Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New story: needs honest critique

Author Topic: New story: needs honest critique
Writer_Actress
Member # 848

- posted      Profile for Writer_Actress           Edit/Delete Post 
Here goes:

Doors up and down the hall burst open. She knew that she had been caught again. Mrs. Jondas grabbed her elbow and marched the length of the hall to the principal's office. Mr. Clemens looked annoyed.
"Third time this week. Why don't you take a rest, Melissa?" Why couldn't she take a rest? What kind of question was that to ask someone who just got caught skipping classes? Mr. Clemens was way too nice, and she knew that the weakness would someday spit itself back in his face.
"I'll try, Mr. C." She replied. Yeah right. Try not to be caught next time, she thought.
"Well, I'm glad you are putting the effort into it, Melissa. For that effort, I am letting you off the hook. But no more cutting class!" Melissa nodded but knew that there would be more. If Mr. Clemens knew why, he would not be on her case like this. But he didn't. And it was best that way. She walked out of the office and saw for the first time the new kid.

[Note: This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury]

Posts: 426 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove
Member # 390

- posted      Profile for TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove   Email TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a general rule that actual stories aren't posted here in the "discussion about writing" forums. But now that I think about it, I'm not sure why. We tend to use this forum as a chit-chat about writing and discussion of what problems are novels are facing, ectra..

But since your new and you've already posted anyway, I'll certainly give you a critque...

I love the opening. It starts well enough with good writing, and good character introduction. Melissa and Adam are quite life-like. I think the first part you can keep as it, because while there are a couple of things that might need changing if your current formula changes. I thought these weaker points included that Melissa's first conversation was too abruptly began in ending (it was short) Maybe a little more time in Melissa's head would be nice? Also, you didn't answer why she was skipping. That's alright at first because I expected you to answer that later, but.... you didn't.

The second part also begins well enough, and the first conversation with Adam and Melissa goes well, but then things begin to get worse from here. I noticed a weaking in the actual writing as you described the operation and the events leading up that. Too much passive voice, it gets muddled who POV we're seeing, and it bogs down the story. But it does raise more questions, which again, it alright, cause i'm expecting answers to be forthcoming, meanwhile your are building interest...

Third part again sorts of blends into the second, and again it just felt a little to passive and without a stronly defined point of view. Almost as if you've lapsed into reported.. Then the deathblow comes with the secnd conversation with the principle. Him being dragged out and policemen appearing simply throws too much on to my plate! I'm gone from wondering "what is going?" on to "this doesn't make any sense!" That's close to the death of any story. "What's going on" keeps me reading, but the latter stops readers cold. You, knowly or not, provide lots of great lead-ins to the story and mystery like..

Why was Melissa skipping? & does she like it here?
What does she mean when she tells Adam not many kids get to come here?
Who was the man who attacks them?
What did the nurse do to them?
Why did the police come?

These are all good by themselves, but at some point you must start throwing out some hints and or answers that lead to the next question. Too many questions thrown out one right after another are the death of this opening...You are'nt given too long in a short story to establish questions and then provide answers, so you have build your suspenseful story carefully....

good work, and welcome to Hatrack, Writer_Actress. If you haven't reported in, please do, in either with an introduction post or in the roll call section.

Posts: 473 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I've edited Writer_Actress's story because we don't publish fiction here, and that's why there is a "general rule" about not posting a whole story on this website.

If you want your work published, you need to send it to people who do publish it, like magazine and anthology and book editors.

If you post it on this website, then those people will not be interested in paying you money for your work because they only pay when they get to publish it first (they want you to not have used up your first electronic rights--which is what happens when you post a story on the website).

Please, no more than the first thirteen lines of a story here.

Thank you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
writerPTL
Member # 895

- posted      Profile for writerPTL   Email writerPTL         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question....

How would they know? How on EARTH would they know? And as long as it's for private use/critique only, why does it matter? It's not being sold to anyone. So why? I don't understand this.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to hotbot search engine enter in the lines from the story in their advance search and presto 9 out of 10 times if finds it. ALso why risk your story being taken? Have you copyrighted it before posting it? Hmm you see it on the best seller list one day. You have no recourse.

Also it is the way it is. If it has been published electronicly then the rights are gone. How would they know? You sign a contract. Are you honest in that signing? You should be. And what of the umpteen visitors to this site or any. Hey I saw that on hatrack---hey I wounder if this guy stole the idea and all at once everyone knows you had it up at such and such a place.(people will do anything to get in the news these days)

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
writerPTL
Member # 895

it was up less than thirty days on a private web page, and (in pieces) on 4 message boards, and you're telling me they can't publish just that? I'm not so paranoid I think everyone's going to steal my story. Who am *I* to think *my* story is good enough someone would *steal* it. Do I *look* like Stephen King?
srhowen
Member # 462

Sorry, I'm not telling you that. The publishing industry is. It's not the parts and pieces so much as the complete draft.

NEVER ever put a complete final draft of anyting on the web for critique. If it's published ok, but otherwise do not do it.

Are you King? I don't know. BUt even he had to start out somewhere. And many authors go back and polish and publish earlier work after they have been discovered.

I just prefer not to take the chance.

Shawn

JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the idea of someone stealing your story is the compelling argument here, I think it's the publishing rights, and your honesty and integrity to say "no, it's never been published before, and you are the first" -sign contract here-

This isn't a "private" website, it's very very public, and who's to say that DelRey or White Wolf or others aren't around here periodically? I think the safest bet is to join a critique group (haven't done so myself, yet, but if you get a good one I hear it's...well, good) or solicit from the group some folks you could e-mail the pieces to for review. I'm of the mind 'better safe than sorry'.

And a final thought -- think of the 13 lines as the manuscript submission, or heck, actually write the querry. If you can get those 13 lines, or the mock querry to really grab our attention, you'll have people beating down your inbox asking to read and critique for you. And it'll be good practice to boot.

Ciao!

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
writerPTL
Member # 895

I had it on MY private web page, this was one of the message boards.

And the first 13 lines are gripping, but they barely get into the plot.

How is me typing it up somewhere in rough draft form publishing? I've barely ran spell check for crying out loud!

JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what to say, WriterPTL. I'm just going by what I've read/heard about the publishing world. As I reread all the posts this came to mind.

I'm an editor with White Wolf publishing. I hop around sites like this (I'm a editor and OSC fan, after all) to see what 'amature' writers are talking about. I see a story here, the full thing, a really good short that someone posted to get feedback on. I read it, like it, and I strike up an e-mail relationship with the author (it could happen). After a few months, a few more shorts (posted on the site for critique), she submits them for an on-line anthology, a new endeavor White Wolf is doing. The contract says first electronic rights (or some such mumbo jumbo)...now, is it really first electronic rights?

I see the scenario holding true for private websites. You have your homepage on your bio, I see some of your writing here, like it, look at your bio and zip off to your homepage. There you have several poems and stories. I've read them, and who knows how many others have read them. Again, can you submit them for first rights publication?

I just want to say I'm not published, am not a publisher, and really don't want to defend this too hard. I'm just going by what I've read/heard about the industry. For me, why take the risk?

Now, this does raise a question about story fragments, and this may have been what you were asking all along (it takes me a while to get there sometimes). If I post a chapter for critique, only one of the entire story (not each chapter as I finish it), does that sill hold true to what I've said above? Kathleen? Anyone??

And what about copyright of web-posted material? Do I have to have 'Copyright 2001 JPCarney' at the end of each page? Just somewhere on the site to cover all pages? Does it become public domain if I don't have it on there (as it would publishing it in, say, an organization newsletter)?

I've read a bit on the subject of copyright, and this ---> http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/ <----- is an obvious good starting point. If there are others out there, I'd love to see them. Of course there are plenty of books and chapters in books on the subject.

Anyway, that's my two cents for now. Enjoying the topic!

Ciao!

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I write a column for Wild Child Publishing and have done many articles on things a writer should beware. You might want to take a look for further info. The Writers Digest site also has some good stuff on internet copyright and what constitutes published.

I point to JK Rowlings<sp> and what she is going through right now. I have no idea if she is guilty or not. But how would you like to open a book and find that someone else has used YOUR idea that you posted on the net? Say a book on the best seller list? Copyright your work, and protect your ideas.

As to a chapter----the warning is don't post a final draft of anything. Or any part of it. Web sites that allow only the first 13 or so lines are wise to do so. It's hard to steal an idea form just 13 lines where as a whole chapter---especially a first chapter--can give the whole idea away. After all, your first chapter sets up the story.

SRHowen
Assistant Editor
Wild Child Publishing www.wildchildpublishing.com

writerPTL
Member # 895

No one's asking what I really want to know. I deleted all the posts with my story and took it off the internet. I'm not worried about someone stealing it, beause what I posted, even though it was a lot, STILL doesn't give the very main plot. The idea, yes, but both the cheater's version and mine could be published and be very different. Plus, It was not a web SITE. It was a web page. It JUST had the story. NO info about me. or any of my other work. Just the story.

What I want to know is can I still publish it? I don't care about it getting stolen, I'm not worried about that. But this is the best thing I've ever written, ever. If I change up the beginning, edit it enough, and it turns out to only be a third or a fourth or a fifth of the final work, would it matter? PARTS of it were "published" but it wasn't the whole work. So I don't understand what the big deal is.

Plus, what's this ELECTRONIC RIGHTS junk anyway? I want it in book form, on paper, not online. I'm not even going for a magazine--it's a book. a BOOK. And *please* don't give me the start-out-on-magazines lecture.

I may sound bitter and grumpy, but this is a very stupid rule that doesn't make much sense. And the idea of not getting my work published because I was showing it to others makes me very upset.

WillC
Member # 185

- posted      Profile for WillC   Email WillC         Edit/Delete Post 
Your annoyance is understandable -- but in this age of e.everything, the rights issue is very strong on published work. Pretty much, once anyone has publicly seen your work, outside of a specific crit group/workshop, your story falls to reprint catagory. Sucks.

Oh, JP -- V:TES rules!

WillC
V:EKN Prince of Reno.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
writerPTL
Member # 895

You don't understand.

I will try not to slip into complete arrogance...

I am writing on a level close to that of Orson Scott Card and Stephen King. I'm sorry, that's very braggish, but it's true. Many people like the story but don't seem to realize--I'm 12. If I'm already writing way up there, I will be phenomenal in a year.

This book could hit big. BIG big. And I will not accept that because I posted it in a few places it is a "reprint". "Print" means place on paper--it wasn't on paper except a single copy I own.

If I get this finished, I will ask the publisher. I will do what I can. Because this is good.

I know, it's arrogant, but I can't just be modest any longer. This was not a four page junky story. It is not cliche. It is original, well-written, and GOOD. For a 12 year old, it IS incredible. I'm sorry, I'm usually so modest. People say it's so wonderful, beg for more, and I just say "thanks". Only 5 people out of over 20 that have read it had ANY critique.

I can't accept this. I'm sorry, I just can't. I will find a publisher that knows what he's got.

This isn't frustrating--if there's no way around this, then i will be more upset than I have ever been before. I will do whatever it takes to get this in print, electronic rights or not.

I'm sorry, I'm not usually this rude. I'm really not. But this is horrifying--not just ANNOYING. I have gone far beyond that. If I was rewriting four pages, then, OK, fine. Maybe even ten manuscript pages. But SEVENTY manuscript pages of the very best thing I have ever written, something a lot better than what many, many, college students are writing--no.

I refuse.

srhowen
Member # 462

When you sell a book you give the publisher in your contract, rights to your book. With the advent of electronic versions of books publishers don't want to loose that right. It's a legal thing. Not some “this rule isn't fair” designed to defeat you. And Web site verses Web page doesn't matter. You're nit picking there. Believe me they will ask you if it has been on the net—the whole thing? Part of it? A sample chapter or two? It doesn’t matter how good the book is---if the electronic rights are gone—chances are it will have a hard time selling. You might only want to see it in print—but the publisher cares about the bottom dollar of a piece---and they will cringe at loosing the e-rights. Why? One thing is that work on the web is so easy to barrow and steal. (and you are also nit picking the word print here)(“Print” refers to any sort of print on your monitor or otherwise) NO publisher or agent wants to deal with a plagiarism law suite. Below is a list of what sort of rights a publisher may want.

hardcover
trade paperback
mass market paperback
digest
abridgment
condensation
selection
anthology
collection
book club
reprint edition
first serial
syndication
merchandising
motion picture (theatrical)
television
dramatic adaptation (live theatrical)
radio
audio (books on tape)
multimedia (interactive digital and games)
electronic

My current column at www.wildchildpublishing.com is about a Writer’s Rights.

Simply saying you will not accept the fact isn’t going to change the way it is. It does not fall under reprint rights so much as it falls under the idea that you have given away a “right” that the publisher wanted. Re-print refers to a story that has been published in any form in its entirety and final form.

Shawn

WillC
Member # 185

- posted      Profile for WillC   Email WillC         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed.

One rule of thumb for any proud beginning author -- research your rights issue thoroughly before displaying any of your work anywhere publicly. It will save a headache/heartache later.

WillC.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
writerPTL
Member # 895

IT WASN'T PRINTED IN IT'S ENTIRETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111
srhowen
Member # 462

I am sorry that this has upset you. I'm not sure how much you have printed of it. It sounds like 70 pages or so? That is about a third to a quarter of a book.

Let me tell you a little story. I teach in the middle school---6-8th grade. we recently had a young authors conference here and students submitted "books" they had made to be able to go to a mini writers conference with well known authors that would speak. Not all the books entered were complete--some ended with "to be continued". I read through many entries and the sad thing is--we found several books that the author could not have written. How did we know? For one thing they were out of style with what the student normally writes, they were also at a more advanced stage of writing.

These students went out and found some "free stuff" on the net and cut and pasted and printed and put their name on it.

Their response--"hey it was my work." "stuff on the net is free, so what's the big deal?"

now let's say that a very good student did this. Their writing is always top notch and they just got lazy. Found some "good" stuff and barrowed it. They go on to win the young authors. Years down the road you open a book and Oh my gosh!!!!! It's your idea and story. You try to sue. The author denies it. THE PUBLISHER IS MADDER THAN HECK!

This is why Kathleen doesn't want any more than 13 lines up here I suspect.

If your writing is as good as you say then you should not have any of it up anywhere. No more than what a person browsing in a book store would read is a good rule of thumb. You're latching on to bits and pieces of what we are telling you.

And in all honesty you probably don't have to worry about it much. It may be years down the road before you try to publish the work. I too remember being twelve. I completed my first book in 7th grade. It was the best thing I had ever written. I just knew every publisher there was would be standing in line to buy it. Looking back on the novel now I can see that I was 12 when I wrote it. It was a great piece of work for a 12yr old. But that isn’t going to sway a publisher. The only reason they care about age is that you are not too old to write a few more novels.

Get some adults to read the book that don’t know you are twelve—and see what they have to say. And relax about this thing. Have you taken it off the net? If not, do so. If you do manage to interest a publisher or agent, be honest. Say, “I had some of this on my Web site in 2001—but when I realized how good it was, I removed it.” They may ask you how many hits it got, ect. So see if you can get that info from your Web host.

Writing a book, especially one you see as your greatest work ever—can be exciting and the temptation to share with everyone around is very great. Next time and in the future of this piece, don’t do it. Join a crit group—here or elsewhere, and get some honest feedback from those who don’t care about hurting your feelings and go from there.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited May 27, 2001).]

JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
In reading this thread, a number of things have struck me.
One of these things, Writer, is your age. The way you write, and what you say, screams it. Unfortunately, I feel a need to criticise it, because carrying on talking like that gets a slap in the face in return.
First off, don't compare yourself to people like Card and King. A writer needs to believe that his stuff is good, yes, but you don't tell everyone that 'i'm on the level of Card'. Because you're not. What you are showing is arrogance, and no-one likes that.
Second, don't complain about this issue of rights. It's like complaining that you'll be imprisoned for murder. It's not something you can change, and the mature thing would be to nod slowly, and move on. It bugged me that I couldn't put bits of my novel on the Net, but we have to accept stuff like that. For a first publication, publishers like all the rights, electronic or not. Whether or not you only want it on paper.
I'm sorry that I've been harsh here. I know what it's like to be a young writer, and I understand why you're irritated. Just try to take it in your stride, and if you want feedback, join a Writer's Group.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Writer_Actress
Member # 848

- posted      Profile for Writer_Actress           Edit/Delete Post 
writerptl is my friend taht lives right down the street. he is four months and thirteen days older than me. that's it. he's tweleve, i'm twelve (as of april thirteenth). as for the rule about not posting complete stories here, it wasn't complete. i still haven't completed it, but have forgotten completely about it--no pun intended. MAN. you people can just be so rude when you don't even know what's going on. i side with writerPTL right now, not because he's my friend, but because he is the only one here that understands my position.
Posts: 426 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we're going to be even ruder then.

This open discussion area is part of the writers forum for those age 18 and over.

We are willing to have younger people here if they can act maturely, but we do not have to put up with temper tantrums.

Please stay in the areas set aside for those under 18.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.