Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Natural Police

Author Topic: Natural Police
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
So, the novel is in its last 6 to 8 week of deliberations before this publisher decides to green-light it or not. Two months of nail biting commences today.
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Thanks!
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, man. Good luck.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Thanks!
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, and good luck. It's what most here hope to get to.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

17 years and five novels to reach this point. I suppose better late than never.

Thanks!

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Hard work and persistence!
Mazel tov.

Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sylvia Frost
Member # 10292

- posted      Profile for Sylvia Frost   Email Sylvia Frost         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Thanks! This is week 2, in which no news is good news.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. I suggest in lieu of nail-biting you work on something new. Forget about the other and write. You'll be so far along into your next project, the news will come as if in surprise, much quicker than you would've thought, because you will won't be *waiting* on it. And, no matter what the response, you'll need to write another anyway.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

quote:
Forget about the other and write.
Though a rejection is possible, at the moment I'm saving up my words for the grueling work of what I suspect the editing process will be just in case I get an acceptance letter. Kind of like Goku powering up before a big fight. So yeah, no starting new projects at the moment no matter their word count.

At the same time, I've begun learning Korean, and one of the homework assignments is to write dialogs using the language you've learned. This is a fascinating process for me. Right now it's all simple, and my writings remind me of what I used to craft in spiral notepads back in elementary school. But I'm eager to see if I'll actually be able to capture some type of poetry in the language. Their sentence construction is madness, and unlike English, you can read an entire a page of writing and almost never see a pronoun. And it would still make perfect sense.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to start something new. Once they give you a green light, you're on their time schedule, not yours. You can always set aside WIP to edit.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Thanks for the advice! This is nearing the end of week 3, where no news is still good news in my opinion (knocking on wood just in case I get a rejection on Friday). Either way, in a way, I have started something new in the form of a very simple play in Korean.

가: 안녕하십니까? 누구가 입니다?
나: 안 사람. 사람 안입니다.

Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice. Congratulations on learning Korean. A wonderful language. I never learned to write it but had a year of forced immersion while serving in South Korea. I can hear the gentle jingles of jealousy in my head. [Big Grin]
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Haha, 반갑습니다! 네, 연세대학교에 하국말을 공부합니다. I'm taking classes at Yonsei, and it's coming along pretty well. Still quite a few mistakes, but I'm cleaning them up over time. I just wished I had opted for a English/Korean keyboard when I brought my Mac three years ago. The way I have to write it now is kind of a pain in the a**.

I'm guessing you were stationed in Itaewon? I had a friend stationed there for a couple of years before he went to Iraq. It's been a while ago now, probably ten or more years ago.

Denevius
Member # 9682

Eight weeks in. I sent them a query in the sixth week to see if there was a status update, and the Acquisition Editor and Reader said they're still evaluating the novel. Hopefully that's a good sign.
Denevius
Member # 9682

For those interested in the timeline of events for me regarding a traditional route to publishing, I submitted the first three chapters of NATURAL POLICE, or about 9000 words, for consideration of publication on October 1st, 2014. On January 15th, 2015, I got a relatively short email asking me to send the entire manuscript, as well as any questions I might have.

I didn't want to waste their time with a query. I was also tempted to read through the entire manuscript again in hopes of tightening the narrative further. I decided against this for a practical reason - it would have taken too long. I don't know if they would prefer me send the manuscript along immediately, or if they'd care if a week passes. But a gut feeling told me that it was best to send along the novel posthaste.

It was somewhat bad timing, honestly, because two weeks prior to this, I'd spilled coke on my Macbook, losing the *most* recent draft of the novel (as well as the hard drive). I'd had one that was last saved to Google three months prior, but I'm always making small changes to the prose, and I would have preferred the absolute most recent draft forwarded to them. Plus, I had just changed one of the central character's names, and I wasn't sure if Word had correctly 'Changed all' when I attempted to do so on the version I was sending them.

There was nothing to be done, though, and so along I sent it.

In the email, they said it would take six to eight weeks to make a decision to accept or reject the manuscript. At exactly the sixth week, February 26th, 2015, I sent them a short query asking for an update. I was hesitant about this as I didn't want them to think I was impatient, but at the same time, and after years of rejections, I know that it usually doesn't take that long for publishers to decide they don't want to publish your writing. Six weeks for no communication, in my view, seemed a professional amount of time to query them about the novel's status.

The same woman who sent me the first letter sent me a short response saying that the novel was still under review...

She added the ellipsis. At week eight, honestly, I was leaning more towards an acceptance letter over a rejection letter. I've been doing this for so long, and always before it simply seems to take little time for publishers to reject writing. They're busy, they work with minimal staff to save costs, they have other books and other authors to work with. Time is money in this business, as in all businesses, and I simply didn't see them wasting so much time on something they didn't plan on publishing.

Anyway, this was my calculus. On March 27th, I had a late night out meeting friends and drinking on a five day trip to the island where I'd lived for five years before moving to Seoul. I woke up in the afternoon slightly hungover and, as I do every morning for the past nine weeks, I immediately checked my email. I'd gotten a response from them.

NATURAL POLICE had passed the second review and has now gone on to the final editor for its final read through. That person would contact me directly with their final decision.

It's been an interesting, thought-proving nine weeks. Honestly, when I sent the novel off in early October, I simply expected a rejection, so for those three and a half months I didn't think about it at all. Now, I feel like a professional gambler who has finally come to *that* day where I've won more hands than I've lost. Dusk has fallen, evening is coming to an end, and I'm on my last hand where I can double my earnings or lose it all. My cards are better than they've even been, but until I lay it all on the table, I know I can lose as easily as I can win.

The seconds stretch on. And on, and on.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

Rooting for you, man.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Thanks Wetwilly. Actually, I just got the email. NATURAL POLICE sold. In the next couple of days I'm getting the contract to go over. Hopefully all of this goes well.

Thanks all who commented on the openings and chapters over the years!

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, and congrats. Deep breath and check the heart rate.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

High five!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Congratulations!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
That is great, Denevius. Getting it actually into print is the next part of the adventure. Enjoy as much as you can.

And may there be many more such adventures for you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Thanks for the well wishes! I'll update here periodically.

Thanks again for the help in getting the narrative here!

rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Denevius! That's fabulous!
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel tov!
Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!! =)
Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

Thanks all!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, you will be telling us when we can buy a copy, won't you?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

An initial completed edit is due in August, and I suspect they'll be another after that. I'm expecting the novel to be available to purchase late this year or early next year. But yeah, I'll drop a message here when the release date is.
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo! Congratulations!

Don't forget to ask for free copies so you can give all of us one. [Big Grin]

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telflonmail
Member # 9501

- posted      Profile for telflonmail   Email telflonmail         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.

Sequel!

Posts: 116 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sétanta
Member # 10421

- posted      Profile for Sétanta   Email Sétanta         Edit/Delete Post 
Very inspiring!!! Is the first bit of Natural Police still on Hatrack somewhere where I can see? Or must I, like the rest of the world, wait for it to come out in print? ; ) Congratulations!
Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
See Book Fragments, topic starter Denevius, Natural Police Chapter 1, April 5, 2013 through Chapter 21, May 5, 2014. Posts older than Last Year default can be viewed if Show All Posts is selected from a forum index page.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

I think the key to a professional months long edit is that if you aren't completely sick of your novel towards the end of the editing process, you and your editor have probably done something wrong.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Is "Natural Police" about to drop any time soon?
Denevius
Member # 9682

Probably another two months of editing, then three to six months of typesetting, technical editing, novel design. I got an email the other day that placed an estimated physical book being available for purchase about 10 months from now. So maybe October of this year?

I've started the sequel, tentatively titled Gwi'Shin. Wrote the first 20 paged narrative that's basically world building.

These last several months haven't exactly been fun, but they have been extremely fulfilling. There's a general/genuine sense that I'm actually "doing it".

Denevius
Member # 9682

I recently joined the Horror Writer's Association, hoping to get "Natural Police" nominated for the Bram Stoker's Award in 2017.

Anyone else belong to the HWA? Or other associations? I'm also working on joining the SFWA.

Meredith
Member # 8368

SFWA
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Associated Writers Program. The flagship publication of the organization is The Writers Chronicle. The other raison d'etre of the organization is writing program accreditation and standards advocacy. AWP hosts annual writers' conferences, too.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

HWA has their annual writing conference coming up, which of course I can't make. Probably will be very helpful in learning the best strategy of getting your novel nominated.

One thing I've seen the members who put their book up for nomination do is offer free PDFs or digital version of their actual completed novel to members. So far not one author hasn't done this, but it seems so risky. Once a clean copy of your novel gets online, it can really cut into your sales.

Denevius
Member # 9682

I'm on the second, and I think final, round of edits for NATURAL POLICE. My editor will take another look at what I'm doing now to spotcheck any last prose issues, and I think it goes off next to get typeset, then cover image created.

I'm really hoping for an awesome cover. They can be really hit or miss, and though the old say of not judging a book by its cover is well known, obviously many people do just that. Otherwise, a saying would have never have had to have been created.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe me, the cover art is what gets the book picked of the shelf in the first place--unless you're Stephen King, or some other such luminary.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.