Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Handling Other Belief Systems, Vol. II

Author Topic: Handling Other Belief Systems, Vol. II
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd add the header to confirm that this is a continuation of a previous thread (also started by me) called Handling Other Belief Systems. I just read back over it and there is a lot of interesting stuff in there.

quote:
I have to agree with W.P. (except the part about marrying a man, which I'm not about to do )

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited March 23, 2000).]

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ducky
Member # 279

- posted      Profile for ducky   Email ducky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the friend I was talking about was more than a 'friend' to her. I'm very glad she did not marry him! I am also glad to hear that you would not be interested in marrying a man!
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
This same young man also had difficulty believing that becuase I disagreed with him I could still understand him.

I told him once, as he was headed off to the seminary in Pasadena, that I wished him luck in his endeavors. I meant it, at the time I was also headed of in a different direction but to do somewhat the same thing - I was going on a mission for the LDS church. He actually told me that I could not honestly wish him luck, becuase if he suceeded he would be causing me to fail! But I was being honest. I may not agree with what he was going to be preaching, but I cared enough for him that i wanted him to succeed in whatever he tried to do.

Charles did several more thoughtless, and a few well-thought-out, things that really hurt me and injured our friendship. All in the name of religious difference. That is the one thing that I do not understand: viewpoints aside, how do you justify bruising someone you consider a friend?

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Einer
Member # 273

- posted      Profile for Einer   Email Einer         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it comes down to priorities: which comes first, your beliefs or the immediate feelings of your friends? Other times, it's just a mistake, other times it's just because they have something to prove that they won't release until the dawning of that thought has passed into another. There are plenty of reasons why people do such things for what they believe, at least to my experience.

The question is whether we can accept that and move on instead of dawdling on some little event. The sooner one forgives and puts it aside and the sooner one pushes to understand the motivation, the better the tolerance to such relational bruisings. Some call this tolerance equality, others just call it understanding, others still don't even think of it. But to me, it's quite a necessary thing for everyone to do.

Especially readers. A Writer has something to say, and a belief to show (in many cases), and the reader must be tolerant and understanding (though they are kind of the same...) so that they won't be hung up on such annoying details as the number of minority characters in a book or the portrayal of women in a novel that was written centuries ago or whatever the case may be.

I guess for me, all it comes down to is this: Writers write what they will and should not cater to the complaints of the populus. It might lose you a few readers here and there, but it will also gain you much respect and understanding by the people who do read further than skin deep. And if there's an audience worth writing to, it's that audience.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Hee hee,

I just thought of a story about some church leaders and their adventures...

Well, once upon a time, long ago, there was a problem in a small Stake in southern Utah. The High council of this Stake had become...impatient, with the Stake president. And they had decided to not sustain him at the next Stake conference. Well, someone went ahead and warned Salt Lake, and the prophet sent a couple of guys down to deal with it. Their instructions were simple and seemingly impossible. Persuade all of the High council of this Stake to sustain the Stake president.

Well, basically they went down, and really got to work. Well, as it turned out, the problem wasn't that the Stake president was dispicable and everyone hated him, or anything like that. In fact, he was well liked, and all of the High council had had friendly relationships with him over the years. But he was woefully ineffective. Woefully. Every one of the men that the representatives of the prophet spoke to was adamant. The Stake president may be a nice guy, but he had to go. He was letting the Stake fall apart, there was utter chaos, something had to be done, and...

But there was that time he had helped his neighbors bring in the harvest before a thunderstorm. The youth in the community that had gotten a sports team put together with his help. The heartfelt and inspired blessing of a child taken ill.... In fact, with a lot of effort, questioning and really getting to know each of those men serving in the High council, and their relationship with the Stake president, the representatives from Salt Lake found every man a reason to sustain the Stake president. He may not have been the most effective man ever to serve in that capacity, in fact, almost every man on the High council of the Stake still felt that he was probably the least effective Stake president in the history of the church, including those mentioned in the epistles of John, but he was a good man nonetheless, and they each decided to sustain him.

So Stake conference rolled around, and the Stake president was sustained, and a couple of very tired First presidency represetatives went back to Salt Lake with the news of their success.

They got back, and reported to the prophet, and he said well done. And then he sent them right back down to release the Stake presidency of that Stake, and call a new Stake presidency. After all, he really wasn't the most effective man for the job.

What's the moral of the story? Simple.

The Church responds to the needs of the membership, not the demands of the members.

Sometimes it seems like a trivial distinction. But it is always there. Needs and demands are not the same thing. The membership, and individual members are not the same thing. It is a principle that is true and eternal and will never be abandoned by the servants of the Lord.

Survivor
Member # 213

Oh, here's something good. I'm sure that we are all familiar with OSC's idea, posited in his Pastwatch books, that the Great Flood might have been a literal catastrophic flood caused by the end of the last ice age, when the sea reclaimed the Red Sea, right?

Well, researchers have now confirmed that this actually did happen, in the region of the Black Sea. At the end of the last Ice age it was a low lying area of fertile land with a lake in the center, until rising ocean levels allowed the Mediterranean to invade the area, flooding it in a month or less. I have seen several reports of this in the news now. Click here to read one of the stories.

Okay, this is all well and good. But I see no mention of the guy who first thought up this scenario, or even of the fact that it was an idea taken from a work of speculative fiction. This is just wrong. What would be so bad about these turds admitting that they got the idea of looking for this flood from Card? Grrr.

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me if I take umbrage at Einers remark, but this has nothing to do with writing, it has to do with relationships!

I do not believe that your beliefs and the feelings of your friends or loved ones ever are, or should they be, mutually exclusive! I had more reason than Charles ever did to say things that were cutting and hateful, but did I? No. And why not? Because the one belief that we did share was Christianity - a belief based on charity and kindness. Now, which one of us lived our beliefs in this particular scenario?

I do not harbor hard feelings at all. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that, try as I might, I can't even stay mad for an hour. But I do not choose to put myself in situations or relationships where the other person involved only seems to be accusing and hateful. What's the point? No good can come from something like that. There is no need for tolerance of an abusive relationship! Ever.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Einer
Member # 273

- posted      Profile for Einer   Email Einer         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. Sorry, I had no time to read the entire folder and some-odd's worth of postings, so I would like to ask forgiveness for that minor (or major, I don't know) sin.

But as of relationships, there is an idea that if everyone was socially greedy, everyone would behave. It's mutually beneficial to help others and have strong relationships, whatever they might be. I've always kept that in mind, myself.

In any case, I was baptised Catholic, but I've lived the life of an unaligned learner. This, apparently, doesn't make me the most apt to understand or apathise with certain difficulties, so I think I'll just hush now.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Speaking of forgiveness, and this being a topic devoted to beliefs and whatnot, I have a question.

What do you think it means to forgive?

jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think forgiveness is letting go of anger over an event. It doesn't rule out remembering that event (and thus learning not to trust the perpetrator). All forgiveness is a release from anger and hatred. It makes the forgiver less likely to go out and retaliate. Thus, it is a good thing because it stops the cycle of escalating violence.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeannette Hill
Member # 317

- posted      Profile for Jeannette Hill   Email Jeannette Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgiveness? Hm... I don't want to reveal too much about my past, but I think I can speak on this topic with some authority because of that past.
Forgiveness is not just the letting go of anger over something. It is also accepting the possiblity of being able to trust the perpetrator in the future. Maybe not right then, but there is that possiblity that the person who betrayed you can, through good works or whatever will work for you, re-earn your trust. Releasing the anger is only the first step in true forgiveness.

Jeannette

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about trust when trying to make my answer. I didn't hit on the "possibility of future trust" as a criterion. I think that's interesting. You have reached the state of forgiveness when you have 1) gotten over your anger, and 2) think that someday you might be able to trust the person again.

But you don't trust them just then, right?

Interesting. Not sure I agree, but it is certainly thought provoking. I was thinking of maybe adding that forgiveness begins with understanding. It is hard to stay angry when you truly understand why the person did what they did (and I mean you have to understand lots of facets of it, not just understand in the sense of "Oh, sure, he's a bigot, what else did you expect...")

After that, you still have to get over your anger.

I could see where then I might have to still imagine that if this person did x, y, and z, in the future I would then give him/her my trust. But I think I can forgive without ever hoping to trust that person.

I person robs me at gunpoint. I figure out that he's got it rough and needs my money more than I did at the moment (or whatever), and I eventually forgive him. I don't have to wait for him/her to do anything and I don't have to believe that he/she might do something in the future to earn my trust.

Seems like my definition lets me forgive without expecting anything from that person, while in your definition, forgiveness depends on the other person's attitude and/or actions.

I think my way is better only because I can get on with my life without all the anger. I'm not looking for anything from anyone else. If he/she changes to try to earn my forgiveness, I might be more ready to give it, but I should be able to forgive without that, shouldn't I?

I'd still turn the person in if they commited a crime. My forgiveness of the person is not more important than my duty as a citizen to the next innocent victim.

Even if I thought the person had changed, I'd turn them in.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

If you've got anymore ideas, I'm listening
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, since no more comments on forgiveness seem to be forthcoming, I guess that I'll bring up something that Jack mentioned in one of the other threads.
quote:
I believe in the principals of scientific proof. Where science ends, as in where its methods cannot be used to test the truth of a given hypothesis, I remain completely non-committal and non-judgemental. Where science can illuminate the truth, I adhere to the principles of science. If you can't understand the distinction, you and I can't even discuss the issue. Your continued attempts to "prove" that I've said one thing when I have not make me think you are either a smart person trying to bait me for the fun of it, or you are truly ignorant of the scientific method and of logic. I don't see a third alternative.

Here I think we see an excellent illustration of the problem that this thread was originally discussing (although I think that Jack may have been exaggerating just how difficult it would be for him to understand--and thus accurately portray--a person with certain differences in belief from himself). Even as we try to portray characters that may have very different beliefs and attitudes from our own, we often display intolerance and little willingness to understand real people that differ from us even on fairly esoteric points of belief. I solve this problem by unabashedly casting any difference from my own beliefs as a defect or "flaw" in my characters, but surely this limits me as a writer. I don't think that I could portray a person that was narrowly dogmatic as being strong because of that dogmatism, nor do I think that I could portray a callous disregard for other's lives as a good quality, nor do I believe that I could portray emotionalism as a positive characteristic. The list of things that I just don't portray as being good is much longer, but I don't wish to bore anyone (nor do I wish to reveal everything about myself all at once).

So, is there a way to really portray differences from ourselves in belief as postive aspects of our characters?

Survivor
Member # 213

Just a note, I do find it very easy to write about people with beliefs about matters of fact that differ from mine in a positive light by simply assuming as part of the fictional milieu that they are correct, ie. a person that believes that it is possible to travel faster than the speed of light using some star drive that I make up.
Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, I just checked back over the original thread and noticed that "change the facts to comply with his beliefs" is a strategy that I suggest as a possible resolution fairly early in the discussion. So I guess I'm not saying anything new, but merely agreeing with what I've said before. Being entirely self consistent can get really boring, if you bother to remember everything, but if you forget everything that you say a couple of minutes after you say it, then it can be fun to go back and read your own statements

Narcissistic, no?

ducky
Member # 279

alzheimers?
Survivor
Member # 213

Naw, just a habit of living in the now, sort of a Tao thing. I'm always so immersed in the present that I never notice how very much it resembles the past. Which is probably for the best, all things considered.

By the way, welcome back, Ducky. We all missed you, though we manfully restrained our impulses to write long maundering posts about not having you around, mostly because we knew that you would come back eventually.

ducky
Member # 279

Thanks! Not having a computer is making it hard, NO IMPOSSIBLE, to keep up with what's going on here. Glad to know you're still here.
Survivor
Member # 213

Hmm, you really haven't been around much lately, have you?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.