Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Daily Science Fiction needs you!

Author Topic: Daily Science Fiction needs you!
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Quiz time: What professional publication has published the most Hatrack members works?

If you said [I]Daily Science Fiction[/I*, then I'm betting you got your answer from the heading of this thread.

Actually, I don't know, but I do know DSF has published a lot from present and past members of hatrack, so I'm say Daily SF it is (and I will leave it up to you to prove me wrong). What is true is, at 260ish published stories a year, DSF publishes more than another other publication by a wide margin. It's 8 cents a word for publication rights, beats most of the big boys in the sci-fi and fantasy genre. It has a membership that reaches 7000+ subscribers. It has offered its stories for free and has openly encouraged all to submit to them, and has paid it all out of pocket.

DSF is unique because it has never charged its subscribers a penny. Nor has it sold advertisement space on its webpage. Members will attest that a subscription does not mean junk mail will be flooding your inbox. The editors have been completely on the up-and-up. The editors have been a generous pair for years, but now they could a little help.

I recall when the publication first emerged on the scene, more than a few scoffed at them because they believed their business model (which they have never shared with the public) made their publication unsustainable. That was three years ago, and a good million words in print. They've done it on their own but their well has starting to run dry.

The Editor are asking for a little help. They have opened a call for donations through a kickstart campaign. I am asking you all to please not give that five dollars to the man holding a gas can and begging you for whatever you can spare because his wife and baby are stranded on the side of the road and they are just trying to get home, three states away, but instead use that money to support our genre. And here are two reasons why...

1) Daily SF is your best shot at making a pro sale.

It's not your only one, lots of fine publications out there that has debut the first time works of an author, but, over the past three years, DSF has beat them all combined. In fact, I'd say a half dozen hatrack members have made their first sale through them. This is not to say that they are easy, but it is a testament that they are fair.

2) Support the industry.

You want to get paid for your work, right? How often do you pay for fresh and new fiction? I bet their are couple out their that haven't in a long time.

So go to it. Help them pass their goal, quickly. Be a good sport, and give.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

bumping this up because it is too important for you to ignore!
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
So true! Excellent publication!
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure.
Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

They still need you. They're getting closer to their goal but time is running out. The way Kickstart works, if they don't meet their goal, all the donations go back to the donator.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.