ago. I was surprised as all get out when I drove past our local theater and saw it on the marquee. It's a fun film and a chance to see me in living color.
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

- posted      Profile for Eric Sherman   Email Eric Sherman         Edit/Delete Post 
And ELMO! Like, omigosh!
Posts: 78 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

And there are even two shots where <gasp> I work Elmo. Hold your applause. Both shots are about as long as one hand clap. Kevin Clash (The Real Elmo) does not perform marionettes. I do. So, I got to manipulate Elmo. From a bosun's chair 40 feet above the soundstage.... Which they dropped. On purpose, but still, there's no excitement like dropping twenty feet holding a puppet wondering if the safety line will hold. Ah... art.
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow!

So, do you still work with the Muppets? It sounds from your post like you no longer work with them.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I'm a freelance puppeteer. I focus on stage, but do the occasional tv/film gig.

If you want to see my reel--it's kinda the query letter/portfolio of the tv world--go to http://homepage.mac.com/leo3nyc/Maryreel/iMovieTheater35.html
You need quicktime and a highspeed connection.

punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird - we just bought that, and misplaced it. Now our local theater is doing kids movies on Tues and Wed mornings, and "Elmo in Grouchland" was shown June 29-30 (we missed it)! So now I must redouble my efforts to find the dvd. Way cool!

So do you think that the new "Thunderbirds" movie is blasphemous against the original???

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I haven't seen it, but it looks like part of the whole trend to take cartoon characters and make them into live action characters. On the other hand, there was no reason for the original characters to be marionettes at all.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited July 21, 2004).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.