Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Touch of Fate Available for Pre-Order

Author Topic: Touch of Fate Available for Pre-Order
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I announced the sale of my novel a long time ago but I wanted to update you and let you know that it's available for pre-order at amazon.com.

It's called Touch of Fate.

The basic premise: Marianne can predict the future but is powerless to alter its course. In the wake of a murder, Marianne must learn the truth -- about herself, about her power, and about the murderer -- before she becomes the next victim. Because it looks like the murderer can predict the future, too.

Here's my web site:

www.christineamsden.com

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited November 13, 2007).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Those are some pretty good reviews.

If I buy one, can I send it to you to sign?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Absolutely!

I am also looking into selling signed copies on my web site. This would be cheaper since you wouldn't have to pay to have it shipped both ways. The only thing is, I'm running into trouble with how sales tax works. I actually decided to write this post in part to take a break from the legalize. It almost sounds as if I have to buy a license to collect sales tax -- which would pretty much make the whole venture not financially feasible. Sigh....it can't be this hard, right?

One way or another, though, I can get it signed.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I run a small press, and here is how I deal with sales tax -- I don't collect it, I just pay it.

Only in-state sales are taxed, and almost all of my sales are out of state, and so when the sales tax form comes, I just pay it out of my own pocket. It usually doesn't amount to more than $25, and it is worth that not to have to fool will the paperwork.

You state may be different.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I think that's a good idea. I was playing with that idea myself. I don't expect many in-state sales, either and it wouldn't be a big deal to have take a 6% hit on in-state sales.

The thing is, in my state I have to register my business in order to collect and pay sales tax and I'm trying to figure out the implications of doing that.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I am also looking into selling signed copies on my web site. This would be cheaper since you wouldn't have to pay to have it shipped both ways.

It'd be worth it to sed it there and back, to have a personal signing: To Inarticulate Babbler, keep on being a Hatrack pain in the @$$.

Or something.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Note to Rick Norwood: Back in the 1970s, I knew some guys who ran a pizza place in New York State, who did just that with sales tax, and got into terrible legal trouble because of it. Doubtless their gross income was higher than that, but...beware...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I figured it out!

You may be right about the state not being happy about bundling the sales tax on in-state items. I'll just have to work out a conditional and charge sales tax for Kansas residents.

Now I just need to set up my web page to handle orders.

Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Congrats!
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you do what Robert Sawyer does and set up your own e-bay store?

http://stores.ebay.com/Robert-J-Sawyer-Books

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Or do the sales through the Amazon used section, (of course since you've already figured it out, no worries.) Lookin' forward to it.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I'm not sure about e-bay, but I looked into amazon's marketplace and they want a $1 transaction fee plus 15% on each purchase. I'm really hoping to keep the price down.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's pretty steep. I guess it is better run though your personal site.

Make sure to give the heads up when it's ready for that.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited November 17, 2007).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.