Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Pooh gets bounced by a tigger

Author Topic: Pooh gets bounced by a tigger
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, this has absolutely nothing to do with the subject title, but I couldn't think of anything relevant that would keep my beloved Pooh thing going.
Ahem.
Anyway, I was simply wondering how many people in this forum are serious about writing. By serious, I mean whether or not they want to write and be published. People who want to write for a living are super-serious.
Oh, and if anyone's already super-serious, what's it like?
A serious,
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not serious. I have a very demanding day job. BUT... I have this burning need to write, to created. I actually wrote a short story about it once (it sucked, so I won't share it with you) but in it I describe what this need to write feels like for me.

It's almost like being schizophrenic. When I get in the mood to write, I almost hear voices, and I can usually imagine my character in full force-- what they look like, what they smell like, where they come from, their families, etc. Sometimes I see the world that they're in so vividly and in such detail. I could discuss with you how the realm of Elenaria operates much more intelligently than I could with our own federal government. I get all of these ideas, people, and places bouncing around in my head that I HAVE TO WRITE. It's almost like an exorcism to get them to quiet down for a little bit.

I hate the process, but I love the result. I enjoy writing and in a perfect world I would love to be a full-time, serious, successful, and often published author. But, in the imperfect world I've crash landed in, I'm stuck with my day job...

... Until I finish this book at least.

(Sorry for rambling. It was better than working.)

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Writers come in many shapes and sizes.

I'd submit that any of the ones who actually write qualify as serious. (The ones who only talk about it do not need to be taken seriously.)

There are those who can't not write (and those who sneer at anyone who is not that serious).

There are those who have a life, but love to write, too. (I submit that they may have more to write about that others may find worth reading.)

There are those who make money at writing, but not a living (most writers who write professionally don't make a living at it--it just doesn't pay that well).

There are those who make a living at it, but may not be considered very good writers by those who are "serious" about quality.

I think I'd put myself in the category of those who earn some money at it, but who have a life (and part of my life is helping other writers--something I enjoy doing as much if not more than I enjoy writing).

There are writers who consider themselves "super-serious" who would look at writers who make money writing as mercenary and commercial. <shrug>

All kinds of writers, all kinds of serious.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yee gadds need I even answer this one? I think I have already shown that I am a serious writer--anyone in my group knows that for sure. I also have a life and part of that revolves around helping other writers at an earlier stage in their writing journey. I write everyday—up to 5,000 words a day. I also do some freelance editing and edit for an online magazine. I also do speaking engagements about on-line publishing and writing opportunities on-line. I also have a life.

Being super-serious is a pain in the rear, along with it goes a need to write that borders on the obsessive. Heck I won’t even bother with the borders. It is a compulsion so strong that it cannot be ignored. The search for perfection in the craft is a driving force that leads one on a journey through every how to book written.

But, I have learned that, no I do not write like Pierce Anthony, Isaac Asmove, Marion Zimmerman-Bradley or a host of others. I once fooled myself that I did---I grew out of it by the time I was 16 (thank the deity). I also once thought that I knew it all. I bought writers digest and tossed it aside because I was oh so much better than that.

So being super serious means accepting that you are not a master and never will be until you can look at what you write and go---“Yuck, this stinks!!!” Then you will be on the road to taking the very first important step—you will be willing to learn.

IMHO—anyone who is super-serious is also willing to learn—really learn and not just pretend that they are or say that they are. They live with it each day and writing is so much a part of your life that it is always there like a standby switch ready to kick in at a moments notice.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, interesting question, JK, and provoking response, Kathleen.

--many thoughts swirling around, must take time to sort them out, come back with an answer later--

Ummm, I'll get back to you all on this one...

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

Talk about having your question dissected and analysed. Kathleen, I was just asking a nice, simple, no-brainer question - and by no-brainer I mean that it doesn't take much intellectual capacity, Lance has drained me.
Sili, I totally know where you're coming from (except possibly the schizophrenia, that bit almost scared me).
Lance has drained me more than I thought. I'll be back later.
JK

dragontouch
Member # 688

- posted      Profile for dragontouch   Email dragontouch         Edit/Delete Post 
very, very, very serious. i'm somebody who can't not write- and i'm very critical of what i do write. there are rare days when i think 'oh this is good' but they're pretty rare. and i get writer's block big-time, so bad a couple of times that i was sure i was dying. i'm pretty sure i suck at writing, but my opinion doesn't do much to erase the need to write. it's a big and fundamental part of my life, but it's not the only part.
Posts: 350 | Registered: Oct 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Answer to JK's question: I am very serious about my nonfiction. I would like to be serious about my fiction; that is why I am here.

Suggestion to JK: You could have called this thread "Pooh wonders whether his friend Eor is always somber."

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Liza
Member # 1123

- posted      Profile for Liza   Email Liza         Edit/Delete Post 
I am seriously trying to be a writer, if that counts.

I am also a gardener. One of my favorite quotes is from Thomas Jefferson(not sure how accurate it is): "I am a very old man, but a very young gardener." I think this applies to writing as well. I, too, am breaking into fiction from nonfiction, and I am feeling very, very young.
Liz

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
JK, I'm sure it was a no-brainer, but it really got me to thinking...putting things into perspective. I consider myself a writer, as would my friends and family. I don't make a living at writing, but I love to write when I'm in the groove (which hasn't happened lately). Am I a serious writer? I don't know. If you look at my habbits as of late, you'd probably say no way.

I guess I just need to refocus, recommit. Shawn's posts both inspire and frustrate me. But frustration won't get me to break out the pen and notebook, will it. I think "serious" in reflected in action, and when I get writing again, get something published, somewhere, I'll let you know if I'm a serious writer or not.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

JP, I can sympathise. I'm having exams at the moment, so I can't write (I have to revise instead). It's been about a month since I last wrote anything fesh and new (or even editted old stuff, for that matter). It's driving me nuts!
Nice suggestion, Doc. I never really liked Eeyore, though. Tigger was much more fun...
Oh, and dragon, like the melodrama there(!) Do you write for a living, because then your words could be taken to be quite literal (no writing = no food on the table).
JK

srhowen
Member # 462

To me the no writing=no food is a great example. I have said before and seen it said by other writers who make a living writing--I am not saying become rich--very few serious writers find themselves blocked unless they have an alternate source of income. You can argue--hey even King gets blocked--but if I were making 65mil a year on what I had previously wrote I could afford it as well. LOL That would be the day!

Shawn

srhowen
Member # 462

Oh and btw I am wearing a Pooh night shirt.

Shawn

chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
(I'm new to this forum, so I'll resurrect this slightly stale thread...)

I have no illusions about writing for a living, at least not until I start selling! Besides, my "day job" (I'm a graduate student) is in a field I enjoy. I'm not sure if I would want to write full time.

As far I writing goes, I enjoy creating new worlds, problems, societies, gadgets. I derive more pleasure from plotting my spaceship's orbit and deciding whether to use a gas-core or liquid-core nuclear reactor than I do from the physical act of pecking at a keyboard.

Even so, I really do enjoy the act of writing. I like subjecting other people to all the harshnesses of space and time. I hope I'll hone my craft to the point people will want to read about my fictional characters getting held down and screwed by the laws of physics, and then saving themselves at the last minute.

The major problem I face with my writing, as you've surely guessed, is that my characters are puppets on the strings of my plot, not people. I hope that as I practice my craft, this will improve. (It's my single largest, though by no means only, impediment. Advice? PLEASE? [Yes, I've read OSC's book.])

My favorite writers -- the "Hard Science Fiction" writers (Poul Anderson, Niven, Benford, etc.) -- are all older than I am. I hope to fit into their niche someday.

[This message has been edited by chad_parish (edited June 18, 2001).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
writerPTL
Member # 895

- posted      Profile for writerPTL   Email writerPTL         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you're plotting *too* much. Try letting the characters go and see what they do. Maybe make up their reactions the first time, and the next time, see what they do based on the way you created them. If you want really good characters, the story should revolve around them interacting with physics, not physics interacting with them. Just My Opinion.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
WriterPTL makes a good point.

When you're writing a story about a way cool idea, though, it's a challenge to turn the story over to characters you hardly know.

So my advice, if you want to improve your characterization, is to get to know your characters as well as you possibly can.

There are character questionnaires published every so often in writers magazines. You can also just use personality tests such as the one for the Myers-Briggs personality groups. I'm sure there are plenty of such tests on the web.

You can have conversations with your characters and ask them what they think they would do in the situation you are setting up with your way cool idea. (In fact, you could even interview your characters and find the ones that will go along with what you want to do in the story, more or less--so they'll be interesting and not puppets.)

A friend of mine, after reading a couple of chapters of a novel I was working on, asked me how I thought one of my characters would answer a question she had. For fun, I decided to let the character answer her, in writing. It was an interesting exercise for all three of us.

Characters are never going to be as well-rounded and complex as real people, but it is possible to make them much more complex and interesting than they all too often are.

You don't have to let them take over the story (unless that's the kind of story you want to write, of course), but you should let them grow into people in your mind, let them become believable.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayelle
Member # 1184

- posted      Profile for Jayelle           Edit/Delete Post 
Siligirl, I'm so with you. To me, writing is almost like hearing voices, it burns there until you get it out on paper.
When I get inspired I simply have to let it out, it's all I can think about. That's why I carry a pad and pen around with me everywhere I go.
Once I had to write a poem about Ophelia right in the middle of a Shakespeare exam! I joted down my thoughts quick and went on, but it still burned there in my head until I was free to write it.
As for serious, I want to get published, it's been my life goal since I was a little kid. Proffesional writer? Only in my dreams. My hope right now is to break into the editing world and go from there.

~Jayelle~

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's kind of interesting about that. I've not seriously touched my "professional" writing (the stuff I want to get published) for a couple of years. But probably half a year ago I started writing a couple of "fan fictions" for a web comic I enjoy.

I've actually had this person's character in my head, yelling at me to add scenes in the story that *she* (the character) wanted. And pestering me to write more.

It's to the point I had decided to put this story on hold (it's actually the sequel for an incomplete fan fiction I was writing before it) and found my will for writing just got sucked out of me. I tend to do most of my writing at work, between taking customer calls. But even though it was quite slow at work, I just had no will to write. It's like the inspiration to write dried up with my decision to put off ending the third story and returning to the second.

Another fan fiction for another web comic was going along quite nicely and then the character just quit. In my head, she decided she wasn't going to go another step. She got put in limbo (as it were), and it's now a literal waiting game. It sounds odd, and I know it is odd, but until the character and the story wants to be written... the story is on hold. (To the bemusement and dismay of some of the fans, I'll add. *chuckle*)

I'll stop boring you all to tears now.

As for my normal "professional" stories, yes, those characters talk to me all the time. And they've grown over the years as I try to figure out just what it is about these characters that makes them tick. I joke sometimes that the characters are in fact real, and I'm just being told what happened in the stories by the characters.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
IonFish
Member # 1192

- posted      Profile for IonFish   Email IonFish         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, fan fiction; my curse too.

I've put what Tangent calls "professional" writing (by this I take it he means original work, with a setting and characters completely created by you) on hold as well, while I write a novel-length piece of fan fiction based around a computer game. Still, all is not lost. By not having to think too hard about the universe itself I'm able to concentrate on my characterisation and interaction (which needs work). Plus it gives me time for other ideas to mature, away from the pressure of actually having to write stuff.

BTW, hey Tangent... I see I have at least one compatriot here.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

Okay, a lot of you seem to be saying the same thing here: that your characters talk to you. At first that was worrying in that I thought you were odd people (j/k), but now it's worrying because I'm thinking I'm odd.
Well, more odd than I was before.
I'm quite distanced from my characters, in that I delight in hurting them in new and interesting ways. Perhaps they don't talk to me because of that...
Ah well. I'll just go back to torturing my favourite character (the one I hurt the most, poor bloke)
JK

Tangent
Member # 1191

Actually, JK, despite having the characters in my head (or maybe because of that?), I am quite able to torment the characters in many interesting and varied ways.

Let's see. In one fanfic for a web comic, I've retroactively killed a favorite character, frozen him alive, and tormented him several times with situations that are determined to make his life miserable.

--------

Which game did you write fanfics for, IonFish? I started with the game Homeworld, to be honest... the storyline was so fascinating and the game itself compelling that it just drew the writer out of me and lured me to start writing again after a long hiatus.

srhowen
Member # 462

I don't do fan fic at all and my characters "talk" to me all the time. It is a common writers affliction. bty so is manicism <is that a word?> manic/depression ---so what does that mean---

Writers must be crazy in some way or form---

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited July 14, 2001).]

Tangent
Member # 1191

Actually, my non-fanfic characters (from the two series I've planned) also talk to me, though it's mostly two characters - one in fact doesn't show up for several books. *grin* Rather odd, but interesting.

As for writers "having" to be crazy in one form or another, that's a stereotype. I don't think it's a prerequisite for being a writer that you need to suffer or be crazy or something.

Rob

srhowen
Member # 462

Hmm--well I think you took that one wrong---not crazy in a clinical sense--hey we send out proposals and then we wait franticly for them to come back---then they do in the SASE that we sent to the publisher/agent/ect--what do we think is going to be in there? The same stuff we sent with a little note ( I refer to the large size proposals not the business sized envelope) telling us that they are not taking it. Again and again we do this--heck I have been doing this for 20+ years and I do it again and again and again and again and again---at times it feels like head banging to be sure----so we must be crazy in that --You do what? Are you nuts?---sort of way. And on acceptance--well those have always come as a phone call, an e-mail or the business sized envelope--I have never had the large brown or white 9x12 returned to me with a, “Sure we'd like your piece.” inside. And—

I was being funny! It’s past 1am here. Night all.

Shawn

IonFish
Member # 1192

Tangent:

Well look at that, more Homeworld fanfiction...

By the way Xellos, have you got any further with the Cata fleet logs?

Tangent
Member # 1191

*chuckle* I suppose I should have figured some of the Relic crowd would make their way over to the Hatrack boards.

And your story was fascinating, I must say.

As for work on the Cataclysm Log story, they have been put on hold for the time being, while I work on other projects. While I know there was a big demand for them at one time, to be honest, the face of the Relic Boards has changed enough that there's not much demand for me to finish up those stories. So I can take my time with it now.

Heck, I hope this week (after a recent... change in my work schedule) to finish up on one of my "professional" (ie - publishable with minimal problems) stories, and begin work on the next draft. I tend to be fairly good with revising my own work, so once I start work on it, I doubt it will take nearly as long, even with my continuing to write the CRFH stories.

Thanks for asking though, does the ego good on occasion.

Robert A. Howard

IonFish
Member # 1192

Got linked here by crobato... haven't seen him around tho.

Just waiting for the next part of 'The Trip'... after you linked me to your CRFH stories I went and read the whole comic from the beginning in one sitting... insane. Worth it though.

Don't forget to tell me when you get published... I'll go and buy it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.