Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » "Catch a Fallen Star" to Fireside Magazine

Author Topic: "Catch a Fallen Star" to Fireside Magazine
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sold my WotF semi "Catch a Fallen Star" to Fireside Magazine, which will be my second pro publication. Fireside publishes quarterly, and I'm told my story will be in issue four, five or six.

I found out the same day as my Fireside sale that Every Day Fiction will publish my science-fiction flash "Caged," probably next month.

Two acceptances in one day = a really good day.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Jennifer! Well deserved.
Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this on G+. Congrats!
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that is great! Very happy for you.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
A double mazel tov! That's wonderful!
Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, forgot to mention my congratifications here.

So - yay!

Remember folks, this mag is funded through Kickstarter, so let's support Jennifer and others by kicking in enough $ to buy yourself a copy.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for mentioning that, Dustin. This is an awesome magazine that for issue No. 3 (not the one my story will be in) is publishing stories by Mary Robinette Kowal, Daniel Abraham and Elizabeth Bear. And it looks like the Kickstarter campaign to fund the issue could use a kick, so to speak. For a $9 contribution, you get digital versions of all three issues so far, which is less than if you paid for them straight on Amazon. For $10, you get a printed copy of issue No. 3.

Obviously, I have a personal stake in seeing Fireside succeed, but I'd contribute even if they hadn't accepted my story. We need more pro venues like this one. So, please go contribute.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

An update: Fireside is going big with a Kickstarter to fund an entire year of the magazine -- the equivalent of an annual donation drive at some other pro-paying markets. If the Kickstarter is successful, they'll relaunch in July with monthly issues. And yes, one of those issues will include my story.

This is actually one of two Kickstarter projects that I have stories involved in right now. The other is for Raygun Chronicles: Space Opera for a New Age, which is an anthology of the best of Ray Gun Revival and stories from pro writers like Mike Resnick, Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dean Wesley Smith.

(Sidenote: The editor for Fireside is Brian, and the editor for Raygun Chronicles is Bryan, and I have to work hard to not get mixed up in my e-mails. [Smile] )

babygears81
Member # 9745

- posted      Profile for babygears81   Email babygears81         Edit/Delete Post 
Who said you can't have your cake and eat it too? Congrats!
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

It was a long road from acceptance to publication (14 months), but it's finally come: Publication Day! If you want to read the story, be aware that Fireside is behind a paywall, but a subscription is well worth the price. Also you can buy individual issues. And ... yeah! Publication!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.