Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Generating names for characters

Author Topic: Generating names for characters
jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
A very funny e-mail sent to me recently got me thinking about the process of generating names for characters in sci-fi stories.

The e-mail was the "Generate Your Star Wars Name" game.

FIRST NAME:
You take the first 3 letters of your last name and add the first 2 letters of your first name.

LAST NAME:
Take the first two letters of you mother's maiden name, and add the first three letters of the name of town in which you were born.

I came out as Scoro Posyr. Not a bad Star Wars name.

I have used the "spell it backwards" method sometimes.

I have also used names that "mean something" about the person's character (e.g., Penance Christianson).

Any other ideas of interest? Anybody end up with a good Star Wars name?

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ducky
Member # 279

- posted      Profile for ducky   Email ducky         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my Star Wars name, it's Wesla MeRos.

As for finding names, I like to make them up. I don't use any formula, but I do say them aloud. Otherwise you could end up with something embarrasing or that says the WRONG thing to your readers.

Actually, one name I used was a common anglo-saxon name with a twist. That works pretty well if you don't do it too often.

example: Alan can become Avan, Olan, Aben, Alam, etc. Or even Haldan.

Just have fun!

Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Churi Hewas

I have to go with Ducky here. A system can be fun for a game, but I don't ever use one for making up character names.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I just thought that I would clarify that last comment. I don't use any given system for making up names, because any system invariably produces a particular template or pattern that may be interesting as a cultural signature, such as the near invarient rule of three single syllable names found in Chinese and Korean names or the alternation of hard aspirated consonants and e-i-y in Japanese names, but is not really suitable for all the characters that you might want to write about.

In other words, the Star Wars name deal works precisely because many of the characters seem to have names that seem like a random amalgam of syllables that are name like. In fact, the name generator should have a rule to permit one substitution of oo-u-o for any other vowel. That may be of little enough use for some of us, but it does permit a small degree of tailoring to fit.

Churi Hoowas

Not a big change, but I like it. As for a typographic system, I wouldn't use one. I do occasionally use meaningful names, but usually derive the name from words that I made up for one of my languages. However, I avoid names that type my character. Meaning names are given because of events in the past, not as a prefigure of a characters future. Even when you cast the name in a fictional language.

I do follow loose rules when I'm writing names that all derive from a fitional culture that I've made up. After all, naming conventions are a rich part of any cultural heritage. Also, it helps readers to follow cultural conflicts in a passage without having to be told what is going on. Like if two characters, Kitihagi and Yonan Aremi, are having a discussion about sexual mores, then the reader has a valuable clue as to why they might disagree strongly about what is acceptable behavior. Or if Kitihagi was talking to Haitakka about something, then the mode of speech might be different from a conversation between Yonan Aremi and Ammon Meiron.

But the game was fun. I would like to see some more people's Star Wars names.

jackonus
Member # 132

I find that sometimes a "typographic" name is useful precisely because it says a lot about a character. If, for instance, you aren't going to have that character change much during the story, then the name can be a consistent descriptor and one that maybe explains a dimension of the character without having to go into a whole backstory. I'll use Penance Christianson again as my example. I chose that name precisely because I wanted the reader to wonder what kind of parents would name their son "Penance" and because it fit the character of this person better than any other name I could think of.

Sure, it's a sledgehammer in terms of what the reader gets. There's no ambiguity or doubt left. In this case, it works to the advantage of the story, I think. And, if it turns out the character is more multi-dimensional than his name suggests, even that can have benefits in the story too. Kind of like "A boy named Sue."

Survivor
Member # 213

True, I suppose that we all have our prefs in terms of what we're comfortable with and what we think that we can get away with.
piman
Member # 142

- posted      Profile for piman   Email piman         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I cannot begin writing until I know a characters name and why he/she is called that name.

Othertimes I begin writing and whatever name I type becomes the characters name.

There have been times when I have changed a characters name either in the middle of a story of after I have finished it.

I have come up with names from the Newspaper, from my Baby Name book, from my brain or from just staring at the keyboard trying to find cool combonations of letters, and a combination of all of the above.

It all depends on my story, my character and if it is significant that my character has a certain name.

In the story I just completed, the two main characters names were very important -- even if that doesn't come across to the reader -- they were important to me as a writer, while the supporting cast have the first names that came to my mind.

The PI Man

Posts: 76 | Registered: Mar 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Redqaln
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Redqaln   Email Redqaln         Edit/Delete Post 
Sonan Cobos. I like it. Only problem with the Star Wars formula is you always end up with a 10 letter name. ::shrugs::

It depends on whether your story is realistic or romantic... er, where it is between those extremes. The more realistic, the more you should be thinking about the character's parents and background. The more romantic, the more you should be thinking about the name's impact and meaning.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

We all bear many names in real life. Some of them are meaningful to us, some less so. I noticed that my name in the Star Wars Name Game isn't Churi, it's Chiri Hewas. That really makes my oo-u-o replacement rule essential. Churi Hoowas it is again, by my edict.

Some names, our characters bear because they have chosen to bear them. Others they cannot escape. I am called Richard because I do not care to name myself otherwise. I answer to any other name just as easily. I call myself Survivor to explain as shortly as may be my attitudes. In the other forum I am called Serpent, because I write Serpent Army's commander.

I have other names. Some of them are very interesting. Some I know the meanings of, others I don't. At least one of them is a name perhaps too apt for use. Another is just not for everyday. I've only used it once, but I'll never forget it. I have a dozen others, some prosaic, some senseless.

I could make quite a list, but of course, I wouldn't include them all.

My point? Well, I guess that what I'm saying is that of course you will most likely know why your main characters have the names that they have, but it may not be very important to the story.

That may be a personal perception. I have answered to several different use names, and it made little difference to me. Is anyone here desperately attached to their regular names? Just wondering.

piman
Member # 142

A friend of mine upon picking up OSC's first Homecoming novel became very discouraged and said to me: "Why do all these characters have so many different names, that is ridiculous!"

This man is a PhD who is very intelligent.

I asked him how many names he had. He replied "One."

But that of course is not true. He is Doctor, Professor, Dad, Brother (both in the secular and religious sense), Teacher etc. All names he answers to.

I am Dad, Daddy, Dear, Jordan, Jordy, Jory, Jord, J, Hyde, PI Man, Mabeuf, Boss, Dude, Elder, Brother a few to personal or special to be revealed and probably some others I could list if I wouldn't be embarrassed .

The PI Man

[This message has been edited by piman (edited December 23, 1999).]

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nomda Plume           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when I read a translation of a Russian novel if they've messed with the names to make them easier. The different conventions are so cool once you learn them, and it says a lot about the relationship whether she calls him Ivan Andreiovich or Vanya. It's so Russian, that wonderful mix of formality and familiarity of calling someone by his patronymic. And the intimacy of using a nickname is something we don't have any more in the U.S, where even presidents go by "Jimmy".

Names say a lot.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Sep 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

Good point. I have a hard time reading Russian novels though because I sometimes lose track of the names. This combined with the fact that I read myself to sleep means that I will pick up the book and start reading about "Vanya" and not remember that this is really Ivan Adreavitch Ilyich Kasparov (or whatever) until I'm several pages in. Then I have to go back...

Anyway, it makes me less apt to read Russian fiction, despite how good it is, even in translation.

By the way, anyone know the name of the Russian (brothers) sci fi writers who were really big into things like biologically alive space ships and such? I saw their work in an anthology and it was really great, but I haven't been able to re-find the same book. (and please, don't give me just their Star Wars name).

[This message has been edited by jackonus (edited December 24, 1999).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Hmm. I don't even know if that would work with a Russian name. I guess that it does, but the names sound distinctly different. Interesting.
Einer
Member # 273

- posted      Profile for Einer   Email Einer         Edit/Delete Post 
As for generating names themselves, I have two sources:

For important names (pro/antagonists, symbolic chars, etc.), I use my trusty "Name Your Baby" book for inspiration.

For secondary characters, I use the phonebook. They tend to be nice and grounded names, which is what I like for my Writing.

The Bible also works in many cases, as does any other holy scripture. I've (most often mistakenly) used names of politicians or actors, etc. as well, but when it comes to fantastic (as in the genre of fantasy, not necessarily good) names, I simply look around my room. I might see a CD and think "CD ... Compact Disc ... Campania Delias" or some such. It works for me, and they're not that bad, truthfully. I don't like formulating names from systems anymore, simply because they tend to be of similar lengths too often.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mac
Member # 346

- posted      Profile for Mac   Email Mac         Edit/Delete Post 
Also i like to use interesting names to intrigue my readers no lame normal names like "John Doe" or "Jane Doe" but some times ordinary names for less important characters work well too.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
piman
Member # 142

Sometimes it is essential for your protagonist to have a common simple name. Case in point -- Death of a Salesman -- Willey Lowman. The name is very important.

It depends on what you are writing and what you want to put across.

I think John Doe (or something equally vanilla)would be a great name for a protaganist where all of the other characters have exciting, stimulating names. Maybe the common man is the hero.

The PI Man

Einer
Member # 273

- posted      Profile for Einer   Email Einer         Edit/Delete Post 
<soft laugh> I intended to do that exact thing in a story, but I haven't gotten to it yet, so if anyone wants that, they better take it soon (if it hasn't been done already, and it probably has).
Posts: 125 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ducky
Member # 279

I have a question for Survivor. What's wrong with Chiri? WP says you're just being a wimp. I think a REAL MAN could deal with a name like Chiri or Sue! How about Leslie which started out as a man's name but ended up commonly used as a woman's name?

Question: What defines a name as feminine or masculine? How does that effect the naming of characters?

PS this is WP speaking: I did not say wimp i said to call you "weenie!" and I meant it with all the affection in my heart Hello everyone, sorry, I've been touring Europe over the holidays. If you believe that, London has a rather spectacular bridge I'll be happy to sell you.... Happy new Year!! (guess I could have said all this on my own post, huh?)

Where did I lose control of my own post? She's as bad as my characters at popping in when least expected.

[This message has been edited by ducky (edited January 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ducky (edited January 03, 2000).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Um, it hadn't occurred to me that Chiri would be feminine. It just didn't sound like a good Star Wars name, at least, not for an air breathing character.

As for what defines a name as feminine, I'll leave that to you. I think it has mostly to do with whether the person that bears it.

ducky
Member # 279

care to try that again? Whether the one who bears it .......?

Do you ever name a character, then decide it's the wrong name?

What did you find wrong with Chiri? Did it just sound too happy for you? I mean Cheery!

Jeannette Hill
Member # 317

- posted      Profile for Jeannette Hill   Email Jeannette Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as common vs. fantastic names, what about "Jessica" and "Paul", two of the most important characters in Dune? Most of the other characters have odd names, or are named for objects, (Gurney Halleck). As far as my own characters go, it depends on who they are and what they're doing. Any time I have a non-human character, I give them a name they use amongst humans and a name they use at "home" or among their own kind. For example, I am now writing a story about an elf, Serena Nightshade to humans, and something else to other elves. (I'd give out her real name here, but I don't want to give anything away to anyone in my writing group-- sorry!). I try to give humans believable names, and to those from the same area I give culturally similar names. (Although what culture may be up to serious debate).
As for my own name, when I was younger I went by Jan, (because that's what my parents called me), and am sometimes mistakenly called Jennifer, Janet, or Janeane by those who can't remember my name, and have chosen to be called Jezreel ni Taidhgain amongst my SCA friends, but otherwise I prefer my own name. I have often joined discussion boards under other names, but always find that I eventually feel silly hiding behind a pseudonym an "come out" as myself. I'm just too honest about who/what I am to use another name when it isn't necessary.

Jeannette

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Hmmm, well, I don't know how happy four foot tall amphibians can be, but I'm not one, so I prefer something other than Chiri.

Come to think of it, Churi is plenty happy. Sort of makes me want to smile. I guess I'll have to change it more, too....

Shulon Heras. That's about right, don't you think?

ducky
Member # 279

I've decided to give you a new starwar's name. One I hope you will find suitable for a warrior.

I hearby christen you Chisu Herac!

jackonus
Member # 132

Chisu Herac? From Chiri Hewas? Interesting transform.

I kind of like the last name Hewas, and Chisu is pretty good too, although I think maybe Chiso is better -- maybe like an ethnic nickname.

No offense Survivor, but I started laughing a bit when I tried various transformations. The one that got me was:

Chisu H'wiz

(Cheese-u Whiz) Sorry, I couldn't help putting it in here once I saw it.

Of course, my Star Wars name can morph quite easily into:

Scato Poser, which I guess is a good name for one of those avant guard artists who works in dung!!!

ducky
Member # 279

Why should I take offense? Do you want to know the formula I used for the changes? formula changes: second syllable is from (su)rvivor and the fourth syllable is from hat(rac)k

I like cheese whiz but I don't think I'd like to wear it, esp. as a name.

Survivor
Member # 213

Once again I am convicted by my words. I didn't use a system for generating Shulon Heras, other than just thinking that it sounded like a good name for a StarWars bad guy.

Or maybe I am using a system, and I'm just oblivious to it. It certainly seems...ordered enough. Almost inevitable. Hmmm.

jackonus
Member # 132

Interesting point. It's kind of like making up new words, not every combination of letters is workable. We're limited by what looks like it "might be" a language and what is at least somewhat pronouceable.

I get pretty upset with some writers when they start throwing unprounceable names into their stories. I guess they do it for effect, but my "inner ear" (not the one that keeps me balanced either) has a hard time listening to the story when I keep stumbling over names. Same deal with made up words.

ducky
Member # 279

my 'inner ear' feels the same way. It makes it a lot harder to keep track of the characters if you can't file them away in an understandable manner. I like to say my names outloud just to be sure. Sometimes a funny thing happens when I do that though. For instance, when I read aloud from the story I'm currently working on I find myself calling Jacob - Jacom. I am begin to think I should change it.
setsy
Member # 304

- posted      Profile for setsy   Email setsy         Edit/Delete Post 

jackonus-

You are talking about the brothers A. and B. Strugatski. They are very interesting writers. I had no idea that there was an english translation of their work. I'm sorry if I spelled their name wrong.

-Setsy

Posts: 318 | Registered: Nov 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

Our moderator, Kathleen, an all around wise and wonderul person, sent me an e-mail with the following information:

Boris and Akadi Strugatski

Some of their titles:

HARD TO BE A GOD

PRISONERS OF POWER

MONDAY BEGINS ON SATURDAY

ROADSIDE PICNIC

I can't remember which of these I read, but I will post a new thread if/when I find any of their work. It was GREAT STUFF. I take it you've read them in the original???

Survivor
Member # 213

Just for the sake of other people scanning this I'm going to introduce the term 'mental ear'.

By the way, did Kathleen happen to mention the name of the anthology or anything? Just a question, not a request.

Also, where does the name Kathleen come from, as used among Mormons? I mean, was there some pioneer woman named Kathleen or something like that?

setsy
Member # 304

- posted      Profile for setsy   Email setsy         Edit/Delete Post 

I am Russian by birth and own a complete set of the Strugatski brother's work (ten volumes). I am very surprised to hear that they have been translated into English, and perhaps even more surprised that they were translated well. It's a rare piece of luck for the American readers. I recently re-read some of their work, and it is excellent (although they did manage to sneak in a paragraph about the joy of communism- ugh). Enjoy!

-Setsy

Posts: 318 | Registered: Nov 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

I am nearly hopeless at learning foreign (to me) languages. This is the first time I've ever wished I was fluent in Russian. As for the anthology, I don't think Kathleen mentioned it. My memory of the "discovery" is pretty hazy, however, since it was way back in the early 1980's -- part of the previous century...

I seem to recall that it was a story in a book specifically designed to introduce Americans to Russian Sci-Fi writers. It could've been a translation of just Boris & Arkadi's work, or it might have been an anthology. I know it was short stories, but that's about all I can remember about the volume. Found it in the NYC Public Library off 42nd Street. If you're in the neighborhood...

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that there are several anthologies that include the work of the Strugatskis. I just don't
know which ones they are.

You might try a search at www.google.com or at www.dogpile.com on the name--if a Yahoo search doesnt turn up anything.

As for my name, my father gave me the name of Kathleen because it's Irish, and his father was Irish, and because it is the name of my mother's favorite aunt.

There is some practice of naming children after ancestors among Utah Mormons, but there is also a practice of making up names. (I heard there was a website about it, but I don't know the URL.) Would you like me to see if I can track it down?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Hmm, no, I was just wondering. It's just that Lucinda and Roxie and some other names struck me as being sort of 'Mormonish' and I knew that they were both names of Pioneer women. All the Kathleens that I know are Mormon, which led me to that speculation.

As for making up names, I've never really heard of that one. I mean, my brother named his daughter Talitha, which means damsel, but that's not entirely the same thing, is it?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Talitha is from the Bible (Mark 5:41).

What I meant by the made-up names in Utah are names where they put syllables together to make a name. Eldean, LaVelle, Calleen (from her father's name, Calvin, and her mother's name, Colleen), and so on.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
ducky
Member # 279

Some 'made up' names are really nice. My mother nearly named me Luora (Lou Orah) for my grandmothers. They were Luella (English) and Orl (Welsh). I like it but she couldn't decide how to spell it right.
Jeannette Hill
Member # 317

- posted      Profile for Jeannette Hill   Email Jeannette Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a Mormon family who's children were named, in order from oldest to youngest,
Gage, Eric, Ammeron, Azure, and Kalli. (The first two are boys, the last three girls). Needless to say, I never confused them, and after ten years since I graduated from high school, I still remember them!

Jeannette

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

Some friends of my wife's were the children of an Air Force Test Pilot. He named his kids "Space," "Solar," and "Rockette" (the last is the girl.

Space is a really great guy who married his high school sweatheart. They named their kids Rebecca, Gina and Andrew. Go figure.

Survivor
Member # 213

Hmmm. I guess I could take Richard and Chiu and name one of my kids Rychu! Just kidding.
Survivor
Member # 213

First post on the second page! I appoint myself master of the second page, and name myself secun...

Oh, wait, I have a good story. My brother, the youngest of ten children born to my mother, came across a civil war era document of a son named Decimus Et Ultimus by his mother. Funny , no?

jackonus
Member # 132

Ha ha ha. Wonder if the name was just wishful thinking on her part, or did all work out as she planned. If not, what's Latin for 'Ten and Counting'?

By the way, you can have the second page. My browser is still showing this as one page. I think maybe there's a worm hole in here and we're in parallel universes.

Survivor
Member # 213

I don't get it. Usually, the fortieth reply is put on a new page. Or maybe it's eighty. Oh, let me look around. Oh, I see, they've reset the post display to show 50 posts to a page. Now all of my "first on page" comments are in the wrong places.
Survivor
Member # 213

Just for fun, I decided to go back in time and search out KDW's first post on the forum (or at least, the oldest I could find). Oddly, I didn't find any post in which she actually introduces herself (nor do I remember there having been one)...but since her posts are tagged "Administrator" and we all have to appeal to her to get into a writer's group, I guess that an introduction would be redundant.

I say "the oldest I could find" a lot because I know that many of my oldest posts have been deleted (mostly those that were in non-writing related threads, I think). I don't really remember if KDW was in the habit of warning us when we just had discussions that had nothing to do with writing at all, but I do recall someone periodically telling us stuff like that. Which is why I think that most of KDW's oldest posts have also been deleted, as I recall her (or someone, anyway) as posting mainly on threads that were later pruned as being unrelated to writing.

By the way, I've found what could be my actual first post (though I suspect it actually was not, since the active threads from when I first joined have all been deleted--and I would have responded to those prior to responding to a nearly dead topic).

Here it is.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.