Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Putting an End to it

Author Topic: Putting an End to it
Vilim Vilimovich
Member # 1196

- posted      Profile for Vilim Vilimovich   Email Vilim Vilimovich         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem that I have not seen discussed thus far. I write short stories that seem to go on and on because I find it easy to develop characters and write dialogue, but I can't seem to see any logical conclusion to the story. How do I find the ending? Is it better to start with an ending in mind? What makes for a great ending? How do I develop one?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Megara
Member # 1008

- posted      Profile for Megara   Email Megara         Edit/Delete Post 
Endings are actually more complicated than beginnings sometimes.

For a good ending, you need to go in knowing *what* story do you want to tell?

What events are you telling about? Every story has a plot, a series of events that happens that are logically related. What story do you want to tell?

Let's say you're telling the story of someone leaving their wife.

Your story would start with the conflict between the husband/wife, and the entire story would end when he leaves his wife, because that's what you've set out to tell us. Why, how, when, and what was it like when this guy left his wife?

And now that we have read about everything that was involved with leaving his wife, once he leaves her, it's through. You've done what you've set out to do. You've told us about him leaving his wife.

And the story is over. Now if he meets a pretty girl afterwards, or never marries again, or goes on some wild adventure, that's *ANOTHER STORY*.

This is a story about him leaving his wife. *That's it*. Finito. That's all we started reading for.

Decide *what* you're telling us before you ever get to writing.

Now you do need to go in knowing where the plot itself ends otherwise you'll meander through the entire thing aimlessly waiting for a good ending to hit you. OR you'll write until you run out of steam with the story when your ending might have been five pages back.

So know before you ever put the pen to the paper what it is that you want to tell the reader.

As for developing an ending, and what makes a good ending, that depends on the events in the story.

You don't really need to develop an ending. Just know where it ends.

Go re-read your favorite books and tell me what they're about? Where do they end?

For example a book we all know and love: Ender's Game...(I use this book as an example for everything, so don't mind me...)

*What's Ender's Game about?*

It's about how Ender got into Battle School, suceeded very highly, and beat the Buggers.

*Where does Ender's game end?*

When Ender has beaten the Buggers. Now, Card gives us a little bit more, because he is letting us know what happens to the character we've gotten so close to. But notice where it really seems to end? Once Ender's beaten the Buggers. And what was the story about?

You get my point.

See? OSC knew what story he wanted to tell, and he told us. Given, he gave us a little bit of Speaker for the Dead in Ender's Game, but that was for the sake of the sequel. But OSC got us from point A to point B and did it VERY admirably.

For short stories, go read the Ender's Game short story that's on here. Ask yourself, what is that story about? Where does it end?

Go read a lot of things and ask yourself those two questions.

-Meg

"I'll lay it out for them--I'll draw 'em a Monopoly board if I have to."
"I'd like to see them get from Park Place to GO."
- Ben Stone and Adam Schiff
"Serpent's Tooth"
Law & Order

[This message has been edited by Megara (edited July 16, 2001).]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
(Caveat: I'm an unpublished amateur, as yet.)

I usually write "Puzzle-stories." I find some weird scientific fact or whatever, think of some way to torture a few characters with it. When they figure out what's going on and how to deal with it, that's the end.

But that's just me.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tangent
Member # 1191

- posted      Profile for Tangent   Email Tangent         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I disagree that was when the story ended. The story ended where it ended not for the sake of a sequel, but because that was the ending he had in mind.

The Buggers were dead. But had planned things out so that Ender, who slew them, would end up bringing them back as well. So he would be redeemed.

To be honest, the end of Ender's Game, I kind of assumed he woke up the Bugger Queen on that planet and that's when they began living again. It was only in Speaker for the Dead that I learned otherwise, that he was seeking the *right* planet in which to place the Queen.

Ender's Game was not about Battle School. It was not about the war against the Buggers. It was a story about a little boy who did some horrible things to survive. And in the end managed to find himself.

If Ender had remained on Earth, in the end, he and Peter would have come into conflict. And Ender would have possibly become *worse* than Peter, become another Attilla, another Napolean. Especially as his teammates all believed in him and *would* have worked with him. Except maybe Bean, but I've not read Bean's story, other than bits here and there.

For Ender stopped believing in himself after he killed all the Buggers. In anger and revenge against the "teachers", he destroyed a planet. And then found out that it was for real, not just a scenario to be played out.

In his eyes, he became a monster.

And then... he found the Bugger Queen. And was able to commune with her. And was able (with Valentine's help), to heal. Which is why he became Speaker for the Dead, so that he could help *others* heal. As well as look for a home for the Bugger Queen.

Of course, this is my interpretation of this story. If Mr. Card were to reply, he might say that the ending was done that way for a totally different reason.

Robert A. Howard

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I have never begun a story to which I did not know the ending.

I disagree with some points Tangent made about Ender's Game. The point of the story was that Ender did not know he was doing horrible things to survive. He was told that he was playing games, and he believed what he was told. Ender had great powers of strategy and leadership, and the lies tricked him into using his powers to destroy the Buggers.

The human race destroyed the buggers, using Ender as a pawn. Ender's feelings about being used in this way are very significant to the plotline of the entire saga.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I rarely know the endings of my stories. The specific endings, mind you, I have an inceribly broad idea of where I'm going of course, but I'm not always sure how I'll get there.
And actually, Card himself gave us the actual reason for the post-Bugger war stuff (the finding of the Hive Queen and the Speaker stuff). Well, at least he did over here in an introduction for Speaker. The original premise for Speaker, as I guess most of us know, didn't involve Ender, but OSC found that using Ender as the Speaker worked after numerous attempts at making the story work. Unfortunately, he had to include a whole explanatory chapter at the beginning, detailing Ender's Battle School life and the Bugger War and the aftermath, which he didn't like (I don't like that stuff either). So the publisher he was going to write Speaker for suggested a novel-length Ender's Game, which could include all that explanatory chapter stuff. So the story did really end with Ender's victory, and the aftermath stuff was for the sequel. (Note: I tell this from faint memory of an introduction I read months ago. Should any details be incorrect, I apologise in advance. And should OSC happen by this post, I apologise for telling a story that's his to tell. DOn't want to steal your thunder, mate.)
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.