Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Good lines (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Good lines
wyrd1
Member # 3366

- posted      Profile for wyrd1   Email wyrd1         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite oral line:

"You must become like the rubber chicken."

-sifu Taiji-Fool (a deep voiced hippie-looking old guy with arthritis who can still kick my ____).

It's much better than Bruce Lee's "Be water my friend".

Favorite written line:

"... and a third[student] had died of natural causes for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life." - R.A. Salvatore 'Homeland'

Posts: 48 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_hawk
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for ken_hawk   Email ken_hawk         Edit/Delete Post 
" I am a Count, not a saint."-( from The Count of Monte Cristo)

From my favorite poet, Walt Whitman and his poem entitled Song of Myself: " You shall no longer take things at second or third hand, nor look through
the eyes of the dead, nor feed on the spectres in books,
You shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me,
You shall listen to all sides and filter them from your self."

From the same poem :
"I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.

You will hardly know who I am or what I mean,
But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blood.

Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged,
Missing me one place search another,
I stop somewhere waiting for you."

[This message has been edited by ken_hawk (edited May 27, 2006).]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough* Two line limit *cough*
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Victor jumped into his car and drove swiftly into a brick wall.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wyrd1
Member # 3366

- posted      Profile for wyrd1   Email wyrd1         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, two line limit? *puzzled look*

"In a fit of jealous rage, you wrote a love letter?" - 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'

Posts: 48 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a night; set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer stood there, quietly ovulating.

--Adam Cadre

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

Yeah, because loud ovulation is... uh, nevermind.

2 line limit is a good guideline for not getting this website we enjoy into hot water for copyright infringement.

The highest form of praise is actually theft.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! You stole my line!

Well, kind of. It was actually, "Copyright infringement is the sincerest form of flattery."

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_hawk
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for ken_hawk   Email ken_hawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I wasn't aware of any 2 line rule. I thought that since I gave credit to the writer and didn't claim the work to be my own that it wouldn't be considered copyright infringement. I took one line off though.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
colorbird
Member # 3425

- posted      Profile for colorbird           Edit/Delete Post 
"Why are you doing this?"

"Because I can."

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Plagiarism is using another's content and claiming it as your own.
Copywrite infringment is using their content without permission.
Fair use allows for quoting.

"Why?" Mindy to the highrise riveter, as Buttons suffers some sort of indignity.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
you may mean copyright
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I'm sorry I never apologize for typos.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
(no fifth laugh because the irony isn't perfect)
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
"If these are your positions, where are your fortifications?" a skeptical Tell asked.
"Our bloody shirts are our fortifications," Shaltiel quietly replied.
Impressed, Tell told his rival, "Very well, I will accept your word as an officer and a gentleman."
--O Jerusalem, Collins & LaPierre

"...you go left two blocks, and there's another Detention Station, so go through the all-night shoe store to the alley, and...Or, no. It'll be blocked. This is Mrs. Krasni's day to move her pianos...."
--"The Face on the Barroom Floor," Arnason & Berman

Oral line:
"Just don't tell the elf."
--LOTR

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked

quote:
A little more than kin, a little less than kind

On an unrelated note, I'd been a copywriter for about 6 months before my dad asked me what my job had to do with copyrights.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't resist.

TANSTAAFL

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
Fortunately, in Call of Duty 2, one of your "allied" soldiers has been given the name of the lead designer on the game. When you need to vent your rage, you can always shoot him.

Now that's the kind of thing gamers really need

pooka
Member # 1738

"See this look on my face? It's 'terror'."
Survivor
Member # 213

You know, I tried to figure out which of them is saying that (so I could see whether he really had a look of terror), and I could never figure it out.

Did you already post "This is it, baby. Hold me."?

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

quote:
My submission is in 16 point wingdings, written entirely in second person with multiple colors to indicate my mood as I wrote the story.
Keely

pooka
Member # 1738

I still don't know what TANSTAAFL is supposed to mean. Just saying. This isn't a good line or anything.
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
TANSTAAFL

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

I think it's from Heinlein, but he may have stolen it from someone else.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I have to say, while Heinlein is a great writer, he's also a miserable ingrate.
Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
It is tempting to believe that social evils arise from the activities of evil men and if only good men (like ourselves, naturally) were in power, all would be well. That view requires only emotion and self-praise--easy to come by and satisfying as well

pooka
Member # 1738

Hmmm. Is "A" really an acronym for "a"?

There is a great scene in Anna Karenina involving a man trying to determine whether a young lady will accept his proposal via a game of "secretary" or communicating in acronyms.

Oh, and here's a line:

quote:

You shovel like no man I've ever met. But that does not make you a superhero.

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited June 05, 2006).]

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head then you can hammer attacks with balance." (OSLT)
hoptoad
Member # 2145

"What's a buccaneer?"
"It's the things on the side of your buccan head".

Wait, is this the punchline thread?

trousercuit
Member # 3235

As long as it's movie quotes:

quote:
Mr. Furious: Okay, am I the only one who finds these sayings just a little bit formulaic? "If you want to push something down, you have to pull it up. If you want to go left, you have to go right." It's...

The Sphinx: Your temper is very quick, my friend. But until you learn to master your rage...

Mr. Furious: ...your rage will become your master? That's what you were going to say. Right? Right?

trousercuit
Member # 3235

quote:
Gwen DeMarco: They're not ALL "historical documents." Surely, you don't think Gilligan's Island is a...
[All the Thermians moan in despair]
Mathesar: Those poor people.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"A" is "a"? Sounds vaguely Randian...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

quote:
"Genghis Khan had this marker, but Joe Smith in the Genghis Khan army also had this Y chromosome."

Okay, maybe that is sort of arcane humor. It was in an article on Yahoo about this DNA genealogy business. It is revealed more than halfway through the article that they have no evidence of GK's actual DNA, just that there was an individual in Central Asia with 17 million descendants today and they feel GK is a likely candidate. But obviously, he got his genes from someone else and it's probable a lot of other guys did as well.

Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, along the general topic of memorable lines from fiction...let's try on for size, if you will, Yoda's Pick-Up Line #254:

"Mm! So good your shirt looks...on my bedroom floor even better would look!"

Okay, perhaps that might not get a sizable number of appreciable votes. Scratch that.

"If you can't win...then there are alternatives to fighting."

Or perhaps...

"You might think it's a bit of a long walk to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

--VJS

[This message has been edited by Nietge (edited June 07, 2006).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhyner
Member # 3480

- posted      Profile for Rhyner   Email Rhyner         Edit/Delete Post 
One line that makes me blissfully happy is from Douglas Adams's unfinished work The Salmon of Doubt, in which he describes a building as "old and dilapidated and remained standing more out of habit than from any inherent structural integrity."
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.