Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do you write from beginning to end

Author Topic: Do you write from beginning to end
Dazgul
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Dazgul   Email Dazgul         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a question. When you write do you start at the tale's beginning and write chronologically (well I mean chronologically in the sense of, "in the order the reader will read it") till the end or do you jump around. I recently read a suggestion that I should try jumping and have failed dismally. Each stage of my stories builds on each following part. Sometimes I leave a part unfleshed then later come and flesh it out, but I find it hard to imagine totally abandoning the chronological approach. I'm just curious how you (plural) write?
Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I start wiht a scene, any scene. Beginning end middle anywhere and write both directions. I often go back and move things around as well. My latest book---I started with the very last scene and then went to the beginning and jumped all over th eplace as ideas came to me.

I did that with my first book and went back later and looked at the scenes that I hadn't used and turned some of them into short stories. One even sold!

I think you have to do whatever works for you.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It is probably easier to use the jumping around method of writing if you are using an outline.

But not every writer is comfortable with an outline. Some writers like to start with a character (or a setting, or a situation, or whatever) and just go from there.

The main reason I would recommend the jumping around method is if there is a scene that is particularly clear to the author that is not the opening scene.

Writers should write the parts that are most ready to be written, when they are most ready. If you wait until you get to that part while writing chronologically (and that's a valid term for it, by the way), you may not be as excited about the scene as you were when it first formed in your mind.

There is no rule that says if you start with the jumping around method that you have to stick with it. Once you get the out-of-order scene down on paper, it's fine if you go to the beginning and write chronologically until you get to that special scene, or until another scene demands to be written.

You will most likely do the rewrites in the order in which the story will be read, and you can smooth over the rough connections and fill in any blanks, and so on, during the rewrites.

1--Write the parts that you are ready to write no matter where they come in the story.

2--Get the whole thing, in whatever order, down on paper so you have something to work with.

3--Then edit and rewrite in chronological order (or reading order), and make sure it all works.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I build the milieu first, which contains all the explicitly "idea driven" story elements (what if...? stuff). Then I create a character within that milieu, which introduces my own reactions to the setting that I've imagined (what would I be like if...?). Then I explore the central conflict and a few of the subsequent conflicts that are going part of the character's relationship with the world, and build a story around that.

Which is to say, I create an outline, then tell the story that fits inside of that outline.

In the final draft, the story does have to be read from beginning to end, so you have to go through and edit it with that in mind, from beginning to end. And in the method I describe, building a world sets the conditions before the beginning of the story, imagining your character in that world is the genesis of the story, and only in the outline do you decide the resolution of the story, so it can be regarded as a beginning to end process.

I think that the important thing is that if you just sit down and write out your story from beginning to end, letting the action unfold from beginning to end, it makes it much harder to fix certain kinds of errors. For instance, let's say that you posit something really silly as an element of the setting. Because you didn't have a separate stage for creating the setting and considering it apart from the story, you may only realize it when you ask other people to read the story and every single one of them says "This is a stupid idea." But at that point, it's too late to fix it without throwing out the entire story.

The same sort of error can happen at each level. Your world could have a completely implausible aspect (I've read countless stories that are set in silly worlds, so I've learned to forgive that flaw in a story, but I'll never enjoy it), or your character could have an inexplicable contradition that is obvious (so smart and straightforward in one place and so stupid in another, for no reason...) to readers, or the plot itself could contain contradictory action that can't be solved except by Deus Ex Machina (I don't forgive this in a story, even if I forgive everything else). Which is why it's a good idea to go through and make sure that each level is well constructed, since everything after that is going to be based on it, and if there's a flaw in one of the base levels it can be impossible to remove later without discarding all your work.

That's why outlining and writing a story in that way is suggested, but if you don't find yourself having those sorts of problems, then there's no reason to change the way you write. On the other hand, if you've ever had a story that everyone thought was great except for some foundational premise being a stupid or implausible idea, then you should give structured outlining a try (of course, sometimes a reader just wants to find fault).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
I start with an early chapter, but never the beginning -- that has to evolve for me. I usually have a concept of the ending just for working purposes, but by the time I reach the end, I've altered it a lot.

The result is usually acceptable to me in that the central theme of the book is solid right from the start, but it can be bracketed by things that change as I get around to writing them.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing is I almost always end up tossing the first few chapters---and rewriting the end a hundred times before I am happy with it--not in short stories; in those I end up starting at the point of intensist(is that a word?)action and go from there trying to make the first scene the hit the ground running one.

I do outline my world and do extensive character profiles, but that is all the outline I do, until I am done, then I outline to make sure things flow and that I don't have any of those pesky continuity errors.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilamrta
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for Lilamrta   Email Lilamrta         Edit/Delete Post 
With my book(s?), once I had the basic idea, I wrote a few scenes that devoloped character and plot, and then I started at the beginning. Now the first book in the series is a collection of short(ish) stories introducing the rather complex world, so I just write whatever story is interesting me at the time. They're independent of each other. If I were writing typical chronological chapters I'd go in order.
--Lila

Posts: 239 | Registered: Jun 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.