Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » After the "big one" what then?

Author Topic: After the "big one" what then?
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so now you can get your mind out of the gutter.

I just reached 70,000 words on my new novel. The big climax has happened procceded by two foolers. Now the question is---how long should the anti-climax be? Can I drag it out for 10,000 words? There are small story questions to be resolved but I don't see them taking over 5,000 words to end.

The story is First Person, Alternate History--any ideas on min length for those?

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't try to prolong your story. If it's reached the end, it's reached the end. Only worry about length after you've finished the story. As for that, well, I'm not sure. I asked a question about it a while ago, so clearly I'm not the person to ask...
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove
Member # 390

- posted      Profile for TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove   Email TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I salute you on your work of finishing your novel. Sometimes, it feels to me like I'm never going to get there!

I'm going to use my own experience as a reader here to give you advice, because I haven't finished my novel.

I hate novels that "drag on" after they are finished. I also don't like it when novels don't give a nice resolution after climaxing.

Come on now, "minor" plot threads, that need wrapping up? All those minor plot devices should wrap up before the climax, you know that.

It seems to me that all that should be left after the major crisis is over is one final chapter that shows the character achieving what it is they wanted. The young hero and heroine married, or whatever.. It doesn't need to be long, just give the reader what they wanted to see through the whole book-- The character's at peace.

Posts: 473 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

The small story questions were of the --ok he defeated the evil so does he get the girl type of question---the novel is done at 73,000 words with a wrap up chapter of 1,800 words.

Shawn

SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with TUML. When it's over, it's over. Don't drag it on... usually the stuff that author's put in at the end reallyc could've been left out, in my limited experience.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamweaver
Member # 1034

- posted      Profile for dreamweaver   Email dreamweaver         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with both of you! sometimes I just wish I didn't have to finish that last chapter or so, because sometimes it is so boring. All I really cared about was-will he live through his ordeal or whatever, destroy the evil and get the girl? You see, even though I usually know the answer to this question, I still go on reading, just to know that nothing else important happens. Usually nothing significant happens, but I still read it anyway. Sometimes it may be good to leave the reader with unanswered questions, so you can answer them in your sequel *wink wink*. I also wanted to know how old you are because that's really cool that you finished your first novel. If you didn't already answer this question, how long did it take you to right. I am hoping to get mine finished sometime this year or so. Oh well, congrats.

As always...

-weaver of dreams

Posts: 70 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

LOL how old am I? Hmmm---well I've been writing since Jr. high when I sat writing stories instead of taking notes--I did the same all through high school.

This is not my first novel. It is in fact my fourth, fifth(now that I think about it)(I finished one back in High School)(long since trashed). The first is 325,000 words, (it will be a trilogy eventually) It took 2 years to write. The second is 195,000 words and I will be dividing that one in half. It took about a year to write. My third is more a collection of stories about one character than a novel and went over the 400,000 word mark before I stopped messing with it. I worked it when I was stumped on the others. Don’t know yet what I will do with it. Out of it came my short “Forge of the Night Bird” published by an online magazine.

I have also written a serial story Hidden Truths that the same magazine is publishing. It’s almost 20,000 words long and I have been writing it one 2,500 word chapter a month for the last 7 months. I’m a few parts ahead on it right now and will turn it into a novel at some point.

I also write a monthly column for Wild Child Magazine and I am one of the Assistant Editors there.

Medicine Man, my current novel, is 73,000 words long. It took me four months to write. I write a lot, but I also teach, plus keeping up with my other writing obligations.

Age doesn’t have a lot to do with how fast you will finish something, it does have a lot to do with content, as a person gains more life experiences their writing changes to reflect that. Thus the reason I trashed the first novel I did in High School. Some characters survived, but the story was silly looking at it as an adult.

Even adults that write, write at different paces. I have a friend who has been working on one novel for three years now and is only half done.

Yes, I avoided the age issue. I am an adult with a family.

Shawn

dreamweaver
Member # 1034

- posted      Profile for dreamweaver   Email dreamweaver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I suppose you are right. Age has nothing to do with when you finish stories, but I was just curious. Sounds like you are a busy man.

As always...
-weaver of dreams

Posts: 70 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

I am a busy woman. LOL A lot of people make the same assumption.

Shawn

Writer_Actress
Member # 848

- posted      Profile for Writer_Actress           Edit/Delete Post 
I WANT IT ALL TO END!!!
Posts: 426 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Writer_Actress
Member # 848

- posted      Profile for Writer_Actress           Edit/Delete Post 
okay, in case you were wondering, that was what the reader would think if you dragged the story out for 10,000 more words after the story had already been told and pretty much was over.

Thanks!!

K. Rochelle Johnson

Posts: 426 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.