Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Dictionaries

Author Topic: Dictionaries
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, everyone. I'm JP, and...um... I'm a dictionary-dependent writer.

That's right, I use a dictionary, all the time. Spelling is just a weak suit for me. Never have been good at it, try as I might. Spelling tests in gradeschool were a struggle, and the spelling sections on all those 'bubble tests' were just atrocious. The more I write the better I get, of course. I learn little tricks to help me remember the difference between angel/angle, it's bagel (right?), dessert/desert, descent/decent, but I always have a dictionary handy. It sits not more than 8" away from my keyboard, even when I'm in Word and have spellcheck handy.

But it's (c) 1990, and I have been thinking about getting a new one. Do any of you have any suggestions about what my next dictionary should be? I currently have a Webster's New World, but think I want a Merriam Webster for the next one.

Any thoughts for a dictionary-dependent writer?

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyce
Member # 956

- posted      Profile for Joyce   Email Joyce         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have sitting on my desk a 1999 copy of Webster's New World College Dictionary. I use it frequently, as I am in the same situation as you mentioned. Sometimes, just passing over one word in hopes of it leading me to another that I can use, as well as looking for correct spellings. Another thing that happens is that I need to look up the deffination of a choice given by Word.
I picked up this really great copy at Sam's Club and am very pleased with it.

Joyce

Posts: 27 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a dictionary, a thesaurus, and a synonym and antonym finder. I also use Word Perfect which has a little box that runs on the tool bar that suggests synonyms and antonyms at one click for the drop down menu. I also find WP has a better grammar checker and a better spell checker than MS Word. ( I use both--the 2000 versions) I am very dyslexic—I always reverse blends when typing or writing. Th=ht and so on. I have the auto correct set to fix that for me. I do the same with ou and ie (but not ei--go figure). So forget the spelling, I always have to work at it.

Don’t believe the “you are a writer you should be able to spell" myth. I have found many who can not. For one reason or another.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.