Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Pooh On Editting

Author Topic: Pooh On Editting
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my little conundrum in life.
I've written a novel, which was and is great, because I have something to show for a year and a half of work. Trouble is, it's 150,000 words long, and I can't seem to shorten it. I know that publishers will be less than willing to take a 150,000 word novel from a newbie.
That's not the major problem though (if tha's the length it's gotta be, that's the length it's gonna be). My problem lies in the desire to edit. Over the past year and a half I developed two very strong ideas out of Dawn, and both demand my attention. I think their allure lies in the fact that they are unwritten, which mean I get to write, rather than correct previous writing. I think I much prefer a fresh new project than one that, in the deep recesses of my mind, is finished. I love the story dearly, but my new ones seem far more seductive to my typing-fingers.

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
WillC
Member # 185

- posted      Profile for WillC   Email WillC         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you can't cut it, expand it. Make it a trilogy. Or a quad. Editors seem to like those.

Also, if you aren't too sensitive, have a qualified neutral party read it and make suggestions. If indeed you know someone that can fit that description.

WillC

[This message has been edited by WillC (edited December 21, 2000).]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove
Member # 390

- posted      Profile for TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove   Email TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Try to find a knowledgable person, who knows what a good story is, to read it. If you know any english teachers, head for them! You'll be really surprised how many errors that spellcheck never finds.

Chances are, if you feel, (as you've said) that the story is good, and you believe in it, it will be good.

If you can't stand the thought of taking time off, then by all means, start on an all new, fresh project. 150,000 is a monster, so that might fit you. If you can deal with the headaches and stress of a little R&R, do that.

I think the reason you don't want to edit it because it is so much work you've put into it already. Plus, deep in your soul could be that lurking writer's fear that "maybe it's no good!" Ahhhh, what a nightmare!

But do put it aside for now. Put it aside and leave it alone for a two or three weeks. Forget about it, and then pull it out and look at again. You might find that you're ready to do some editing.

Posts: 473 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

I think inflicting it upon my English teachers might be a little cruel. Especially when they have to mark my essays too! It's a good idea, though, I might ask one of the more nicer ones.
A trilogy doesn't really work, seeing as one of the good ideas that came out of Dawn was a sequel. It's possible, but splitting 150,000 into three makes for small books. And what publisher would accept a trilogy from a newbie?
Putting it off sounds nice, especially since I spent the last month or so rewriting the beginning.
JK

WillC
Member # 185

Humm.

Seems to me that if you already have a notion for a sequel, then split the larger work in half and write the sequel as the 3rd of a series.

A single novel or a trilogy or a series. A newbie is a newbie, and any work by an unknown would probably be treated the same regardless of that.

WillC

TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove
Member # 390

- posted      Profile for TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove   Email TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove         Edit/Delete Post 
So how long did you work on your book JK? I really admire your perseverance in sticking with something that long. And it's your first too?
Posts: 473 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
WillC
Member # 185

Yes, it is impressive. Specially since if we can assume from his post in the other thread that he is 16. If his book has the same level or better of writing his posts have, then we are seeing a diamond in developing here, I think.

WillC

JK
Member # 654

Hey, come on now, I'm blushing.
Seriously, I've been working on Darkest Dawn for a year and a half now, and yes, it's my first novel. Splitting it into two with the sequel as a third's a good idea, I'd never thought of that. And I suppose I shouldn't worry so much about publishers liking trilogies or not.
Thanks for the praise, but I think it's a liitle undeserved since you haven't seen any of it. Thanks for the advice, though, much appreciated.
JK

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
JK, I'd like to cast my vote with those who suggest you lay the 150,000 word novel aside for a while, but I'd like to go a bit further.

I think you ought to consider laying it aside for as long as it takes you to write up the new and exciting stuff that is begging to be written.

One reason I have for this suggestion is that if you lay the novel aside that long, when you come back to it, you will be much more likely to be able to see where you can work on it more.

Another reason is that by the time you finish the new and exciting project, you will have written so many more words that your writing will have improved with the experience, and you will be better skilled and better able to work on it some more.

The more writing you do, the more likely it is that your writing will improve, and the better your chances will be of getting published.

One warning: you may come back to that first novel after finishing the new project, and find that you hate the first novel. Don't let that discourage you. That is probably an indication that your writing really has improved. If the first novel really is worth something, you will have skills to improve it, too--skills you don't have yet.

So let the first novel rest, and write what excites you now. (If you wait, it may not be as exciting to you later. "Seize the day" really applies to writing.)

Write on!

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

You put forward an interesting and very persuasive argument. However, at the moment, I have no choice but to put Dawn to one side due to work (with the end of the holidays, getting back into the work routine takes about a week or so before I can do any more writing). I think I will write the more interesting stuff, although its a little complicated because my other two ideas are strongly linked to Dawn (one's set before, one after). Writing either demands that I continue to think about Dawn, which might not be a bad thing, except that distancing myself is a little harder.
Incidentally, how do I get myself back in the waiting list for a writer's group (seeing as mine appears to have crumbled)?
JK

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
JK, the best way to get on the list for another Hatrack group is to email me about it.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

Well, when I get my e-mail working again, I'll e-mail you about it. Thanks a lot.
JK

JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
JK, something occurred to me reading the thread that wasn't mentioned. Is there a gripping and solid vignette in your longer story somewhere that could stand as a short story? Something that could get published in a magazine, then give you a publishing credit (related specifically to the novel no less) that you could place in a querry letter for the novel?

If you had the right piece for such a short story, you might even be able to re-work it just a bit, possibly throw in some nuggets from your current ideas that could foreshadow your next works. Then, don't worry about those nuggets not appearing in the novel-length version, you'll already have the short story your fans can appreciate, and you'll develop the nuggets in future stories.

Just a thought. Good luck!

JP

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

Wow, I thought this thread died ages ago.
I'll be honest, Carney, I've thought about shorts in the Dawn universe for as long as I've been writing the novel(s), and I've found it very hard to separate just one bit of it out to use in a short. Other bits, outside the Dawn/Dusk story could work, but that would have little bearing on my current problem, and would more likely just add to my workload.
However, the idea of a short that gives publishing credit is alluring, and seeing as I can't stop myself thinking of ideas (long or short), I'll just accept it and wait until I find a good one for a short.
Thanks.
JK

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.