Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Smashwords fan

Author Topic: Smashwords fan
KellyTharp
Member # 9997

- posted      Profile for KellyTharp   Email KellyTharp         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on Smashword with my sci fi novels: "The Protectorit" (Bk 1) and "For the Honor of Black Roses" (Bk 2) and I put up a short paranormal romance "Time Isn't Enough" as a practice in brevity. Have been very pleased with Smashwords and had over 200 downloads all together. Just uploaded to Amazon in August and sold a few (one in England yet!) Would still like to see it in print so trying to check out small presses. Any recommendations anyone? Bk 3 "For the Honor of Red Irises" is in the works. Glad to know others here are Smashwords people too.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
My magazine, Plasma Frequency distributes it's electronic issues through Smashwords. For the most part I don't mind Smashwords, but I have had many issues with their "meat-grinder" ebook builder. I've still yet to find out what logic it uses when it does things such as add multiple "a" for no real reason.

In any case, check out the "Markets for our Writing" section. I know a lot of short fiction markets are listed there, but there might be some small presses listed there too. Which reminds me, I should list mine there.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyTharp
Member # 9997

- posted      Profile for KellyTharp   Email KellyTharp         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks EVOC. And, yes, I too found Smashwords formating most daunting. But when I uploaded it was please it took my script the first time. However, you are correct that their meatgrinder does really wonky things to your words at time. I kept getting a word with #*!## between it or some such thing. Really strange. Plus, I would have liked to use a special font for a mechanical speech in one part of my book and only got to use italics, which I had already used for my telepathy. Overall, still happy with Smashwords. It was recommended to me by Dean Weasley Smith, who lives here in Oregon and teachs some really good courses.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Smashwords had no trouble with my novella. Sorry to say, I only had 42 test downloads so far and 5 purchases but since it is my only uploaded story I can't really complain.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyTharp
Member # 9997

Be patient padawan. It takes time with Smashwords. The most difficult thing is getting people to write you reviews as that is what places your story in the front of the search engines when people push sci fi, short/long, highest rated. Think Amazon works the same way. We E-book people need to find a way to publish our works Local bookstores and newpapers sure don't seen to be interested. Ah...a new job!
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
There is (theoretically at least) an e-pub support group here.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rcmann:
There is (theoretically at least) an e-pub support group here.

Still here as far as I'm concerned. Everyone just got busy with the holidays. I know I did.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

I hear you. My spouse just totaled our car two days ago.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin have you placed it with anyone else? I think Barnes and Noble has an online story section and Amazon did have a section that didn't require you to just post with them--don't know if they still do.

I don't if there are any other online sites like those but it couldn't hurt to put up a story in more than one place.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
I hear you. My spouse just totaled our car two days ago.

Ouch!

Anyone hurt?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

Not to speak of, just shook up. Thanks for asking.

Smashwords automatically places your story with B&E, Apple, Kobo, Sony, Diesel, and a few others. Unless you opt out of course. You have the option of telling them not to do that, and placing your stories directly if you prefer.

Personally, I don't see the point of going to the extra effort. my stories are up on Apple and B&E just as well as if I had put them there myself, and I only had to post them once. I have too many stories underway to spend more time than I must on posting. Doing my own cover art is challenging enough.

You can even.. sort of... have Smashwords post on Amazon for you... kind of. Maybe.

MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I put my novella on Smashwords and Amazon. I checked B&N, Kobo, Sony and Apple store and they all have it, distributed by Smashwords. I did try to make an account in B&N but they wanted me to have a US bank account.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

I did B&N once. That was enough. I do Smashwords and let them take care of B&N. I do Amazon separately because that's the BIGGEST market and it's one you can only hope Smashwords will reach for you. Frankly, after you've formatted for Smashwords, Amazon is a piece of cake.

I haven't (to my knowledge) had any formatting issues with Smashwords that weren't traceable to my original file--and fixable by editing that file and re-uploading.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Smashwords automatically places your story with B&E, Apple, Kobo, Sony, Diesel, and a few others. Unless you opt out of course. You have the option of telling them not to do that, and placing your stories directly if you prefer.

I forgot about that detail. I checked them out since I have two stories-for now- I want to put up there. I need to get to looking for cover pics though. I tried a couple of times, didn't find any free ones I wanted but now I keep forgetting to look. Too busy with two novels and WotF.
rcmann
Member # 9757

quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
I forgot about that detail. I checked them out since I have two stories-for now- I want to put up there. I need to get to looking for cover pics though. I tried a couple of times, didn't find any free ones I wanted but now I keep forgetting to look. Too busy with two novels and WotF. [/QB]

Per Heinlein (not an exact quote, the gist):

-Write.

-Finish it.

-Don't keep tinkering with it. Don't re-write anything unless somebody offers to buy it after the re-write.

-Put it out there.

-Keep it out there until it sells.

Simple enough.

Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
quote:

I forgot about that detail. I checked them out since I have two stories-for now- I want to put up there. I need to get to looking for cover pics though. I tried a couple of times, didn't find any free ones I wanted but now I keep forgetting to look. Too busy with two novels and WotF.
Look at Dreamstime and Kozzi. Both have free images and some that are not very expensive. (I paid $17 for the image I used as the basis for the new cover of BLOOD WILL TELL. For that, I get up to 10,000 copies. I'm in no danger of getting close to that unless I figure out some marketing.)

You have to let yourself think a little outside the box when you're looking for free or cheap images. Sometimes, the first thing you think of just isn't available, but something else that will work just as well is.

Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
quote:

-Write.

-Finish it.

-Don't keep tinkering with it. Don't re-write anything unless somebody offers to buy it after the re-write.

-Put it out there.

Simple enough. [/QB]

Everybody's process is different. Very few of us can write a first draft that's good to go. Maybe Heinlein could. My first drafts are pretty clean, but there are always a few things I need to add or revise--sometimes a lot of things--to make the story the way I want it. Not to mention getting--and applying--reader feedback before publishing.
rcmann
Member # 9757

I don't think he meant that you shouldn't make sure it was actually finished, and finished properly, before it was sent out. I think he was talking about people, like I used to do, who are constantly tinkering with something instead of letting it go and moving on to another story. That's my impression anyway.
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
I don't think he meant that you shouldn't make sure it was actually finished, and finished properly, before it was sent out. I think he was talking about people, like I used to do, who are constantly tinkering with something instead of letting it go and moving on to another story. That's my impression anyway.

LOL. Yeah. I used to do that with beginnings. Rework the same 5, 10, 25, or 50 pages over and over again. That's why my first drafts are all only one way. Forward. No going back until AFTER I reach "The End."
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Meredith:
quote:

Look at Dreamstime and Kozzi. Both have free images and some that are not very expensive. (I paid $17 for the image I used as the basis for the new cover of BLOOD WILL TELL. For that, I get up to 10,000 copies. I'm in no danger of getting close to that unless I figure out some marketing.)

You have to let yourself think a little outside the box when you're looking for free or cheap images. Sometimes, the first thing you think of just isn't available, but something else that will work just as well is. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will remember those names. And for one story I have two different pics of drawings I'm looking for. I would take either one.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Meredith:
quote:
quote:

-Write.

-Finish it.

-Put it out there.

Simple enough.

Everybody's process is different. Very few of us can write a first draft that's good to go. Maybe Heinlein could. My first drafts are pretty clean, but there are always a few things I need to add or revise--sometimes a lot of things--to make the story the way I want it. Not to mention getting--and applying--reader feedback before publishing. [/QB]
It's more than just Heinlein, there are a few pros that follow those laws and some starting writers. But at the same time you have a point about people being different. I know my most successful stories have all been three or under revisions, with the possible exception of one. Not that that is saying much but a few stories have done a little better than others.

A lot of beginning writers do revise and revise then revise some more. But they usually don't know what makes a story good so they end up destroying their voice.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Smashwords for general distribution, but I opt out for Amazon and B&N. It's simple enough to do and Amazon and B&N have their own conversion software. So for a few extra minutes, you can get a few cents more in royalties.

B&N's publishing arm is called Pubit. For the rest, Smashwords distribution gets you out there, but it doesn't help you get it sold.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

This involves more than Smashwords but Dean Wesley Smith has out four chapters of his "Think Like A Publisher" book.

Indie

It can help you see what you can do as an Indie publisher.

KellyTharp
Member # 9997

I did my own covers via Smashwords formating. Used Xara Photo and Graphics program as it's really easy to learn and you can export your picture in jpeg. Amazon's covers were a bit more difficult due to their pixel size requirement. The sci fi covers were some effort but turned out okay, the romance once was also. My second romance however is driving me nuts and I may have to farm it out. If you're interested my three covers are here ... http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/KTharp The covers look better when enlarged and are really quite simple to do, though it took my scanner, copier, printer, to get it all together.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.