Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » When does Character Introduction end?

Author Topic: When does Character Introduction end?
Princess kyra
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for Princess kyra   Email Princess kyra         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm writting a novel, and I am pretty far in it right now. I just relized that some of my characters (Not main ones, but important ones) need developing,and a few new characters need to be introduced. I just want to know if there is a rule somewhere that says that characters cannot be brought in to a story at a certain point. Thanks!

Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove
Member # 390

- posted      Profile for TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove   Email TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Like anything that relates to writing, the answer is, it depends.

New characters that appear later in novels are like candy. That can be sweet and surprising and really make the reader say wow. Too much candy and the reader gets sick.

Take a fantasy novel for example. Characters almost alway keep appearing, right to the end as the heros travel from place to place. In Raymond E. Feist's "Magician" characters never stop coming. The most important characters don't even really get a light put on them until at least half way through the book.

But, that's an extreme case. Only use as many characters as you need in the story. Don't throw in new characters just because you want to spice up a chapter. When you spend time on a character, the read expects that character to do something important. Few things are as annoying as getting thirty pages about someone who then does nothing. That always turns the reader off.

For me, developing is a trade off. When your developing, remember, the story isn't actually moving along. The reader is gaining clearer insight into the mind and motives and history of the character. Spending time developing is only justified by giving that character important actions later in the story.

So, ask yourself how important the new people are in the larger scheme of things, and based on that, decide how much time to devote to them.

It's also helpful to at least mention them passingly at some early point in the story, if they aren't going to appear until much later. If you can't do it because no one knows who they are yet or some other reason, like they've never met and have no knowledge of it, then don't do it. But if you can and the later characters are mega vital to the story, you should hint at them right from the begining so it's not a giant surprise when they take a large role in the story.

Posts: 473 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
My rule is to introduce any viewpoint character within the first two chapters of a book, and to have no more than four main viewpoint characters.

I personally have never written nor likely ever will write a work with more than two viewpoint characters, period. I also make it a rule to write everything from within viewpoint. It you follow this rule, you will find that you can only introduce any plot development as it affects your viewpoint character. Thus, you will never write about any character that is not important or at least interesting to your main character.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I would like to note that a number of my favorite works disregard these rules almost entirely. Watership Down, perhaps my favorite work of fiction, is written in a free form of narration, point of view, direct explication, and hypothesis (a form that I ordinarily would not permit in the same work with direct explication). There are others, but I find that if you use POV exclusively you don't have to worry about whether you can hold the readers interest. If they like the point of view character, they'll be interested (and if they don't, then you've already lost them).

Watership Down is informed by a different form of literary discipline, strictly realistic speculation. Rabbits really do most of what is described in that book, and it cannot be proven that they don't do things like telling stories or composing poetry (though I frankly doubt that they actually play 'bob stones').

Historical fiction, although a genre, is also a literary discipline, one that can be used with any known series of events. I find that the quality of output tends to vary such that it isn't useful except for the purpose of writing in the historical fiction genre, while relying on some other discipline to maintain coherence.

Anyway, I prefer POV limitations myself. It has a number of strong benefits, such as natural character sympathy and story direction. It also is fairly easy to detect anomalous passages, where POV limitations are not observed, so you can critique your own work or let someone else point out problems, which is far less true of "realism" or "historicity", both of which can be subject to strong disagreement.

killian
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for killian   Email killian         Edit/Delete Post 
Character development continues throughout an entire novel, IMHO. Like TheU said, you can introduce them at any time. But, when you introduce them, it has to make sense. They can't just appear out of nowhere at the very end of a novel and save the protagonist. Wait, nevermind, they could. It just depends on the novel, I guess, and if the audience would "buy" it in terms of plausibility. As for development, characters are always developing, sometimes on their own. That always seemed to happen to me in my novel, anyway. Sometimes characters introduce themselves, too. I think (again, IMHO) that plausibility just has to be kept, and things can turn out okay.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have much to add here, but I recently re-read some opinions of Victor Hugo's work (esp. Les Miserables) which kind of startled me. The critic pointed out that Hugo's characters were almost always unidimensional representations of a human emotion or characteristic. One stands for undying loyalty. Another stands for pure romantic love, and so on.

What Hugo did was explore, through these characters, the depth of that emotion or characteristic. In a sense, the interaction of his characters is the the interplay of emotions.

The reason I bring this up here is that I consider Victor Hugo to be among the greatest writers ever. I think his characters are much much more than the flat surfaces implied by this particular critic. But it is true that each character is a unit. I think Hugo was on to something there.

Having this in mind, I look back on other stories that I really have enjoyed and see that many times the characters are deeply explored aspects of a single human emotion or trait. I think Uncle Orson does that in the "Earth" series and in Alvin Maker with great success.

In essence the character development never ends because we learn how that character thinks and reacts (early on) and then we see them put into new situations where we get to explore their "trait's" reaction to other experiences and other characters' "traits".

I've never had a writing class per se, but I wonder if perhaps there isn't something generalizable here. That a good way to tell a good story is to have characters who are easily "codified" and then explain the story through their reactions to events and each other.

Sorry if this is old hat to others here. Just never thought of it before...

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Jackonus, that's an interesting take on Hugo's work. Thanks for sharing it.

Could you give us the reference for that article? I'd like to read the whole thing and know more about the traits the critic believes Hugo attributed to each character.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

I'll give you what I had, which is actually from PIMAN in Group 9's discussion of Les Miserables (I think everyone can click in that area and read, but not post). I'll check with Jordan about a source for the following. Maybe it's his own, but I think it actually was from an article and he can give us the reference.

quote:

Psychological subtleties are not Hugo's forte. He does not, probably cannot, delve into the baffling paroxes, the complexities, the idiosyncracies of the
soul. His gift is for fundamental truth. Valjean is a simple character dominated by one powerful emotion: caritas (charity--active, outgoing love for
others). He helps a prostitue, protects his workers, gives constantly to the poor. His very raison d'etre is literally love, since his existence revolves
around Cosette and when she leaves him he dies.
Javert is the watchdog of the social order. Maris is the incarnation of the romantic lover. Enjolras is the incorruptible revolutionary. All of Hugo's
characters can be briefly described -- in other words, labeled.

But this simplicity has its own value. It allows the writer to analyze in depth a particular emotion, like a scientist studying an isolated germ. No one has
captured better than Victor Hugo the ardous path of virtue or the poignancy of love. Valjean's deathbead scene has brought tears to the most
sophisticated reader.

Of course, Hugo's truth is the poet's not the psychologist's. he takes great liberties with reality. His characters do not always evolve in convinving steps.
Valjean's conversion is almost miraculous, Thenadier's degradation unmotivated. They are larger than life. Marius loves passionately, Valjean is a
modern saint, Thenadier a Satanic villain.

But these are superficial criticisms. Hugo only distorts details: he scrupulously respects the basic integrity of the charater. Les Miserables is the
archetypal representation of eternal human emotions such as love, hate, and abnegation.

Survivor
Member # 213

Strong, passionate, memorable characters are always simple from the point of view of a pyschologist. They are strong because they have integrity of self, they are passionate in only one or two directions, they are memorable because they are easy to understand.

A normal person, one with all the haggard weight of conflicting motives and desires, paralyzed by irresolution and doubt, is not only incapable of playing an important part in a meaningful story, they are also uninteresting to the audience. It is only when a person is converted, dominated by a genuine direction that they have chosen, dedicated to test the limits of human strength, that they can do anything worthy of mention. And it is only such people that we are moved by ourselves.

If Valjean helped others by accident, or just as anyone might, when the mood was on him, would we have cared? No, we want him to face every other force of passion and reason and still decide in favor of love, no matter what the circumstance.

If Javert were just doing his job the way anyone might, thinking more of what he would do at the end of his day than what opportunities where his to enforce the social order, would he even need to be a character at all? No, he could just be a disposable cop (like those guys in The Matrix they were pretty disposable) or even a series of cops, 'the cops' in a truly generic sense.

If Thenadier were to have plausible reasons, a sad story to explain his dispicable actions, would he be much of a villian? No, he would be every other person that just wasn't trying hard to be good, fell into some bad ways, and stepped outside the pale.

Of course, interesting stories can be written about characters that struggle with more than one guiding direction. But that struggle must be resolved as a focus of the story if it is truly important to the character and the character is important to the story. The reader must be able to confidently predict that the future actions of that person would be directed towards one passion, or the story hasn't 'closed' properly (though if you want to sell a sequel, maybe you don't want the story to 'close'). Background or filler characters, ironically, should be more 'complex' or 'real' than main characters. They should be pushed about by circumstances, reacting in a 'complex' rather than determinative manner.

Anyway, as far as the issue of when you can introduce a character, I say that you can introduce a character when the story, rather than you as the writer, brings them into play. By that I mean that the previous action of the story justifies and explaines the appearance of the new character. For instance, a Deus ex Machina is unconvincing if there is a reason for the god to appear but no cause. On the other hand, if during the preceding action, there had been prayers, sacrifice, purifications, and the like, and then at the height of the central action one of the characters calls on the god as never before, then the god should appear, indeed, must appear, unless the point of the play is that the god cannot or will not appear.

Take the story of Job. Job is sitting in his ashes with sores all over and all his friends come and tell him that he's a sinner and he should repent. Job says over and over that he has done no sin, that he is righteous. As long as this goes on there is no reason for God to speak to Job.

Then Elihu, the youngest person there, and not one of Job's friends but more of a youth among elders, stands up and tells Job and his friends that they are fools, that God is righteous, and that they are to puny to judge God. And to this, Job capitulates. Now he is willing to say that it is the Lord, and not him, that is righteous. Now he is willing to accept that even if he has not sinned in his own eyes, and this affliction seems grevious in his own sight, yet it is the Lord, and not Job, that knows what is just.

And at that very point, the Lord speaks to Job, and tells him all that stuff about the leviathan and the behemoth. There was plenty of reason for him to show up and tell Job this before, but no cause until Job changed and said that the Lord, rather than himself, was righteous.

Jeannette Hill
Member # 317

- posted      Profile for Jeannette Hill   Email Jeannette Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Another novel, or rather, series of novels that has this sort of character, (a personification of an emotion or personality trait), is the Dragonlance books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
Sturm-- honor
Kitiara-- greed
Taslehoff-- innocence
Flint-- loyalty
Laurana-- leadership (later on, anyway)
Tanis-- insecurity
Caramon-- devotion

And a few others. Through the eyes of these and other emotions/traits, the authors lead their characters through change after change, trial after trial, developing a truly epic story outside of the series' relationship to role-playing. <I believe it spent many weeks on the best-seller list and I know there aren't *that* many role-players out there. >
This is one of my favorite series, and I will probably read it again soon.

Jeannette

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Speaking of which, I've always wanted to get into role playing, but was never 'cool' or 'in' enough to do so (yes, I am aware that roleplay is often regarded as a domain of nerdyness, but I was always to nerdy to get in on it).
jackonus
Member # 132

Hey! Me too! The cool nerds would never let me play. Oh sure! I was good enough to drive them around in my car, or help them blow up the chemistry lab, but role playing?! Never!!!

I think part of it was that it is so hard for the rest of the group to deal with a newbie that established D&D groups (the rage when I was in HS & College) just had to limit the number and frequency of new members just to get somewhere.

That's what I tell myself when I cry myself to sleep each night.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you should be grateful that you didn't get to participate in roleplaying games.

Their formulaic approach to characterization is not the best way to learn how to do it. And you might have gotten so caught up in the roleplaying that it would have satisfied your creative urges to the point where you never got around to writing any real fiction.

Look on the bright side!

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

By the way, on the topic question, in a way, character introduction shouldn't ever end.

If a character doesn't grow and change as the story progresses (and require continual introduction/exploration), then you've got a static character--which can be BORING!

On the other hand, I understand that Sinclair Lewis wrote a biography for his title character Babbitt that was longer than the actual published book with that title.

You only tell/show as much about the character as the reader absolutely needs to know. And the reader should get to know the character better as the story progresses.

TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove
Member # 390

- posted      Profile for TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove   Email TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely right, Kathleen.
But characterization can rapidly change the complexion of a story. My favorite example, STAR WARS! Before Lucas let the audience know that Darth was Luke's Father, the story was much simpler. Yet, that information is not given out until near the end of the second movie in the series. Now we have eps. One where Darth/Anakin is examined further, and once again, you can't watch the original three movies without feeling something new for the characters.

If your characters stay static through your story, look at how many opportunities to expand a story you miss.

Posts: 473 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeannette Hill
Member # 317

- posted      Profile for Jeannette Hill   Email Jeannette Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the formula for coming up with the physical aspects and "schooling/training" of AD&D is pretty strict. However, it is only the least talented of role-players who allow the system to get in the way of character development. I have quite a few characters that I can describe without once mentioning what their "class" is, or what sort of magic items they carry, because I first decided what sort of person they were and went from there.
You could also look at the systems themselves-- my husband will never again play a Palladium system game because the three different times he tried to play, it went badly, for various reasons. I, on the other hand, have always had good experiences with it. (Altough I really prefer the Interlock system used for Cyberpunk and the Chaosium system used for Call of Cthulhu. I have also figured out how to do a Cyberpunk/AD&D cross-over that comes out pretty even between magic and technology). So, like any other tool/game/system, or what-have-you, it all depends on how you use them or how you look at them and it's unfair to make blanket statements without considering all the possiblities.

As for those of you who didn't get a chance to role-play when you were in school, there's no reason you can't start now. (I know, you're busy, blah, blah, blah...;P). My husband and I are both pushing 30, and would play more often if we knew better RPG-ers in the area. Unfortunately, even in a city of decent size, the talent pool, as it were, is small, so our choices are limited. (Just one more reason to want to leave MD...)

[This message has been edited by Jeannette Hill (edited May 09, 2000).]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rball
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for Rball   Email Rball         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever looked at a MUD/MUSH? These are text-based multi-user RPG's built around Telnet. Find a good one, and you can get hooked on hours of roleplay.

But then, you probably don't have enough time for that (the learning curve for all the commands, the environment, and whatnot can be quite large).

Posts: 445 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Goober
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for Goober   Email Goober         Edit/Delete Post 
There was one particularly good MUD I used to play called Swords of Chaos. This game was neat in that it had mostly played characters in it, and, my friends who played were entirely different people online, and the game had a very well made text based universe.

But, on the topic question, I also say that character introduction never really ends. You just need to decide if you need a character or not. One book, for instance, which I was forced to read in school, The Great Gatsby introduces the character Michalis very late in the story, but, he becomes a major character, because he came in at a point of resolution and the other characters had changed so much that to carry on the message of the story, the POV had to change too.

Thats just one example. Its an ok one.

Star Wars did have the best though.

Posts: 614 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Wait a second, I thought that 'The Great Gatsby' was all written from just one point of view.
Marce al'Meara
Member # 479

- posted      Profile for Marce al'Meara   Email Marce al'Meara         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Nick was the one telling the story the entire way through. Maybe Goober means the tone changed.
Posts: 2685 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that he may be talking about a different book altogether. I have to admit, I don't remember the book all that well, just that it seemed pretty loser to me that what's her name and Biffy head get Ol' Gatsby killed between them (along with that other chick, but she pretty much deserved it).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.