Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » My new publisher, LBF Books

Author Topic: My new publisher, LBF Books
Edmund
Member # 2044

- posted      Profile for Edmund   Email Edmund         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a call last night from Jackie Druga-Johnston, the top gun at LBF Books. They are a small-press publisher in Pittsburg, PA. She called to tell me my novel The Legend of Dreaming Creek is going to be the first book on their list of releases for 2007.

She had said in an e-mail last week that they were "interested" and that the novel would probably come out "sometime late in 2007." But she made it official last night, and commented repeatedly on how "clean" the manuscript was (i.e. free of errors) and that would shave several months off the editing process. I wish I could take credit for that, but I have many people to thank for their help producing such a clean manuscript.

She also said she was sending one copy of the MS to one of her other editors for a final pass, and another copy to the artist who will be developing the cover art. She's also sending me a blank copy of their standard contract so I can review it and see I there are any points I want to negotiate on. Seems like a very writer-friendly operation; I guess that's one of the reasons why they are recomended by the web-site Preditors & Editors.

The official launch won't be until June (or so), but the book will go to the printers in January and the first round of proof copies will be available by February. They start by sending early copies out to book buyers and reviewers.

There is still a lot of work to do and a lot of waiting to endure, but I'd say by sometime next spring I should have a copy of my first novel.

Posts: 1200 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Edmund, that's fantastic!
Major congrats!!!

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
[insert happy dance]

Wonderful news.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news. Congratulations.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
A big congrats!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
What wonderful news! Congratulations.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your upcoming novel in print.

LBF has a nice bunch of folks. They also put out a few magazines, such as Writers Post Journal and Talisman.

They also have a nice submission site where you can keep track of activity on your submissions and even send notes to the editor in charge of your work.

Not to highjack, but my story is in the June issue currently on sale. $9.00 for the print, $4.00 for downloadable PDF.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edmund
Member # 2044

- posted      Profile for Edmund   Email Edmund         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to you all.

Marva, highjack away. I love good news, and the Writer's Post Journal is a first-rate magazine. They published the first chapter of my novel while I was still working on the rest of it back on August of '04 (as well as a couple other short stories in the ensuing years), and I'm sure that helped them decide in favor of taking my novel, too.

Posts: 1200 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to you, too, Marva.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Good show!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.