Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Where do I go from here?

Author Topic: Where do I go from here?
killian
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for killian   Email killian         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know anything about what to do when you've finished a book? I'm just a second year college student and I've just finished writing my first novel. I've hardly told anyone about it (my family doesn't even know) and haven't told any of my profs, either. Even the ones I talk with more, including the monks (I go to a Benedictine school and we have a monastery on campus). So, should I tell anyone? Should I have anyone read it? If so, who? As someone who's barely twenty years old, do I stand any chance at all of being published? If I want to push forward with it, what should I do?...wow, I'm full of questions. I'd just very much like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rball
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for Rball   Email Rball         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I've never attempted to publish a book, my impression is that if the book is good, it will get published.

My recommendation would be to go to the library and look at OSC's books on writing, Characters and Viewpoint and How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy. Even if your book is not science fiction, OSC gives some advice on getting published that should apply universally. Also look on the shelf where you find those books and see if anything else catches your eye.

Also, I would get people to read it. Not just family, but intelligent, unbiased people that can tell you where your book is lacking.

That's what I would do, anyway.
~RNB~

Posts: 445 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeannette Hill
Member # 317

- posted      Profile for Jeannette Hill   Email Jeannette Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm not a published writer, (at least, not a paid one), I can only advise you to have others read your book. Look for people you trust to be honest. Even if the first person hates it, or loves it, show it to someone else. They can often point out things you didn't consider, ask questions about obscurities, and in general make your story more understandable to someone who doesn't know you. A good way to do this is join one of the writer's groups here, and submit your book chapter by chapter, but it may take awhile so you'd have to be patient.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.