Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Quasi-medieval background...

Author Topic: Quasi-medieval background...
Ruby
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Ruby   Email Ruby         Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking for some help from those of you who've had to work on medieval-type fantasy backgrounds. I've come to the growing realization that I'm woefully underinformed. Could any of you recommend any books/websites with good, detailed info on life in the Dark/Middle Ages (city life, travel, weaponry, etc.). I'll hopefully be able to benefit from your greater pool of wisdom... Thanks.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Writers Digest books--Life in the Middle Ages For a true look at what life was like.
Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
I repeat my post "Memoriam," but I suggest

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/thud.htm

It is a "how NOT to make a quasi-medieval background" essay.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend Ken Follet's "The Pillars of the Earth." This is a serious suspense novel set in painstakingly researched Medeval England. It really gives the feel for life in the Dark Ages without being a boring textbook or history reference.

Of course, if this is fantasy you can just make up everything. All you need is the creativity to make it interesting and the courage to stick by the rules you develop for your world.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everyone, especially the one about the WD book Life in Medieval Times. Very helpful!!

Here are some other books that may or may not be helpful for you in the depth of their information:

Life in a Medieval City ISBN: 0060908807

Daily Life in Medieval Europe (The Greenwood Press 'Daily Life Through History' Series) ISBN: 0313302731

Life in Medieval Village ISBN: 0060920467

Life in a Medieval Castle ISBN: 006090674X

Castles : Their Construction and History ISBN: 0486248984

Beauty (a fantasy novel, but I read this JUST after taking a medieval history class and was BLOWN away by the historical detail and obscure references). Also good, The Doomsday Book. There's a couple of these, don't know the author, but it's an oldie about a time traveling scientist who gets stuck back in the days of the plague. Oh! And any book from the Brother Cadfael series; I think it's by Ellis Peters... of course, you could always watch many of the "books" starring Derek Jacobi.

Hope that helps!!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Liza
Member # 1123

- posted      Profile for Liza   Email Liza         Edit/Delete Post 
An author named Peter Tremayne also writes a mystery series set in Ireland at the dawn of Christianity. It is not strictly medievel, but shows a lot of the old Celtic beliefs facing off with the new Christian ones. Also shows Christianity in a less dogmatic light.

I think it would also be interesting to write about, say, a fantasy Europen middle age world meeting a fantasy African or Asian, or even pre-Colombian American fantasy world.

My favorite way to learn about a time period is to read well-researched historical fiction, then check on the facts afterwards.

Also, middle and high school history-social studies text books offer a good generalized history, and often come with good references. I like the Prentice Hall Series very much.
Liz

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal crichton's Time line helped me a lot too, even if it is fiction.

NI!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Ruby,

You might try reading Orson Scott Card's Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus, as I am right now. About half the book takes place in the late Middle Ages, and the presentation has enough social and technical details that it might be useful to you.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
orangos
Member # 1242

- posted      Profile for orangos   Email orangos         Edit/Delete Post 
If there's a quest or travel element in your story, this book is a must:

The Medieval Traveller, by Norbert Ohler

HTH

Dave Harrison

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.