Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Blood of the Land

Author Topic: Blood of the Land
Wonderbus
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for Wonderbus   Email Wonderbus         Edit/Delete Post 
This was the book I was working on with the nice guys here in the WCE group a couple of months back. I finally finished it and have published it on Amazon.

Blood of the Land

It's a dark fantasy where I tried not to hold the reader's hand too much and not have any clear-cut goodies and baddies. Whenever I say that, people immediately think GRRM, though it's not like those books. If only it were as good.

Anyway, as well as those nice blokes in the WCE group, quite a few others here have helped with this. Big thanks especially to History who read a third of the book and has an amazing editorial eye, he was a big help with this.

[ January 08, 2012, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Wonderbus ]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Wonderbus.

I got to peek at (and critique) the enticing first third, and then had to wait many moons (how many does the world of the Keepers have?) but now...

Purchased my copy and look forward to enjoying the rest of the story.

Though it is "volume one" of FROM THE SEA, FROM THE EARTH.

Actually, based on what I've read to date, I can understand the comparison to GRRM; but don't make me wait six years until the next volume, or I will have to fly across the pond and hurt you (I'll read you Vogon poetry or, worse, some of my own). [Wink]

Respectfully,
Dr.Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice cover, Wonderbus. Bought it or made it?
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Very awesome! Congratulations!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonderbus
Member # 9494

Thanks all.

Dr Bob - Thanks for getting a copy, I'm glad that you aren't so sick of it by now that you could never read another word. And six years? If you take a peek at the end you'll see the cover for the sequel with the prediction that it will arrive by this "summer". Nothing like putting myself under pressure [Wink]

Martin - The cover is by Steve Criado. You can see more of his stuff at http://stevecriado.deviantart.com/

Posts: 70 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Wonderbus.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuziQ
Member # 9730

- posted      Profile for SuziQ   Email SuziQ         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Wonderbus! That's excellent.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Only part way through this but if you haven't checked this out, you need to.

I am rarely effusive in my praise, but BLOOD OF THE LAND is extraordinary well written.
This is the quality of wordcraft I aspire to.
Buy it for this reason alone. Now.

I'm curious if Wonderbus can hold on to the reins of this epic narrative, beyond the masterful prose. I'll comment when I finish.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
He's always been like that.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonderbus
Member # 9494

Thanks everyone.

And thanks for the kind words, History. It means a lot [Smile]

Wonderbus
Member # 9494

To help the promote the book, I've put an anthology I put together from some of my short stories that have been in mags and anthos from the past three or four years up for free for the next five days.

Only went free earlier today but it's been flying already. If anybody wants to download it while it's free, they can get it here

History
Member # 9213

Well, I would have paid for it (as I promised).
I should finish BLOOD OF THE LAND today or tomorrow.

The narrative (predominately character-driven in multiple POVs; religion and politics; the slow but steady unwinding of the conflict) is reminiscent of Brandon Sanderson (whose THE WAY OF KINGS audio book I've just completed), and of GRRM and Stephen Erikson.

You are a master of metaphor, btw--and (if I recall the first draft I read) by cutting back on them, you've strengthened the remainder. I marveled at a number of them. E.g. A dungeon in torchlight..."Chains black and bright as the hide of an ell hung from the wall at irregular intervals." Great stuff, Martin.

There are about a dozen proofread errors, but far less than most indie-published books I've read.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Wonderbus
Member # 9494

Thanks Dr Bob,

I'm glad/amazed that you're gonna make it to the end [Smile]

This was my first ever novel and as I got near the end I started panicking--how do you keep someone with you for such a long book??!! It can be hard enough keeping the reader's interest for a 3k short, but 166k? Anyway, glad to see at least one reader has managed to slog their way through it.

History
Member # 9213

Don't be so self-deprecating.
That's too Jewish (and my shtick [Wink] ).

Anyway, I've completed BLOOD OF THE LAND.
The quality of the writing, as I have shared, is admirable--even enviable. For me, I enjoyed this the most.

The comparison to GRRM and Brandon Sanderson proved apt. The story is large in scope with a multitude of interesting characters caught up in the play among powers far greater than themselves--yet they prove to be potential catalysts that may determine the future of their entire world (at least those characters who survive).

Is it a perfect work in my humble (and unimportant) opinion? No. But very very impressive. I'm glad to have read it. And I believe anyone here at Hatrack who writes (or likes) epic fantasy should read it. I'll share more details with you by email.

I look forward to book 2, BLOOD OF THE GODS.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Name rings a bell, did I look any part of it over?

But that was quick once you finished it, I got two novels sitting there while I try to find time to finish revising them.

And Congrats, keep us posted on sells.

And Niiice cover. Very professional looking.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonderbus
Member # 9494

Yeah you did, LD. This was my book in the WCE group here.

And thanks Dr Bob, I'd like to write the perfect book one day, but for now I'm more than happy with very very impressive [Smile]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Is that the one with the Sea and something that was suppose to happen so they had patrols watching the sea? And something bad happened during one patrol.

Don't want to give away a too big spoiler there.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonderbus
Member # 9494

Yeah, that's the one. It was called From the Sea, Frpm the Earth in the group but now that's the title of the trilogy as a whole.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Definitely need to get it than.

As I recall your writing was good

Still like to know how you got it ready so fast, (Sigh) I need a month off from work or a month and a half of doing nothing but revising two novels.

Wonderbus
Member # 9494

Thanks for the compliment. And yeah, it isn't easy with three young kids to find the time--I get up at 4am every single day just to write.

One thing I do do though, don't know if everybody else does, is edit a chapter at least twice as soon as I finish it before moving on to the next one. That seemed to cut down on editing time once the book was finished. Obviously in such a big book, you could spend forever going over and over it time and again but you have to weigh that against wanting to get on with the next one.

I think people do write differently though. Some rush through the first draft and skip place-holding scenes just to get the story down, I try to write the first draft as well as I can and edit as I go to save time at the end.

Having said that, it still took me about 8 months or so to write the thing so it certainly didn't feel fast [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.