Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » My first pro-rate sale!

Author Topic: My first pro-rate sale!
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out I have made a sale to 'Postcards from...' for a story I posted here called 'Our World'.
I submitted it to 'Flash Fiction Online' but it was rejected, but then I changed the ending (changing the vampire to alien!) and it sold to the next people I submitted it to.

'Postcards from...' pay 5 cents a word, but I am unsure how to check if the are a SFWA official pro-market. Anyone know?

Thanks for everyones help with this story esp. JeanneT.

Adam

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! That's so cool! As for the SFWA question, check out their Web site--I believe they have a list of accepted publications.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks Annepin,

I checked the SFWA site...unfortunately it's not on their (extremely short) list of acceptable publications! Curses...

Adam

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I've always been suspicious as to how often they update that list. It might be worth inquiring (or enquiring, to you Brits), especially if it's a new mag.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Adam! FFO has an ecclectic group of slush readers; nobody has had a story get %100 approval. Nobody.

Anne:

quote:

Short fiction sold to the following markets are considered qualified (list last updated 08/09/07):

Any anthology published by a qualified novel publisher listed above
Analog Science Fiction and Fact
Asimov's Science Fiction
Baen's Universe
Brutarian
Cemetery Dance
Chizine
Cosmos
Dark Wisdom
Dragon
The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction
Odyssey - Adventures in Science
Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
Pedestal Magazine
Realms of Fantasy
Strange Horizons
Subterranean Magazine
Writers of the Future Anthology

SF/F/H short fiction sold to non-genre or primarily non-fiction magazines that meet the requirements below, such as The New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly, Boy's Life, Starlog, Star Wars Gamer, Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, etc., and these, which have been asked about and specifically determined to meet the criteria: Cicada, Cricket, Nature, Nerve.com

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks IB. I am relatively immune to rejection now--in that I expect rejection but am delightfully surprised by acceptances.

The feedback I got from Flash-Fiction Online was good. Vampires are overly used, so I merely changed the location of his teeth to elsewhere on the MC's body--et voila, an alien!

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Postcards from... may be so new to the market that SFWA doesn't yet accredit it, or it may not have the numbers of regular hits that it needs (if it's an ezine), or it may not only pay pro rates. There's a few ways that it can pay a pro rate and not be included.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited February 12, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Er... thanks, IB. I must have missed that <sheepish smile>.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Anne, I just thought I'd ease your mind...

Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Adam!

It's funny... I just submitted a story to Postcards from... today. It's a small, small world (but I wouldn't want to paint it).

Great job,

Thane

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Good luck with that, Thane.

Adam

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Postcards from Hell used to be a big deal. A lack of funds sank them about a year ago. They are now back and paying a nickle a word. (your story needs to be short).
The SFWA title confounds me. Cemetery Dance pays 3 cents a word but they're SFWA qualified. Clarkesworld pays 10 cents a word but doesn't. I wonder what the critrea is other than money.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Circulation is the other main criteria for SFWA qualification.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a longevity factor. Clarkesworld isn't very old. Also, somebody has to ask for a given market to be included.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure it will be the first of many.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
In order to qualify as SFWA pro, a market needs to pay 5c a word but the story needs to have earned a 50$ minimum. That means that if you sell a 500 word story at 5c/word for a total 25$, that story won't qualify for SFWA even if the market does qualify. That said, since Postcards... publishes flash fiction only, I really don't see how they could be a pro market, since none of the stories they buy will qualify writers for SFWA pro status.

I doubt Cemetery Dance pays 3c a word. It just says that on the only the only website where you can find info because they haven't bothered to update in a long time OR they are on their way to stop being a qualifying market (SFWA gives mags time to fix things before rescinding their qualifying status)

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to Andrew Burt about this, and the discussion made it clear that some types of flash-only markets can be pro, but only some types. Naturally, since I want to be considered pro by the SFWA, I adopted the necessary guidelines.

Flash Fiction Online now pays $50 / story regardless of length, which, since we max out at 1,000 words, puts our minimum at $.05 / word. At the same time, we changed our minimum length to 500 words, so we max out at $.10. I'm going back to all of our previous authors to bring their pay up to $50. By doing that, we should be able to be considered a pro market by December (our 1-year anniversary), at which point it should be retroactive to our first issue.

Unless they pay insanely high per-word rates, it's unlikely that flash markets will be able to be certified pro while publishing smaller work.

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited April 22, 2008).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.