Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » First e-published novel!

Author Topic: First e-published novel!
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did it. I put some stories up last summer to start as an experiment and then, when they were selling even without me doing anything, put up some stories actually under my published name (Annie Bellet). Those have been selling a bit, too.

So I took the plunge and am putting out a novel (with the second book to follow this summer, though this one stands on its own just fine). It's a fantasy novel, set in a re-imagined ancient Wales (have to put my college degrees to some kind of use, right?).

Info about it is here at my blog: http://overactive.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/first-e-published-novel/

Thanks

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on taking the plunge!

Sounds interesting.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad at all. Congrats, but who is doing it? Just through Amazon?

Sounds interesting...if I ever buy an e-reader I will buy a copy. Obviously I could get one now but I don't like reading at my computer. It takes up my writing time.
And even though that sounds funny, I'm so close to buying one, the only thing keeping me from it is having to use my workshop money.

Keep us posted here how your book does.

And nice Blog, maybe I will make mine darker, if I ever can find time to redo it.

And I didn't know Jim Butcher was on livejournal, I missed something somewhere while searching him out. I knew he had some writing posts on the forum section of the Official site but I can't get on that forum.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

Thanks, guys

It's available in pretty much all formats, LDwriter. Amazon is being slow to upload at the moment (the page is there, but the price isn't showing up even though it says it is "live" so I'm going to give them another day and then email support). A print version will be available sometime soon (as soon as I figure out the formatting etc).

The next fun part is sending out review copies. Doom! But if I didn't feel confident in the book, I wouldn't have posted it for sale, so it hopefully won't be too doomful.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I forgot to ask. That's a nice cover how did you do it? Various pros have said that the cover is very important in indie publishing but I haven't seen an explanation on how one does covers. Seems like Smashwords, or another one, had some basic covers or art work you could use to make your own covers and I saw an ad for a site that will make custom covers but that costs.

I really want to put up some stories, probably in sets, and I will most probably have to sacrifice a weekend to go over them with a fine tooth comb to find most of the nitpicks but after I do I will need covers.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

My covers are done by a friend of mine who is very good with photoshop. We collaborate on covers. He's willing to do work for other people on a case by case basis, but he does charge for it (35 plus the cost of whatever rights needed for images used if any).

You can do a decent cover yourself, but you need a good graphics program and a bit of know-how. I, personally, would suck at it, which is why I enlisted someone else

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I probably wouldn't be very good either. My artistic sense is lacking unless I do wild art.

But if that was $35, that would a lot less than that other company I referenced.

Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Izanobu: very cool. You're website is very professional. And I am most impressed by your writing goals -- you did well last year.

@LDWriter2:

quote:
And nice Blog, maybe I will make mine darker, if I ever can find time to redo it.

That made me laugh. Not sure if you are talking about the darkness of your background color or a recent trend toward darker subject matter.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
izanobu, that's so exciting!! The cover looks incredibly professional, and the blurb reads that way, too.

Good luck on the reviews...I'm betting that's even more nerve-wracking than submitting stories to magazines and waiting to hear back. :-)

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, keep us informed on how it does. I don't have an e-reader, but I do have the Kindle App on my Android. Perhaps I will snag a copy when the buy button works. Or, when the paper copy is ready (nothing beats a book in hand).
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And did you have help with the copy editing? I would need an outside help with that--outside of myself that is-- I never find even nearly all of my mistakes.
izanobu
Member # 9314

My book was professionally copy edited. I'm dyslexic, so I definitely don't trust myself to do a full novel (I have first readers do my short stories for me). Any book I release will go through professional copy editing. No question. It's worth it.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some people who'd like covers done. Can you email me with some contact details of the person, I can probably sling some work their way!
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

emailed you.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Can I ask how much the pro copy editing costs?
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with this!!
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.