Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Character growth

Author Topic: Character growth
Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough, it was a web comic that has made me remember one of the most important things about writing. That the characters grow and learn. If a character remains unchanged, then the character, no matter how well described and characterized, risks becoming two-dimensional.

In my log-style story, I kept wondering why people loved it so much as I didn't consider it a real story. Someone pointed out to me it was my characterizations which made the story so interesting, even though there were really only two characters, and one of those was a secondary character.

Jasor grew, however. He became more tolerant. He overcame the ghosts of his past. And became hopefully a better person. I think that is the reason why the Fleet Intelligence Logs were so popular on the web.

Of course, some stories don't really work well with people growing. Dadaism for instance is too nihilistic to allow for character growth - it's sort of at loggerheads in my opinion. And in a Nature vs. Man style story, when the "hero" ends up dying in the cold uncaring wilderness... what growth do we really see?

But most people don't write in those styles these days. And hey, I figure it's a good point to mention, sometimes little things like this are forgotten consciously. (It's just when we forget subconsciously as well that it becomes a real problem.)

Rob

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
IonFish
Member # 1192

- posted      Profile for IonFish   Email IonFish         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that not only do some stories not work well with changing characters, but within any story you can have both developing and static characters. In fact, it may even be vital to have static characters who do not change their views, in order to provide a contrast to the character(s) that do.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.