Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A bit of me

Author Topic: A bit of me
jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard (Survivor),

In the spirit of getting to know each other on the board (I think that was your original intent here before we answer questions about our deepest desires, loves, etc.) Here's a bit about me...

My name is Bob Scopatz. Jack Onus is the lead character in the story I've been writing for too long and now have the desire to finish from beginning to end!!! Wow! I came here because I credit OSC with writing the best characters in all of literature, not just SciFi and I wanted to learn. Ended up in a writers' group and poking around the forum.

I have a Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology (rats & pigeons in memory research). My career is in traffic safety -- rats in mazes are about the same as people in traffic. I travel a great deal and love what I do. I also realize I'll never get rich doing it and it does leave a certain creative void (one is not allowed to create fiction in traffic safety research until much later in one's career, ha ha ha!).

I live in Central Florida with my lovely wife and our menagerie (dog, cat, love birds, and a couple of dozen finches). No kids, and no desire to have them. Oddly, we live within a few miles of Disney World and have a house full of Disney stuff. Just big kids ourselves.

I try to write hard SF, but since I know the most about psychology (and a bit about biology and less about physics and chemistry) my stuff comes off more like a study of humanity than about how technology affects humanity. I like to write about the what would happen if humans had sentient competition on the earth.

I'm a member of Hatrack Group 9. We are taking a breather (at the end of the summer) because of various problems with computers and people actually having a social life.

I always enjoy your comments on the board here.

Now, what are your deepest desires, etc...

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Live with Honor, Die with Honor.

That's it. That's everything. I wouldn't even get up in the morning, or anyother time, for that matter, unless I thought there was something that I could do in that cause.

As it turns out, there is a lot that I not only can, but must do, in that cause. The problem is that I seem to stink at all of it, or most of it anyway. I just have to do my best, but that's not much.

It's like the old saw.

I have a certain number of things to accomplish in this life. Right now, I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Live with Honor, Die with Honor. If I can just get the one right, then the other should follow.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomda Plume
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nomda Plume           Edit/Delete Post 
What does honor consist of? For me, I guess it's:

1) To always tell the truth. Lies are base.

2) Never to make a promise I can't keep, and do my utmost to keep those I make.

3) Never cheat anyone else of what they deserve. Or rather, pay attention to what everyone's earned and be sure they aren't shortchanged.

4) Always stand up for the weak against the strong.

5) Don't let considerations of personal gain or loss, whether of money, prestige, friends, or recognition, affect any judgement.

6) Never take or accept anything, no matter how trivial, that doesn't rightly belong to me.

My sheer bloody-mindedness about all this is constantly landing me in trouble, though! I'm sure everyone thinks I'm a stubborn, hard-nosed, so and so. But I feel sorry for people who can't (or don't think they can) afford the luxury of honor. It would take something pretty extreme to persuade me to give it up. I'm astounded at people who sell their honor for spare change. They must not think very much of themselves.

Then I begin to think it's only pride, after all. To be craven is what would really take courage! I don't know if I could be brave enough for that!

So what does honor mean?

Posts: 70 | Registered: Sep 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You just got to do the right thing. It's that simple.
Nomda Plume
Member # 255

Isn't saving the world the right thing, then? I have this silly little feeling that maybe it could be.

But you sound like you know better. Won't you deign to tell me why?

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I'm not entirely sure that the world can be saved, even if those that know how were to act. It's a sure bet that I have only the foggiest notion what ought be done in that cause, and I can't do it.

So, I'm off the hook anyway.

But I can raise children. If I can get some of my own, that is. And I hope that I can write. So that's what I'm working on right now.

jackonus
Member # 132

First, let me apologize for starting a new thread. I clicked the wrong button up there. I really meant to simply reply to your post introducing yourself.

As for the truth, Victor Hugo in Les Miserables makes an excellent case for lying out of compassion as better than remaining "virtuous." I for one agree with him. If we lose our compassion, honor is meaningless.

Do the RIGHT thing? Seems to me that there are few instances in which we know, with certainty what the right thing is. If we structure our lives so we only act when we know what the RIGHT thing is, we'd spend most of our time in stasis. Not that I'm trying to convince you that situational ethics is the way to go, more like it is our lot in life to be forced to act on incomplete data. If you lack omniscience you are bound to do the completely wrong thing from time to time.

What matters is intention and hard work, seems to me. Humility is important in that we don't think more of our meager cognitive processes than we ought to. But finally, in the long run, I think it matters most how we treat each other. If you act from kindness and compassion, even if the outcome is less than optimal, it is not evil.

So, should we gripe about welfare, or add an additional 10% whenever we can afford to?

Survivor
Member # 213

Never lie.

If the truth is destructive, then you need to find a better truth. The truth never destroys, because it sets us free to make meaningful choices.

When you don't know the truth, you are not free. You are nothing more than a machine, responding erratically to impulses that you do not control. Being turned into a machine is the ultimate personal destruction.

No meaningful choice exists when we don't know whether or not we are doing the right thing, so action in the absence of that knowledge is irrelevant. Thus, acting without knowing what is right is the same as choosing inaction.

If you believe that there is a point in doing something, then you must believe that you know what the right thing to do is.

I don't know whether this makes any sense at all, but I feel it strongly. I don't always know what the perfect thing is, but I usually know the general direction. I stike out in that direction, and hope that I am getting closer. I refine my ideas when I can. I try to learn. And that is all that I can do. Try my best. Avoid failures that I can avoid, seek success that I can find.

Doing the right thing is never simple, even when you know the perfect way. In fact, that's when it's the hardest.

But I don't understand your last comment.

And what does any of this have to do with writing?

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it true that everything about us tends to shade our writings? To have such a strong belief in truth must show in any sympathetic lead character we write, or must it? (now, where have we heard that topic before? )

To what degree does it color our stories, though? Is it hopeless to try to write something completely outside ourselves, or is there a chance it could be successfully done? I know there are certain things that will never take place in any given work that I author, therefore I can't be the one to do it, but is it possible?

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I don't know. I think that we can certainly write about characters that are both sympathetic and have weaknesses that we don't share, Hmmm... I'm having a problem with the tense here.

I can certainly write about characters that are sympathetic, yet have weaknesses that I don't share. After all, I have weaknesses too, and I respond to all of them in pretty similar ways. Thus, I can imagine how I would respond to weaknesses that I don't have, and then apply that to a character. Also, I can imagine a character having strengths that I don't always have, but that I try to share. Same process, because I'm always trying to imagine myself as being stronger and better than I am, even more than I imagine being weaker and more foolish.

I think that we all do that, at least the part about imagining ourselves with some ability that we feel the lack of. Very few people have so little imagination that they never wish to have strengths that they do not, in fact, possess.

But what about showing a character that has a strength that we do not want for ourselves? Like being a good Catholic? I'm not a Catholic and I don't want to be a Catholic, so how could I make that a strength in my character? I would tend to portray it as a limitation. Or another character that I wrote a story about, an utterly conscienceless killer that was the absolute slave of his controllers. I thought of those qualities as being limitations. I think being able to kill is fine, but not even being able to know what your doing, that isn't a strength. It's a weakness. Only awareness of the moral...

Anyway, to get off that line of thought, which should not interest you unless you are planning to write about a conscience driven killer, I have to say that my views, my ideals of what I want to be, my understanding of moral conviction and the consequences of different actions, all must be evident in my writing. It's not a question of what sorts of things I personally might do, but of how I believe people in general act.

ducky
Member # 279

- posted      Profile for ducky   Email ducky         Edit/Delete Post 
To me honor means acting in accordence with what I know and believe. It is to have integrity which means the insides match the outsides.

Examples:
I know/believe that you are my brother so I will treat you as such.

I know/believe that everyone is intitled to respect so I will strive to be respectful to all.

I know/believe that it is wrong to steal so if it isn't mine I'll leave it where I find it or do my best to find the owner.

I believe that I am a child of royal birth and would live my life in such a way as to bring honor to my king and father!

Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

To me integrity also means that there is a coherence and order that extends throughout.

A building has integrity because it is built in such a way that it can go from one minute to the next and stay a building. It the order were disturbed, the materials might all still be there, but the building would be gone.

I am myself. There is an order that dictates and predicts my actions. I remain myself by acting in a manner consistent with myself. If I change, then that metaphysical action must be in accordance, at some level, with all the metaphysical actions that I have taken before.

Repentence is a prime example of this sort of thing. It is a metaphysical action, one that must fit in with what we have done before. Ultimately, there is an organizing principle behind everything that we do. Discover that principle, and you know who you are.

ducky
Member # 279

Well said if you take into account that a building can be changed. However it is important, in my estimation, to maintain the integrity of the design. The effect is jarring to say the least when you see a steel and glass addition on a victorian building.

The principle that governs the choices I make is the belief that I am a CHILD OF THE KING. I am in training to one day govern as he does. Therefore my choices are colored or shaped by my desire to be worthy of that position. I know who I am and who I want to someday be. I am not alway successful in my training. That is why there is repentence.

My building is still under construction! It will change many times I suspect, but it will be what it was meant to be. I will guard its integrity. Hopefully, as I learn my building skills will improve and the product of my efforts will be a mansion worthy of a queen!

Einer
Member # 273

- posted      Profile for Einer   Email Einer         Edit/Delete Post 
Might seem an out-of-place question, but it's better than starting a new thread: How do I join a writers' group here, anyway?
Posts: 125 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ducky
Member # 279

Go back to the writer's forum page and click on how to join
jackonus
Member # 132

A small gripe

Wasn't this thread about getting to know each other. While I'm intrigued by the various life philosophies expressed here, I think the original intent was to find out who we are, what we do with our time aside from writing, and what our interests are.

It'd be nice to know who I'm talking to, that's all.
-Bob

piman
Member # 142

- posted      Profile for piman   Email piman         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Jordan L. Hyde

I am father of three and husband of one!

I live in Salt Lake City Utah where I perform menial tasks for various companies in order to pay bills and survive.

I was born and raised in the great state of Utah -- but have had the opportunity to live in California and Colorado. (Okay I'm a westerner and admit it.)

My main hobbies are writing and brooding.

Most of my time is spent with my family. If only I didn't have to go to work so I could spend more time with them.

The PI Man

Posts: 76 | Registered: Mar 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ducky
Member # 279

I think there are bits of all of us all over Hatrack, but here goes.

My name is Laurie Weston. I live in utah, but still consider myself an Oregonian. I am 46 and have never been married. I am an incurable romantic and am still hoping to meet the right man. I sell shoes but am seriously considering a change of careers. I would like to make enough money to actually live on it. I am an unpublished poet and am currantly working on a what I hope turns out to be a book. What else do you want to know?

[This message has been edited by ducky (edited November 24, 1999).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, hmmm. I don't really know what all to say.

Name: Richard Chun-Ling Chiu.

Birthdate: Sept. 16, 1972.

Hair: Brown. Eyes: Brown. Complextion: Scaly.

Height: 1.76 m. Weight: 82 kg.

Fields of Expertise: Survival.

Well, anything else, you'll just have to ask.

Oh, by the way... I just got this riddle.

When asked this riddle, 80% of kindergarten students got the answer, compared to 17% of Stanford University seniors.

It is greater than God ~
more evil than the devil ~
the poor have it ~
the rich need it ~
and if you eat it, you will die.

What is it?

I am not ashamed to say that it took me almost five minutes to answer this, and the information about kindergarten students being able to answer it was a major factor. The answer is so simple and obvious that you will know it without any question when you get it, but subtle enough that it may take a few minutes.

Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, don't say what the answer is. Just say if you got it, how long it took you to get it.
jackonus
Member # 132

I'm happy to say I must have the intellect of a kindergartener. (I had to repeat that grade afterall.)

Okay, it took me a minute or so to get the answer. I'm convinced that if you hadn't said that thing about little kids getting the answer, I probably never would've solved it. Good one.

What do I get as my prize?

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

About two and a half minutes. That was fun! Somebody ought to put together a collection of things kindergartners know and Stanford seniors don't. Then they could sell it through the Stanford Alumni Association.
Survivor
Member # 213

There was the thing where they asked MIT graduates if they could light a flashlight bulb using a battery and a wire. Almost all of them knew that it could be done, but only a few were able to do it themselves. Hmmm...it's not quite the same thing, is it?
jackonus
Member # 132

, But the whole point of higher education is not to actually know stuff, but to know how to look it up. Isn't that true?

If we wanted practical knowledge, we would require that kids get jobs or join the military after high school, and only go to college when they could prove that they have mastered something useful first.

Survivor
Member # 213

No, the point of higher education is to certify that you have a particular type and level of expertise in some field. It's not the most effective way to learn, but it gives more control to the institution.

I personally favor a system of independent learning experience with certification awarded based on comprehensive objective testing. In fact, I don't think that any part of the learning process should be under institutional control, only the certification procedure. It would make getting a degree vastly cheaper and I guaruntee that it would improve markedly the level of expertise that degree holders would display.

Still, I don't want to be too hard on the whole idea of collages. Most of my friends have degrees from relatively prestigious institutions, and several people that I know are or have been involved in doing advanced postgraduate work at extremely prestigious universities. I may think that they're wasting their time, but then again, it's not like I have even the foggiest idea of what I'm doing with my life right now.

jackonus
Member # 132

You are describing an appreticeship system. That's fine, as long as the master you learn from is a reasonable sort. In fact, this is kind of how most graduate programs work. You have a major advisor who rules your academic life. If you get along and can work together, and the person is honestly interested in your advancement, then things work out pretty well. If not, it can be a disaster, just like the old apprenticeship system (wherein the master could keep you doing menial tasks forever, stifling your learning, holding back key techniques, etc.) and has some obvious flaws. Institutionalized undergraduate learning is not perfect, I agree, but it has some advantages for the student. And, honestly, you get out of it what you put into it. Despite my previous joke, I LOVED college. I worked for a professor in his lab the entire 4 years and it was the best thing I ever did. I did it for free and worked a part-time job, too. I was lucky I didn't have to work full time, like some of my friends.

Anyway, I'm sorry you feel like you aren't making good use of your time. That path has it's own set of problems. Mainly, important life decisions have a way of getting made for you if you don't make them yourself. From what you've said earlier, you aren't the kind who would like that very much.

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

You know, I don't think the best purposes for my higher education were apparent until long after I'd finished. It was way more than just all the stuff I had to find out about that I might have missed on my own, it was also the larger view that comes from interacting with such a wide variety of people, the really great effects of enjoying the company of one's intellectual superiours, the rich social, cultural, and academic environment with so much interesting stuff going on all the time, the wonderful marvelous library the like of which I've never enjoyed since, and also just all the fun we had. It's something I wouldn't have wanted to miss. I'd be a far poorer person if I had, not to mention having less money!
Survivor
Member # 213

Ugh! No, I don't mean an apprenticeship system. I mean genuinely objective testing for certification, regardless of where the student learned. Didn't they ever have anything like that around...sigh.

Whatever. What was this topic about? Oh. Well, I just have to say, to him that hath, shall more be added on, while he that hath not shall have even that he has taken away. True indeed.

True indeed.

Survivor
Member # 213

And I have to say, I do sometimes enjoy myself, and I know that I'm doing something worthwhile. I just have very little idea exactly what it is that I'm doing.

At times I loathe it, other times I find it exhilerating. Actually, it's both, much of the time. It's like standing alone against a great host and destroying them by the sword, cutting through the enemy ranks in the sure knowledge that I'm unstoppable. There is no way to describe it. And in the midst of such a fight, there is only the blade and the enemy, somehow defined by some distant concept that frames and....

Well, anyway, it's like that. Sort of. I know what I'm doing, and what I'm going to accomplish, but I just can't see right now how the one ties in to the other.

Honor is like that sometimes.

jackonus
Member # 132

Survivor, my friend, I'm having a little trouble reconciling these statements with what you put in the very first posts of yours under this thread. You seem consistent in searching for absolutes, but earlier you seemed to be sure that you knew what they were. I doubted you then, of course, because I have yet to see an absolute that wasn't someone else's example of a malleable moral precept.

Regardless of that, however, you have me a bit worried. I have known people who set themselves unrealizable goals and who also lack the capacity for self-forgiveness. I can't tell if that's an apt description of you, but it sounds like it might be not far from the mark.

To me, it is a dangerous path to follow in life. There's nothing wrong with not knowing how to connect where you are with where you want to be. But describing it as an armed struggle with you as the invincible swordsman? What happens when you find out you aren't invincible? What happens when you find out that the world has infinite shades of grey where you were searching for black and white?

Please, set my mind at ease for you. Tell me you are aware that you are striving to your best, not that you are setting yourself to be the best or nothing at all. You've got me terribly concerned here.

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I did say that there was no way to describe it. Too true, it seems. I knew that there was little chance that you would understand, but hey, it was worth a shot.

As for your notion of shades of grey, I have to say that it makes no sense. Shades of gray are defined by reference to black and white. As a matter of fact, given any two shades of gray, we can tell which one is brighter because of reference to black and white. To say that everything is gray, and that there is no black and white, is to deny that there are any shades to the gray, it would all have to be uniform.

Obviously, if there is no better or worse, then there is no point to telling me that I am following a dangerous path. In fact, there is no point in life, death, or anything else at all.

In fact, I happen to know that there is Good, and Evil as well. I've seen them, and while I cannot understand the totality, I know by experience that they exist.

And, just for the record, I'm invincible until proved otherwise. That's not the question. The question is, how does here get me to there? I can't stop to think about it, construct the fault tree that demonstrates the causality. I have things to do now.

wizzywig
Member # 313

- posted      Profile for wizzywig   Email wizzywig         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor--

I fully agree with you when you say--

quote:
I happen to know that there is Good, and Evil as well. I've seen them, and while I cannot understand the totality, I know by experience that they exist.

I have seen Good and Evil as well. They do exist. I do not buy this postmodernist mood that all truth is relative, that there are no absolutes. The idea that all reality is mere shades of gray is a convenient way to avoid taking a moral stand, of shrugging one's shoulders at evil so as to not appear "judgmental" (seemingly the only "sin" left in our postmodern, postChristian, postjudgmental world).

Re Jackonus' statment:

quote:
I have yet to see an absolute that wasn't someone else's example of a malleable moral precept.

True enough, what some consider absolutes others will consider malleable moral precepts. So what? That doesn't prove the absolute is not absolute. It only shows that some people refuse to accept the absolute for what it is. In my mind, the law of gravity, the speed of light, and "thou shalt not murder" are all absolutes, embedded in the very nature of reality. Some might deny that gravity is an absolute, and throw themselves off a tower, resulting in their demise. Others might deny the absolute nature of a moral law, but that doesn't make the moral law any less absolute. It just means that those who deny the absolute make fools or monsters of themselves.

--wizzywig

------------------
Check out my Working Writer's Website at: http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/jdenney/

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

Interesting posts, Survivor & Wizzywig. The problem with moral absolutes isn't that they don't exist, it is that they are different for different people. The speed of light isn't a moral principle, and it is the same for everyone. Moral principles aren't physics, they arise from tradition, culture, language, religion, human capacities and limitations and a host of other things which all operate in a fuzzy world with squishy boundaries.

Not killing one another is a great principle and a wonderful example of what I'm talking about. Does that absolute mean we should all be conscientious objectors? According to my church's doctrine, the answer is "no." According to our faith, I am expected, by my human nature, to put my life before others' lives. If I am threatened, I am forgiven for killing the person who threatens me. By extension, if the lives of those I love are threatened, I am forgiven for killing... I owe allegiance to my country (by extension of having love for its people) and should protect it with deadly force if necessary.

I think that muddies the water sufficiently to say we've got a shade of gray here. Scholars have struggled for thousands of years over the apparent inconsistency of the "shalt not kill" message in the Mosaic law versus the various orders to kill off the rivals (and "do not suffer them among you," or "kill them all or they will remain a thorn in your side") elsewhere in the Old Testament. I'm not convinced I have the one and only handle on this argument. Seems to me that is our biggest example of situational ethics and its burned right into the cornerstone of the faith shared by most of us on this board.

As for our visual system and our perception of black, white and every shade in between, I have two points:

1) While I certainly agree that our perceptions color our thought processes, it's a big stretch to argue that how we visually process black, white and monochromatic shades has any DIRECT analogy to our moral sense.

2) You are wrong about how we perceive shades of gray. It doesn't require a direct reference to black or white to perceive the difference between two shades of gray. The number of photons reaching the eye from each "sample" is good enough.

And I wasn't trying to argue in favor of situational ethics. What I was trying to say is that I feared you might lack a capacity for self forgiveness, Survivor. Self forgiveness, like self love, is the basis for our forgiveness (or love) of others (at least that's what the Bible says, if you want me to quote "The Source.") I'm not worried that you might not feel invincible in the future. I'm worried about what happens to you when you hit the wall of your philosophy of "invincible until proven otherwise." Do you literally die when vanquished? If so, then I question your nom-de-board.

That's none of my business, and your's and Wizzywig's replies have sufficiently chastised me in that regard. Basically, I wasn't trying to make you question yourself or start doubting your ability to reach the pinnacle. I was just worried and should've kept it to myself.

Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, there are moral absolutes. And you're the one that came up with the black and white thing, so don't blame me for it (if you really came up with that, actually, I think I've heard it somewhere before )

Heck, the statement "There are no moral absolutes" is meaningless unless it is true in some objective sense. If any statement about fundamental morality can be true in an objective sense, then it is a moral absolute. Ergo, if you're statement is true, then we may safely assume that it represents a moral absolute. That would mean that it was false.

Also, the original commandment is 'thou shalt not shed innocent blood.' An unsubtle distinction. I think that we can all see that it makes a difference. Very few cultures thought highly of the shedding of innocent blood, and most of us abbhor those that do.

Does everyone agree about moral absolutes? no. Does everyone agree about the speed of light? Surprise, no. Ask the man on the street the precise measure of the speed of light, and he probably won't know. Ask the average woman, and she'll probably even admit that she doesn't know

Anyway, I'd have to be dead to stop fighting, so yes, if I'm proven non invincible, then that would mean I was dead

Hope that clears things up.

Jeannette Hill
Member # 317

- posted      Profile for Jeannette Hill   Email Jeannette Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I know that this topic is really old, but I thought I'd join in since there's someone new, and someone so kindly provided a link to the subject.

As you can see, I don't use a pseudonym, (as I have said before, I usually end up just telling everyone what my name is, anyway, and haven't had any nicknames worth using here).
I was born in California, but live in Maryland because my husband is stationed at Ft. Detrick.
I will not tell anyone how much I weigh.
However, I have brown, curly hair and more-or-less brown eyes. (They sometimes look pretty green, but it's muddy).
Other than writing short fiction and poetry, I play Irish and Bluegrass fiddle, (I've had classical training, but didn't play for 11 years so it sort of fell to the wayside...), and read, read, read.
I have a dog, and no kids.
Right now, I'm a manager for Little Caesar's Pizza and am seriously getting ready to quit and find a nice, stable office job. (I *hate* office jobs, but the money/schedule are so much better that it's worth the trade-off).
I'm a card-carrying member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, a Medeival social/re-enactment group with chapters world-wide, and a motley-wearing member of the Militant Society of Bards.
As far as my philosophy on life goes, I just try to do what's right, and I depend on my instincts to tell me what that is. I have found that, the times I ignored my instincts, I got into more trouble than if I'd paid attention and done what I thought of first. Doing the "right" thing usually means being kind, putting others before myself, and considering the feelings of others.
The concept of the "lie of kindness" is something I have lived by and am trying to quit. It's that very idea that nearly destroyed my marriage and I won't take the chance of it happening again.
I also believe that it's silly to require those who want to teach History, English, or Music, to pass math and science classes, but that's just the spoiled two-year-old in me talking.
As far as the "black and white" vs. "grey areas" debate, my feeling is that one has to have a great deal of moral strength to live in absolutes and survive because, as fallible human beings, we are bound to fail in some way. Either we fail ourselves, or others. I understand the concept of "fight or die", but it isn't necessarily literal. I fight to keep my independent mind every day. I don't watch TV, (why do you think they call it "programming?"), I think about how those in power can take away my freedom and my rights as an individual and try to figure out ways to keep that from happening, and, rather than having any paticular "brand loyalty" or attending any church in paticular, I have a personal relationship with God that I feel good about. These are battles I fight every day, and I know that they are honorable.

Jeannette

[This message has been edited by Jeannette Hill (edited February 20, 2000).]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

Nice post, Jeannette. I agree with your philosophy, more or less. It's kind of difficult to actually have "a philosophy" because I find most of them have good and bad points. Once you get beyond "the golden rule" I think there's room for lots of diversity.

Anyway, thanks for clueing us all in.

And I hope we aren't asked to give our weight here. I can type over 100 words per minute, so I guess my fingers are in shape. Other than that, all bets are off!!

Survivor
Member # 213

Hah, body weight is nothing. How much weight can you do over-head squats with? That's what determines your value as a human being

As for moral absolutes and how humans are supposed to live with them, the whole point of Christianity is solving that very question. I can see the difficulties of the question for non Christians, though.

Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, I'm more than a little puzzled by the question of how humans can live without moral absolutes. I mean, even the moral structure of what is sometimes called social Darwinism takes it as a given that survival of the species is 'Good' and extinction is 'Bad'. This is assigning a moral value to an event that is simply a matter of fact. There is no implicit logic to the equation of extinction with evil. It must be accepted as a given, and one that I'm inclined to disagree with, at that.
jackonus
Member # 132

Richard, Darwinism, social or otherwise, is silent on putting value judgements on extintion. Applied to the problem of "descent with modification" in the natural world, Darwin was working without benefit of the knowledge from Mendelian genetics. He postulated a mechanism for inheritance of traits and gradual modification through "natural selection." Writ large, natural selection says that species which are best adapted to their current environment will thrive while as those which are not well adapted to their current environment will decline. When the environment changes, what were once adaptive traits may turn out to be maladaptive, and vice versa. But there is no inherent good or evil involved.

Misapplication of Darwinian theory to society is fraught with all sorts of obvious complications. On top of that, the inferior thinkers who attempted it based their conjectures on a faulty understanding of what Darwin was saying. So, what they ended up with is, predictably, a mess.

And, it has nothing whatsoever to do with moral absolutes once you reduce the social Darwinism construct into any semblance of logical analysis.

As for your broader point about moral absolutes, I think humans do have a hard time living without them. That's probably why they work so hard to invent them, and, some of us, work even harder to enforce them. I think the experience of the ages teaches us, however, that moral absolutes are like perfection, wonderful in theory and impossible in practice.

And every band of humans who claims to adhere to a set of moral absolutes claims that they were handed down from an omniscient, omnipotent 3rd party who is above humans (or created us), and thus has the right to set the standards. But, those personal contacts from the All Mighty are lost in the dim recesses of history and are now completely a matter of faith. The faithful adhere because of their belief, not because their god personally communicated the law to them.

Those of us who are "religious" are okay with that -- we take comfort in our faith and even wear it as a badge of distinction. Those who are not religious quite rightly point out that our faith need not be theirs and therefor our laws and absolutes need not be the same as theirs.

But it is not our place to say who is right and who is wrong. We can lead through example by living a good and virtuous life by our standards. We can talk about what we believe. But that's that.

I find it hard to fathom that anyone, especially the most faithful among us, would ever have the hubris to say that he/she has THE set of moral absolutes and that no-one else does. The human condition is one of fallibility and striving and uncertainty. Were it not so, we would all believe the same things and do the same things and we'd all be perfect already.

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I would hardly say that no one else has access to the set of moral absolutes. I happen to know quite a lot of people that share my set of moral absolutes. And I would never take anything as a moral absolute unless I had divine confirmation on it, so I don't know what you're talking about with this distant past business. I think that anyone that doesn't claim personal communication with God as part of their faith just isn't praying often enough.

But the idea that humans are fallible implies that they make mistakes, do things that are wrong instead of right. You cannot believe that humans are fallible without believing that there is a standard of right and wrong beyond what is merely human.

In other words, if there is no such thing as right and wrong, there is no such thing as fallibility. Therefore, we are all infallible. The fact that we are not implies that there is, in fact, right and wrong.

Besides, anyone that has a lot of experience with moral absolutes knows that they are both too simple to be put into words and too complex to be comprehended by the human mind. It all comes down to just doing what's right. But learning to do it consistently is beyond mortal ability.

Still, I see your point about inventing moral absolutes. It's hard to live the real ones, so let's give up and live some cheap knock offs. Loving our neighbor is too hard. Let's just tolerate him until he moves away or dies. Loving ourselves is to hard. Let's just please ourselves. Sacrifice is too hard. Let's just contribute.

The problem is, the cheap knock offs don't produce the same effect as the real thing. They don't make us better or more Godly. They just affirm us in our mere humanity.

Humanity isn't good enough. We can see that just by looking at ourselves honestly. We need to be better than we can be, or we'll be nothing.

Khan
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Khan   Email Khan         Edit/Delete Post 
Old topic but Oh Well--

my is Paul Hildebrandt,
i live in the grat (yeah right) state of Kansas no Dorothy comments please,
i'm a senior in high school,
going to major in art next year,
write poems, stories, plays and canticles (yes I hav one) for fun,
read all the time (am working on the Ender series for my fifth time, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mainenence, the Bible, Hamlet, The Gunslinger series, and others the list is long),
weigh 250lbs and am damn proud of it (12.5 percent body fat so Ha Ha, I'm barely even chubby.),
can bench 275lbs,
and could squat 500lbs three years ago when my back went out, haven't tried it since,
I have no philosophy I find them too confusing and that is my philosophy on philosophies,
i have an interesting wardrobe and my hair and eye color changes on a regular basis.

did I forget anything?

Oh yeah and Khan is just a four letter word.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

Welcome, Khan. I can press a bench really really hard, but nothing much ever happens.

I'm starting a new post on moral absolutes so we don't swamp your triumphant arrival with rantings about this other, less important topic.

Survivor
Member # 213

Jack, I shocked! It's not gentlemanly to press a bench. You should learn some manners.
Survivor
Member # 213

Hey, about Khan's triumphal entry, where the heck is he?

Oh, by the way, here's a link to the Moral Absolutes topic that Jack started.

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited March 25, 2000).]

Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, dudes, don't put anything other than the address of a homepage in the field in you're profile that says 'homepage' or it creates a link to a filename here in the hatrack server, just like using the url code with any other random piece of text in a post.

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited July 30, 2000).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.