Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "published" on the web

Author Topic: "published" on the web
SpaceACE
Member # 1187

- posted      Profile for SpaceACE   Email SpaceACE         Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago, I saw a message that said how much of a story I could post online without it being legally owned by the site, or something to that effect. Lately, though, I haven't been able to find it. So my question is this: either,

a) Where did that message go? (Yes, I am fully aware that the message itself is probably where it has always been, and I am the one who is lost)

and/or

b) How much of a story can I post on a sight before it is technically, or legally, published?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the thread is gone--several people could not accept that if you posted on the web that the piece was "published"--they got rather nasty.

Basically once you have posted a complete work it is considered published by most publishers. This includes things on your site, a web site, a crit group, or a BB. Your best bet is to post no more than 13 lines of any given work and never to post a finished piece of work.

If you sell to a web publisher --and this included works submitted and accepted by a non-paying on-line mag---the first rights are gone. (even if the mag says you keep all rights). You do---but sadly many magazines consider the work already published.

But---think of this--suppose you send your story to an on-line zine--a non-paying one. Your story gets 90,000 hits. Whoa. That's a lot--when you consider that Asimov's SciFi and Fantasy has a circulation of 50,000. (I am sure they sell many more on the newsstand as well)

So--you send the story out for second rights---what a boost to be able to say it is previously published, but received this many hits. It can be a boost in a query letter as well.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vilim Vilimovich
Member # 1196

- posted      Profile for Vilim Vilimovich   Email Vilim Vilimovich         Edit/Delete Post 
Shawn: I'm new to this - what are 'second rights'?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
When you sell a piece you sell first publication rights. When you sell the same piece a second time they are re-print rights or second rights to the piece. Sorry, I should have called them re-print rights to be more clearly understood.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
SpaceACE
Member # 1187

- posted      Profile for SpaceACE   Email SpaceACE         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I think that covers it pretty well.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.