Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Silver Dagger is up at Smashwords

Author Topic: Silver Dagger is up at Smashwords
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
My first novel, approx. 80k words. Currently part of a site promotion with a half off coupon available. Anyone from Hatrack that wants a copy, just le tme know and I'll give you a coupon for a free one.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I'll have to check it out (as soon as I'm out from under a pile of critiques.)
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel tov, RC.
Can you provide a link?

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

Surely. But first a note. I have learned a priceless lesson. Two in fact, and both of them are about trusting my own judgment.

My original title for the book was "Wildered". It's a fine old word, dates back half a millenium at least and perhaps longer. Root word for bewildered, among others.

However, both of my editors assured me that no one on earth outside of an English department would have a clue what it was. So I pondered and came up with an alternative. The main female protagonist is a fire witch, and she uses a silver dagger instead of a wand. In modern Wicca this knife is called an athame, and is traditionally associated with fire.

So I made the new title "Athame".

Not so fast. Same argument from both editors, with even more impatience. Nobody would know what it was. The complaint was coming at me from both directions, via voice and email. It was late. i was tired and I just wanted to upload the file and go to bed. So I switched it to "Silver Dagger".

The next day, *after* I had uploaded it, I checked and found the list of books with the words silver dagger in the title to be as long as your... whatever.

I said to hell with it, changed the name back to Athame, and re-uploaded the file. The kind of audience I am writing for in this book would know what an athame is. Anyone who doesn't, isn't likely to be the kind of person who reads epic fantasy.

First lesson, find an editor who reads the kind of book you are writing, and understands the audience you are targeting. Second lesson, never let someone else overrule your own gut.

Now, to answer your question and apologize for taking so long, here's the link:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/293364

Anyone from Hatrack that wants a copy is welcome to one. Just let me know. Coupon # ZC55F will get a free copy. Reviews appreciated but not expected.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!! =)
Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Got it. And I'll review it when I get the chance to read it.

*Now back to the stack of crits I owe. *

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

Thank you.
Bruchar
Member # 10027

- posted      Profile for Bruchar   Email Bruchar         Edit/Delete Post 
rcmann,
Congratulations on getting your book out there, and thanks for the coupon code -- that's very generous. I downloaded a kindle version & look forward to "cracking it open" soon!

Posts: 39 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

I hope you like it. Either way, I look forward to hearing your opinion.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I snagged a copy. Thanks! I'll try to get a review up when I'm done.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

Gratitude. It's also posted on Amazon and on Goodreads, if anyone likes those sites better than Smashwords.

Unless it truly bites. In which case, oh well.

Modified version of cover art requires new coupon:

XB34X

If anyone mistakenly got charged, just return it and take a new copy (I think that will work).

[ March 19, 2013, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: rcmann ]

wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on getting your novel published. I just got a copy, and I'll be happy to review it once I've finished.
Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.